Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cute girls always get what they want. Let it be a life lesson, kiddo.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #22
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Yes, but not all of them act like little brats when expressing them, which is the course you chose.
Cool story bro
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #23
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Probably the same kid who was bouncing around annoying them for the whole game, oblivious to the actual game on the field. lol.

The last hockey game I was at the puck hit the mesh over my head and fell into our seats, we sit right on the glass. My nephew, who is special needs, had the puck under his seat, and the kid next to me, who had been in and out of the row the whole game, had his friends in and out sharing hhis seat, and probably didn't even know the score, went to go get it and I put my foot on the boards, blocking him so my broinlaw could calmly grab the puck from under the seat and give it to my nephew. I felt a bit bad, even though I was smirking. Some of these kids are so friggin annoying, and they have no manners at all the rest of the game.

Anyway I've strayed off, and I can't watch the video at work, I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle, but unless they yanked it out of the kids hands I think it's just the way it goes. Like the lady with the hockey stick last year(?) that was horrible.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched the vid. They didn't do anything wrong IMO. They also weren't the only adults reaching. The announcer made it sound bad but he wasn't in the seats. Didn't look like anyone got their attention. I think the press is making a big deal out of nothing.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #25
Wise Gamble
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If that was my first game there I'd keep the ball don't understand why the kid should automatically get it.
Wise Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Just watched the vid. They didn't do anything wrong IMO. They also weren't the only adults reaching. The announcer made it sound bad but he wasn't in the seats. Didn't look like anyone got their attention. I think the press is making a big deal out of nothing.
Really? Taking the ball, then laughing about it while a kid who wanted it cries, then taking pictures with the ball infront of the kid, then sucking up to the kid after SOMEONE ELSE gives him a different ball?

That's f'n wrong on so many levels. There's nothing they can do to defend themselves - what you see on tape is what you get. How that chick didn't analyze the situation like most rational, adult fans would is just sad. It's a baseball game, and means more to the kid in all likelihood. Give the kid the damn ball and show some class.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #27
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Really? Taking the ball, then laughing about it while a kid who wanted it cries, then taking pictures with the ball infront of the kid, then sucking up to the kid after SOMEONE ELSE gives him a different ball?

That's f'n wrong on so many levels. There's nothing they can do to defend themselves - what you see on tape is what you get. How that chick didn't analyze the situation like most rational, adult fans would is just sad. It's a baseball game, and means more to the kid in all likelihood. Give the kid the damn ball and show some class.

Let's go step by step through your version of the events.

"Taking the ball". Yes, anyone who is at a game is going to try and catch the foul ball. Kids, adults etc. doesn't matter. They certainly didn't take it from the kid. They caught it like everyone else around them who wanted the ball. You seem to think "catching a ball meant for no one in particular and up for grabs for anyone sitting nears" is equivalent to "they stole it from the kid, he had eyes for that ball from the first moment". That's bizarre.

"Laughing about it while a kid who wanted it cries". I would cheer if I got the ball too. Even as an adult I would feel kinda bummed if I missed it. The kid chose to cry. And? Kids cry all the time. It seems suspicious that the people didn't notice the kid crying but not impossible. The kid was facing away from the couple and the couple was facing away from the kid. Maybe they didn't hear him cry because of the noise. Or maybe he'd been whining the whole game and they thought he just started crying again. There is no evidence that their laughing and his crying are related. To suggest they're laughing at him is absolutely proposterous.

"Taking pictures of the ball in front of the kid." Well that's intentionally misleading on your part. They are taking pictures. The kid happens to be sitting next to them. It isn't like she got all up in the kids face and held the ball up while the guy took pics. A man was taking pictures of his excited girlfriend with a ball she caught. A kid was crying. These events are totally separate.

"Sucking up to the kid". I'm not even sure what you're talking about here. Yes the kid got a different ball. Good for him. So what? I went to a Jays game when I was 8. I didn't cry when I didn't get a ball. If I had cried would John Olreud have purposefully hit a foul ball to me and the entire crowd around me part like the Red Sea so I could catch it? Doubtful. Fact of life, not everyone who attends a professional sporting event gets a souvenir.

There is no indication in the video that anyone said anything to this couple. If they were oblivious it is entirely possible they didn't notice. When a person is excited about something like that their perception of what is going on around them is lowered because they are so engrossed by the event that captivated them. In this case the woman and her b/f seemed pretty damn stoked about the ball. No one in the section appears to say anything, be it the kids parents or surrounding fans. Should the couple have stood up and yelled "Are there any children in the vacinity who want this ball? I am obligated by baseball norms to give up this ball" Is it like finding money? If no one claims it within a certain amount of time could the couple have kept it? Or should they have continued looking for a kid until they gave it away?

What if the people the row behind would have caught it and the kid cried? Would those people have to give it up? What about the people 2 rows behind? 5 rows? A different section? What if there is a kid closer to them but he isn't crying? Which kid takes precedent? Is it based on proximity or the level of disturbance that determines who is worthy of the ball? What if they are both equidistant and are both absolutely bawling? Maybe some sort of tiebreaker based on the amount of team gear the kid is wearing?

I've heard soooooo many people, including the guys on Fan 960 morning show, say that giving a ball to a kid is rule #1 in any baseball stadium in the world for anyone who knows anything.

I attended countless Cannons games with my grandfather (RIP) and never once did I ever get the pitty ball from someone. Sometimes an older man or woman would give the ball away if they didn't want it but never, ever was it expected to be given to a kid.

I've also watched enough baseball to know that 99% of the time the person who catches it, keeps it. Ball boys are constantly giving balls to people who aren't under 10 years old.

Same with the mini footballs at CFL games. Those are often kept by adults and not immediately given to the nearest kid.

Moreover, the only ball I've ever gotten from a Cannons game was from my grandfather and I wasn't even there that day. It meant so much to me (I still have the ball) and now that I've read this story all I can think about are a bunch of judgemental pricks harrassing my grandfather because he wanted to save the ball for me and not give it to some little kid.

Likewise, my sister is about to give birth to her first baby boy. My brother in law is a HUGE BB fan. I mean huge. if I was to catch a ball at a MLB game or even Okotoks Dawgs game I would save the ball and make it a gift for my nephew. And yet I'd be worse than Hitler for not giving it to some kid who may be near me. He may not even like baseball and was dragged crying to the game.

Even a hockey example, if I got a game puck over the glass at a Flames game I would damn well keep it. Even if I got a ball at an MLB game I might consider keeping it (although I'd likely gift it to my nephew). Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean that I don't have a kid inside me who wants that ball.

For everyone saying these people are dicks, if Iggy's stick came over the glass when you sat lower bowl would you keep it? Or would you "do the right thing" and give it to the nearest kid. I sit lower bowl maybe once per year. For all I know the kid I would be giving the stick to sits there every night and has a dozen player sticks from all the suckers who give theirs up because he cries. For me, getting a puck or stick or ball would be once in a lifetime. Maybe for the kid it is old news. How do I know? Better be safe than sorry and give it away?

Why isn't Jersey Off Our Backs solely little kids? They get preference right? How come people that win don't defer their prize to a kid? I've never seen an adult get booed for keeping a stick or a puck or anything else free. Free hats, tshirts, jerseys, pucks, sticks are all given away. Whether they fly into the crowd as part of a free giveaway or fly off the playing surface makes no difference. Not all of them are given to children. This kid won't be the first and he won't be the last to not get a prize. What makes him so special?

tl:dr these people may be selfish heartless dicks who wanted to rub it in the kids face but IMO they could just as easily, or maybe even more likely, are just regular people who had a very exciting moment and weren't 100% clued in to their surroundings and now the media is making a mockery of them.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-01-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #28
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

That thanks was for saving me twenty minutes typing the exact same speech. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #29
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If it would be a ball from a world series 9th inning walk off homer, the hell with the kid. A nothing ball...c'mon!
4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I just want to add.

The responsibility of getting the kid a ball lies solely with his father. (or uncle or older brother etc)

If that person catches a ball they have to give it to their kid. If you want to blame anyone for who is at fault for this kid not getting the ball, blame his dad for not bringing a mitt and catching a ball for his son.

Ok, obviously that sounds a bit silly and I'm not being 100% serious but think about it, when you're 5 years old, you are relying on the person who brought you to get you souvenirs. No 5 year old has ever leaped over a 6ft tall adult to snag that elusive foul ball. If it then turns out that the adult has no kids or is nice enough to give it away, then that lucky kid gets a ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLiner View Post
If it would be a ball from a world series 9th inning walk off homer, the hell with the kid. A nothing ball...c'mon!
Having only been to one MLB game in my life, if I was to go again tomorrow (I won't speak for the rest of my life), I would probably keep the ball. It would be a once in a lifetime event for me. Like I said in my long post, for all I know the kid next to me is a STH and has a whole bin full of foul balls and to him it means nothing.

Age is not the determining factor in the importance of the ball to that person.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #31
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should have posed together with the ball and asked the kid to take the photo.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #32
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Let's go step by step through your version of the events.

"Taking the ball". Yes, anyone who is at a game is going to try and catch the foul ball. Kids, adults etc. doesn't matter. They certainly didn't take it from the kid. They caught it like everyone else around them who wanted the ball. You seem to think "catching a ball meant for no one in particular and up for grabs for anyone sitting nears" is equivalent to "they stole it from the kid, he had eyes for that ball from the first moment". That's bizarre.

"Laughing about it while a kid who wanted it cries". I would cheer if I got the ball too. Even as an adult I would feel kinda bummed if I missed it. The kid chose to cry. And? Kids cry all the time. It seems suspicious that the people didn't notice the kid crying but not impossible. The kid was facing away from the couple and the couple was facing away from the kid. Maybe they didn't hear him cry because of the noise. Or maybe he'd been whining the whole game and they thought he just started crying again. There is no evidence that their laughing and his crying are related. To suggest they're laughing at him is absolutely proposterous.

"Taking pictures of the ball in front of the kid." Well that's intentionally misleading on your part. They are taking pictures. The kid happens to be sitting next to them. It isn't like she got all up in the kids face and held the ball up while the guy took pics. A man was taking pictures of his excited girlfriend with a ball she caught. A kid was crying. These events are totally separate.

"Sucking up to the kid". I'm not even sure what you're talking about here. Yes the kid got a different ball. Good for him. So what? I went to a Jays game when I was 8. I didn't cry when I didn't get a ball. If I had cried would John Olreud have purposefully hit a foul ball to me and the entire crowd around me part like the Red Sea so I could catch it? Doubtful. Fact of life, not everyone who attends a professional sporting event gets a souvenir.

There is no indication in the video that anyone said anything to this couple. If they were oblivious it is entirely possible they didn't notice. When a person is excited about something like that their perception of what is going on around them is lowered because they are so engrossed by the event that captivated them. In this case the woman and her b/f seemed pretty damn stoked about the ball. No one in the section appears to say anything, be it the kids parents or surrounding fans. Should the couple have stood up and yelled "Are there any children in the vacinity who want this ball? I am obligated by baseball norms to give up this ball" Is it like finding money? If no one claims it within a certain amount of time could the couple have kept it? Or should they have continued looking for a kid until they gave it away?

What if the people the row behind would have caught it and the kid cried? Would those people have to give it up? What about the people 2 rows behind? 5 rows? A different section? What if there is a kid closer to them but he isn't crying? Which kid takes precedent? Is it based on proximity or the level of disturbance that determines who is worthy of the ball? What if they are both equidistant and are both absolutely bawling? Maybe some sort of tiebreaker based on the amount of team gear the kid is wearing?

I've heard soooooo many people, including the guys on Fan 960 morning show, say that giving a ball to a kid is rule #1 in any baseball stadium in the world for anyone who knows anything.

I attended countless Cannons games with my grandfather (RIP) and never once did I ever get the pitty ball from someone. Sometimes an older man or woman would give the ball away if they didn't want it but never, ever was it expected to be given to a kid.

I've also watched enough baseball to know that 99% of the time the person who catches it, keeps it. Ball boys are constantly giving balls to people who aren't under 10 years old.

Same with the mini footballs at CFL games. Those are often kept by adults and not immediately given to the nearest kid.

Moreover, the only ball I've ever gotten from a Cannons game was from my grandfather and I wasn't even there that day. It meant so much to me (I still have the ball) and now that I've read this story all I can think about are a bunch of judgemental pricks harrassing my grandfather because he wanted to save the ball for me and not give it to some little kid.

Likewise, my sister is about to give birth to her first baby boy. My brother in law is a HUGE BB fan. I mean huge. if I was to catch a ball at a MLB game or even Okotoks Dawgs game I would save the ball and make it a gift for my nephew. And yet I'd be worse than Hitler for not giving it to some kid who may be near me. He may not even like baseball and was dragged crying to the game.

Even a hockey example, if I got a game puck over the glass at a Flames game I would damn well keep it. Even if I got a ball at an MLB game I might consider keeping it (although I'd likely gift it to my nephew). Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean that I don't have a kid inside me who wants that ball.

For everyone saying these people are dicks, if Iggy's stick came over the glass when you sat lower bowl would you keep it? Or would you "do the right thing" and give it to the nearest kid. I sit lower bowl maybe once per year. For all I know the kid I would be giving the stick to sits there every night and has a dozen player sticks from all the suckers who give theirs up because he cries. For me, getting a puck or stick or ball would be once in a lifetime. Maybe for the kid it is old news. How do I know? Better be safe than sorry and give it away?

Why isn't Jersey Off Our Backs solely little kids? They get preference right? How come people that win don't defer their prize to a kid? I've never seen an adult get booed for keeping a stick or a puck or anything else free. Free hats, tshirts, jerseys, pucks, sticks are all given away. Whether they fly into the crowd as part of a free giveaway or fly off the playing surface makes no difference. Not all of them are given to children. This kid won't be the first and he won't be the last to not get a prize. What makes him so special?

tl:dr these people may be selfish heartless dicks who wanted to rub it in the kids face but IMO they could just as easily, or maybe even more likely, are just regular people who had a very exciting moment and weren't 100% clued in to their surroundings and now the media is making a mockery of them.
I haven't seen someone Flip out and go on a rant like this in a long time
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Question is: Did the player intended to give it to the kid? I've seen flames players point at kids before throwing sticks, and even sticking around to ensure the kid gets it. That's a bit different because the play is going on but if I was a betting man, it appears that he spotted the kid and threw it in its direction. A foul ball is different, but if it was intended for him...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4thLiner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #34
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I haven't seen someone Flip out and go on a rant like this in a long time
But there is too much thought and too many rational points for it to count as an oldschool flip out. I didn't insult anyone, use caps to ACCENTUATE a point, use swears or lose my cool. All I did was stand up for this couple who are getting absolutely crapped on for a series of events that could very well be pure coincidence.

Then again maybe they hate kids and really were rubbing it in that kids face. All I'm saying is let's not get too holier than thou without knowing for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thLiner View Post
Question is: Did the player intended to give it to the kid? I've seen flames players point at kids before throwing sticks, and even sticking around to ensure the kid gets it. That's a bit different because the play is going on but if I was a betting man, it appears that he spotted the kid and threw it in its direction. A foul ball is different, but if it was intended for him...
That is also true. If someone is marked as the recipient, either by the player, ball boy or anyone else, then they are entitled to that ball.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #36
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But there is too much thought and too many rational points for it to count as an oldschool flip out. I didn't insult anyone, use caps to ACCENTUATE a point, use swears or lose my cool. All I did was stand up for this couple who are getting absolutely crapped on for a series of events that could very well be pure coincidence.

Then again maybe they hate kids and really were rubbing it in that kids face. All I'm saying is let's not get too holier than thou without knowing for sure.
Ha, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I actually agree with a lot of what you said, but I also think that it's pretty clear that couple are dbags in a more general sense so I'm okay with them getting crapped on.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #37
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

I gotta agree that putting the couple on primetime tv is going too far. They don't deserve it. For all I know, they might have a sick kid dying and they thought it would liff his spirit. Who knows!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #38
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

... This being said, she also looks like a bitch that might be a candidate for Real Housewives of Texas.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #39
4thLiner
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Oops, I'm new to CP. I meant, she looks like a high maintenance person...
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #40
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

What if they were excited to take the ball home and give it to their little gaffer? They didn't snatch it from his hands. My kid would be upset if I gave away a puck i'd caught but no one in the rink would know what happens after the fact.

If the player want's it to go to a kid then it should, most people are aware that is happening as the player will point or wait for eyecontact before throwing a souvenier, and there should be no one scooping it.