Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #341
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
kind of like blazing saddles.
No, Blazing Saddles was pretty clear, you were laughing at the racists, most of those TV shows were more a case of, we are going to pretend we're laughing at racism in order to make racist jokes.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #342
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Going into the Cockpit of jets while on a flight. I will always remember seeing the mountain ranges of Greenland. Really neat experience.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #343
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
McHappy Day at school - where you watched a film at lunch (some live action cruddy Disney movie starring Dean Jones) while eating McDonalds hamburgers. I can't imagine that still goes on.
Or Texas Doughnut day.
We also had a "Church's Fried Chicken" day - where they gave us a little Styrofoam airplane. My grade 3 class collectively decided it would be HILARIOUS if when our 70 year old teacher came into the room - we jump from behind our desks and throw our planes at her. How could that not be funny? Well we did it, and she just quietly went over to her desk and started crying. Ugh.
Texas doughnut day was the best. I loved those so much. I remember when I finally convinced my parents to order me two doughnuts instead of one and it was incredible.

My kid's school doesn't do doughnuts but they still have special lunch days. I believe it is once a month and it rotates between options. Last year it was Little Caesar's Pizza and Subway. This year they also added Edo Japan and one other option (which I don't remember) to the rotation.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #344
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
kind of like blazing saddles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
No, Blazing Saddles was pretty clear, you were laughing at the racists, most of those TV shows were more a case of, we are going to pretend we're laughing at racism in order to make racist jokes.
Yeah, Blazing Saddles mocks racists. But in order to mock the racists it depicts racism, which people have become so sensitive to that it's taboo to even show it being mocked.

Same with All in the Family. Probably the most stridently progressive TV show ever made. But in order to challenge the bigotry of Archie Bunker, they had to show him being bigoted. Taboo. So it's never shown anymore, and I don't think Netflix has picked it up.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #345
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All in the Family is on nightly if I recall correctly. One of those specialty channels that shows older sitcoms. Certainly no one is shying away from it. All of these old Norman Lear sitcoms probably have long standing syndication deals that predate even the idea of Netflix.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 01-13-2017 at 05:08 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #346
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I remember they had a great episode of all in the family where Archie and his son in law were trapped in a room and Archie explained why he was who he was and it was pretty heart breaking because all of his view points were passed to him by his father, and in the end he was starting to realize that his dad was wrong about a lot of things.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 PM   #347
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

While moonlighting for Munson's Cab, Archie gives a ride to Sammy Davis Jr. He finds a rare moment to set aside his prejudice when the star sops by the Bunker's house to pick up the briefcase he left behind.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 PM   #348
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
We played that when you fumbled the catch you had to run and touch the wall before someone picked it up and threw it at the wall. If that person beat you to the wall they got to throw it at you.

Anyone play that way?
At my elementary school we called the game "White" cause there was this big white stripe going up the outside of the gymnasium. Somehow the striped played into the game and if you hit it there was another rule. Many, many recesses were spent playing that game.

Reminds me that one day the entire class got our mouth duct taped shut by the teacher. The thought of that now seems unbelievable.
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #349
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if teachers still do this or how common it was but when I was in elementary school there was always a possibility of having your desk dumped if it got really messy and you couldn't find something. We had one grade three teacher that was notorious for dumping desks. I was in his grade 3 class, he was actually an awesome teacher and one of the best I've ever had, and one day he dumped 5 or 6 student's desks together and they had to sift through a big pile of stuff. It was great.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #350
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do teachers even yell at kids anymore? I had a few who could make you jump right out of your seat.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:01 PM   #351
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The original somewhat more depressing version that we brits got to watch, a young Una Stubbs plays the daughter, she now plays Sherlock Holmes's landlady.
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:10 PM   #352
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Green Avenger squirt guns were very popular during my grade school years. Everyone in class had one and we would end up soaking one another when the teacher wasn't looking. As always someone would get caught and the teacher would confiscate it and by the end of the year should would have desk full of these guns.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #353
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that littering was socially acceptable up until the 1970s is pretty amazing to me. I remember my mom saying that people would throw rubbish from their cars to the side of the highway without a second thought.

Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #354
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
The fact that littering was socially acceptable up until the 1970s is pretty amazing to me. I remember my mom saying that people would throw rubbish from their cars to the side of the highway without a second thought.
Unless it was $100 bills, because as 8 year old me thought $100 was fine for littering.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #355
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, Blazing Saddles mocks racists. But in order to mock the racists it depicts racism, which people have become so sensitive to that it's taboo to even show it being mocked.

Same with All in the Family. Probably the most stridently progressive TV show ever made. But in order to challenge the bigotry of Archie Bunker, they had to show him being bigoted. Taboo. So it's never shown anymore, and I don't think Netflix has picked it up.
You don't even have to go that far back.

I've been watching That 70s Show a lot, and Red says some pretty awful things.

It's hilarious because that's what a 70's dad who fought in Korea would be like, but some of it is pretty borderline.

They also make very liberal use of the word "whore". I think network TV had just allowed shows on after a certain time to use it, so they pushed it pretty hard.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #356
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Yeah, I remember the big anti-littering push of the 70s. I only caught the tail-end of the era when littering with socially acceptable, but it was nasty. My grandparents had a cottage near a beach on Lake Erie, and the sand would be littered with drink cups, chip bags, coke bottles, etc. People would just get up and walk away from their trash without giving it a thought.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #357
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I remember the big anti-littering push of the 70s. I only caught the tail-end of the era when littering with socially acceptable, but it was nasty. My grandparents had a cottage near a beach on Lake Erie, and the sand would be littered with drink cups, chip bags, coke bottles, etc. People would just get up and walk away from their trash without giving it a thought.
Do people generally know that's the genesis of the phrase "Don't mess with Texas" ?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #358
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 01-14-2017, 05:55 PM   #359
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #360
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Slinky