Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default Dreger: Flames very much in the market for trades

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worth...ket-for-trades

Quote:
Darren Dreger was on Montreal’s TSN 690 on Thursday morning.

On the Calgary Flames maybe having mixed emotions about being ahead of schedule in the rebuild, during what will be a great draft year:

"Yeah, I mean that makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it. Because the 14 wins they’ve amassed, they’re not going anywhere. Those are in the bank. So you add a piece here or there and maybe you do fight for that playoff spot, and then find out what happens after that and you throw your fan base a bone. This was supposed to be a full-on rebuild. Not just this year, but maybe for the next few years. And that hasn’t turned into the case.

“What I know his this: They insist they’re staying true to course and they are not doing anything crazy to bring in players that are going to improve their playoff chances immediately. What they are looking for though, are players that are age-specific that fit into that young, developing dynamic. So Brad Treliving and the Calgary Flames are very much in the market. They’re looking to make some deals. But they’ve got to be the right deals.

“And they also insist they’re in a position to I guess buy contracts, might be the best way to do it. When you look at some of the contracts out there that appear to be dead money on the books of certain teams, that’s a player that Calgary would take. But that player’s got to come along with a draft pick. Something that the Calgary Flames can turn into a better future ahead. It so far hasn’t materialized, but I know Treliving has made it clear throughout the NHL circles that Calgary is in a position to do that.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #2
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dreger - The art of saying a lot without saying anything.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

We definitely have the cap room to buy dead contracts off other teams in return for them throwing in some juicy draft picks.

The problem is those contracts are usually 1-way players and that increases the log jam in front of getting NHL ice time for all our young prospects who have dutifully stepped up.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As long as the player going the other way isn't a crucial part of the current roster pushing for a spot this season.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
We definitely have the cap room to buy dead contracts off other teams in return for them throwing in some juicy draft picks.

The problem is those contracts are usually 1-way players and that increases the log jam in front of getting NHL ice time for all our young prospects who have dutifully stepped up.
Can we buy these contracts out or can that only occur in the off-season?

We could send them to Addy, though.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I mean that makes a lot of sense, doesn’t it. Because the 14 wins they’ve amassed, they’re not going anywhere. Those are in the bank. So you add a piece here or there and maybe you do fight for that playoff spot, and then find out what happens after that and you throw your fan base a bone. This was supposed to be a full-on rebuild. Not just this year, but maybe for the next few years. And that hasn’t turned into the case.
He just can't help himself. He just can't say anything positive about the Flames without it being a backhanded complement.

And he just can't give up the Oiler mentality that losing = winning.

He is just embarrassing himself at this point - quickly becoming irrelevant on the NHL insider scene.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
[I] He just can't help himself. He just can't say anything positive about the Flames without it being a backhanded complement.

He is just embarrassing himself at this point - quickly becoming irrelevant on the NHL insider scene.
Yup. When DD starts talking, I change the channel. I've never considered him an "insider" and I still don't. The only one at TSN that matters IMO is Bob Mckenzie.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Igster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So the moves Treliving is interested in making are acquiring young talent that will fit into our plans moving forward and/or trying to buy picks/prospects via taking on a bad contract. Where does our surprising start figure into any of this? If we were much lower in the standings we'd be looking to do the same. Non-story.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #9
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Oh good, I was terrified that he'd be saying that the Flames are trying to add 'now' pieces despite what we heard from Treliving.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm.. he didn't mention the leafs once there
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I would not be surprised at all if the Flames are looking for a defenseman in that 22-26 range.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dreger seems to think that finishing in the bottom 5 of the league and rebuilding are not mutually exclusive.

The plan is to build a Stanley Cup team, not a team that just makes the playoffs.

Stay the course on the rebuild, have a plan. If they outperform expectations, its just gravy. Nothing else.

To be clear, it sounds like that's exactly what the team is doing. Dreger's opinion is what irks me.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He just can't help himself. He just can't say anything positive about the Flames without it being a backhanded complement.

Well yeah, I mean, it's just simple math.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Yup. When DD starts talking, I change the channel. I've never considered him an "insider" and I still don't. The only one at TSN that matters IMO is Bob Mckenzie.
Pierre LeBrun is pretty good
No Mckenzie but way way better than DD
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Not for sure. I mean hypthetically we could trade for a bad money deal get the overpaid guy with a pick on top... we could then offer the overpaid guy to another team at 1/2 price (thus making him go from overpaid to reasonably paid) and get something for him.

Flames get multiple futures assets, keep the roster spot open to promote a prospect.

Win-Win.

Last edited by Parallex; 11-27-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #16
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I said in last night's PGT, I'm not a fan of buying contracts if it exacerbates the logjam at certain positions. We can buy a contract if it fills one of our needs (ie RW/2nd pairing D) but we need to keep those who are playing well in the lineup.

It is a weird position for Treliving to be in because he can't trade many of our veterans for just picks because we are kissing the cap floor so we have to probably take on some sort of contract in a trade. However, I wouldn't want to take on players with bad contracts to entice teams to give us a better pick/prospect unless they fill an existing need.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames should have been in on Dillon from Dallas. He could have been a great addition.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
It is a weird position for Treliving to be in because he can't trade many veterans for just picks because we are kissing the cap floor so we have to probably take on some sort of contract in a trade.
I read this so often around here, but we are actually 5m above the floor right now. When we are healthy and send callups back down, we still have 3m or so. Lots of room.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being in the trade market to "just make the playoffs" is not wise.

Being in the trade market to supplement the rebuild and improve the team long term is good.

I doubt Dreger knows Treliving's intention.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Flames should have been in on Dillon from Dallas. He could have been a great addition.
Very true, but in exchange for whom? And dont say Diaz or Wideman because that conversation probably isnt happening.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote