Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2014, 12:30 PM   #21
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
...There should be a law about microwaving fish in public. The smell lingers for hours and I hate that smell.
Hear, hear. I second that motion. But say that to a person, and you've got an enemy for life.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #22
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I have the radio on at all times in my cube and it tends to drown out the ambient noise.
If one of my co-workers had the radio on in their cubicle, it would drive me nuts and I'd definitely ask them to turn it off/use headphones.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #23
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My biggest pet peeve must be people who take their calls on speaker phone like they're rocking an office.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
My biggest pet peeve must be people who take their calls on speaker phone like they're rocking an office.
Holy. Crap. CubicleGeek. Wow. How long have you been waiting for this?

Its your time to shine man.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #25
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't wait to have 4 walls instead of 3... I absolutely hate having to sit in a cube! One day...

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #26
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Generally people will do whatever they want, regardless of the proper ettiquette. Trying to ask people to change will likely only make the problem worse. It really is a "suck it up" type situation.

On this topic, I really don't understand why companies are moving to lower cube walls and more open 'collaberative' areas. I found it was just more distracting as I could hear phone calls from three cubes down and they were just talking at a normal level. Any coverstaion just carried arcoss the "bullpen" and it was hard to focus. There was minimal collaberation but lots of distractions. Hope to see this trend reverse.

Well there are many reasons for it. Going to cubes is usually a fiscal decision. Generally they have a smaller footprint than an office for real-estate costs it makes sense. Just lowering the height of cubicle doesn't necessarily encourage collaboration. There are many factors that go into it. It shouldn’t be looked at as solely a collaboration thing or a fiscal move. It should be looked upon in terms of productivity and well being.The success of businesses today depends on the health and wellbeing of employees. Spaces need to promote interaction, movement and productivity across different types of tasks to achieve productivity and wellness in the work place. Having a variety of work settings in the office is key to achieving

There are 6 attributes of wellness in the workspace:

1) Optiminsm
2) Mindfulness
3) Authentcity
4) Belonging
5) Meaning
6) Vitality

Sometimes these aspects get groups into larger terms:

Physical wellbeing
Emotion welbeing
Cognitive well being

If you are into this stuff there are some articles about the research behind this.

Wellbeing
https://village.steelcase.com/commun...ng-sales-tools

Wellbeing Bottom line
http://360.steelcase.com/articles/we...issue-article/

Does your environment undermine wellbeing
http://http://360.steelcase.com/arti...ine-wellbeing/

In my time in the industry I have seen many corporation go from the closed environment to an open environment. Some have succeeded while other have failed miserably. The motivating factors for changing have a large influence on which way they end up.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #27
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Generally people will do whatever they want, regardless of the proper ettiquette. Trying to ask people to change will likely only make the problem worse. It really is a "suck it up" type situation.

On this topic, I really don't understand why companies are moving to lower cube walls and more open 'collaberative' areas. I found it was just more distracting as I could hear phone calls from three cubes down and they were just talking at a normal level. Any coverstaion just carried arcoss the "bullpen" and it was hard to focus. There was minimal collaberation but lots of distractions. Hope to see this trend reverse.

Well there are many reasons for it. Going to cubes is usually a fiscal decision. Generally they have a smaller footprint than an office for real-estate costs it makes sense. Just lowering the height of cubicle doesn't necessarily encourage collaboration. There are many factors that go into it. It shouldn’t be looked at as solely a collaboration thing or a fiscal move. It should be looked upon in terms of productivity and well being.The success of businesses today depends on the health and wellbeing of employees. Spaces need to promote interaction, movement and productivity across different types of tasks to achieve productivity and wellness in the work place. Having a variety of work settings in the office is key to achieving

There are 6 attributes of wellness in the workspace:

1) Optiminsm
2) Mindfulness
3) Authentcity
4) Belonging
5) Meaning
6) Vitality

Sometimes these aspects get groups into larger terms:

Physical wellbeing
Emotion welbeing
Cognitive well being

If you are into this stuff there are some articles about the research behind this.

Wellbeing
https://village.steelcase.com/commun...ng-sales-tools

Wellbeing Bottom line
http://360.steelcase.com/articles/we...issue-article/

Does your environment undermine wellbeing
http://http://360.steelcase.com/arti...ine-wellbeing/

In my time in the industry I have seen many corporation go from the closed environment to an open environment. Some have succeeded while other have failed miserably. The motivating factors for changing have a large influence on which way they end up.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #28
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
As a proud owner of a real office; this is still something that will still happen and be annoying, even in offices. Some of my coworkers use speaker for all calls and don't bother with closing the door.

At least I can close mine if its really bad.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #29
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only thing I hated about fuzzies was no screen privacy while I'm on CP for 90% of the day.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_aaron View Post
If one of my co-workers had the radio on in their cubicle, it would drive me nuts and I'd definitely ask them to turn it off/use headphones.
Well obviously I keep the volume to a low level and it's on 960 so it's not all say music just talk radio. Never had a complaint from anyone in years and two or three different jobs.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:35 PM   #31
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the heck do you people sleep at work?
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #32
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

cause they stay up all night?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #33
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our office is pretty relaxed except when the HR person starts slamming doors, and having hissey fits. Yes the HR person. Because it is OK to tell inappropriate jokes or speak loudly when she is involved. But if she's not...........

But really in any office environment you need to be aware of other people, everyone will feel differently about these topics so you do have to respect all of them.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #34
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Holy. Crap. CubicleGeek. Wow. How long have you been waiting for this?

Its your time to shine man.
Finally! Some well deserved recognition from this lousy forum.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CubicleGeek For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #35
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've done my time with cubicles, open concepts, round tables, etc.

Holy hell am I happy that I work from home.

I can talk as loud as I want.
I can work in my pajamas.
I can surf CP (on a separate screen)

Don't have to put up with any of the crap you guys and gals are talking about.

That being said, I feel your pain. I really do.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #36
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I tried headphones but then I can't hear people calling me or if they come into my area I get scared.
You need to get a rear view mirror!

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm

I mount it right on the corner of my monitor and it works wonders. You can easily spot lurkers, know when to close browsers, and ignore that co-worker who wants to chat about their kids/pets/other lame thing.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #37
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the only open setup of four cubes in my office. And its awesome.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 PM   #38
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Hear, hear. I second that motion. But say that to a person, and you've got an enemy for life.
I've never microwaved fish, but I eat canned tuna slices sometimes as a snack and I'm unbelievably paranoid about the smell. I dump the fluid down the sink and instantly follow it with soap/water to flush. Then I eat the slices as fast as humanely possible (2-3mins), wash out the container with soap, wash the fork with soap, then re-wash the sink. I go on non-peak hours to do it, to reduce people that are exposed, because even with my Dexter like sweep of the kitchen it still smells like tuna. What the heck is in that stuff?!
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #39
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm on my last week of cubicle life. Moving in house and getting office. I can't wait but also I'm expecting it to be a little lonely for the first little while
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #40
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
You need to get a rear view mirror!

http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...ws/reviews.htm

I mount it right on the corner of my monitor and it works wonders. You can easily spot lurkers, know when to close browsers, and ignore that co-worker who wants to chat about their kids/pets/other lame thing.
hmmm but I still may get spooked easily seeing a person in the mirror. It's better when I hear footsteps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
I'm on my last week of cubicle life. Moving in house and getting office. I can't wait but also I'm expecting it to be a little lonely for the first little while
You need to email for visitors.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote