Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #681
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
What do you mean US DNS thingies, a US DNS provider?
I think so, yes. I changed the DNS numbers in the settings in my X-Box to the ones I'm given by unblock-us.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #682
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ah ok, yeah my only concern about unblock-us and the like with DNS settings (and any DNS provider) is privacy; they'll have a record of every site visited and when. I don't mind so much for a large company that has a policy about what they do with that info, but unblock-us doesn't even mention it in their privacy policy.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #683
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ah ok, yeah my only concern about unblock-us and the like with DNS settings (and any DNS provider) is privacy; they'll have a record of every site visited and when. I don't mind so much for a large company that has a policy about what they do with that info, but unblock-us doesn't even mention it in their privacy policy.
I've only changed the DNS settings on my PS3 and Xbox, and not my router or computers. Should I still be concerned about privacy?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #684
photon

Exp:

I was just thinking about that, I was thinking about changing it on my router so all my devices would get different DNS settings, but if you do it that way (device by device) then it's less of an issue IMO.

Them knowing when my PS3 connects to a game server or Sony to download an update isn't as much a concern as them knowing my entire family's browsing history.

Good point!
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #685
photon

Exp:

Found a free app that lets you quickly switch DNS settings in Windows:

http://sordum.xoomsite.com/?p=4573
Old 01-26-2012, 12:48 AM   #686
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have also heard that some online banking sites may get pissy with you if you log in from another country. So doing it by device would be good for that - but doing your whole router may cause some issues if you do any online banking. I know an old online money transfer company I worked for would automatically lock your account if you logged in from another country/region.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #687
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playing around, just to confirm...

When I log on to my Netflix account I registered in Canada, I can get both American and canadian content by enabling or disabling the DNS on both 360 and PS3. When I log on to my account registered to an American address/visa, I can do the same.

Probably going to disable my US account before I get hit with charges (on free trial). Hopefuly this is just not some glitch or temporary thing, because it is easy!

And I've developed an unhealthy crush on the woman from Legend of the Seeker which is only on the US version, and I still have 41 episodes to go.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #688
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If this is the way it is now that would be so much easier.

Anyone else confirm?
Anytime you are in the US, you get the US selection. In Mexico, you get the Mexican selection.
(iPad Netflix for business travel for the win)
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #689
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

unblock-us' website says right on the front page that "NOW CANADA CAN ENJOY FREEDOM OF ACCESS TO US AND UK NATIONAL BROADCASTING WEBSITES
PLUS ALL OF NETFLIX AND OTHER INTERNET CONTENT!"

So I guess that means we can all avoid the hassle of jumping through the American credit card linked to American account loophole and just use DNS redirect.

$4.99 to be able to access their DNS server is awesome because it's not only Netflix US you would be able to get but also access to Hulu, Comedy Central, all the major TV network websites, and all Youtube videos, etc. that are region locked for streaming content.

I'd really like to try this out if the push-button method to quickly swap router DNS settings when I need to do this like the app Photon posted. I don't own any consoles and only watch on my PC so using a dedicated console is out of the question.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #690
photon

Exp:

With that app just make sure and flush the dns after you change it and it seems to work fine, tried it a few times.

Only downside is the DNS method apparently doesn't work on the Wii, so I'll have to find another way to get this to work on my TV, then I can indoctrinate my kid with Star Trek!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #691
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
unblock-us' website says right on the front page that "NOW CANADA CAN ENJOY FREEDOM OF ACCESS TO US AND UK NATIONAL BROADCASTING WEBSITES
PLUS ALL OF NETFLIX AND OTHER INTERNET CONTENT!"
I think this was added quite recently.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #692
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This is interesting, trying Netflix out on unblock-us. We are always complaining about missing content on the Canadian version but the US version is missing some stuff that we have, Californication for example.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #693
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This is interesting, trying Netflix out on unblock-us. We are always complaining about missing content on the Canadian version but the US version is missing some stuff that we have, Californication for example.
Yes, missing content definitely works both ways. I couldn't finish Petropolis in the States that I started in Canada....on Netflix.

Still a great deal and wonder how long this price point stays especially based on userid authentication.
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #694
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm sure the American Netflix doesn't have gems like Republic of Doyle and Being Erica!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #695
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I'm sure the American Netflix doesn't have gems like Republic of Doyle and Being Erica!
I tried watching both of these shows and honestly I don't see what you like about them. I couldn't even get thru Being Erica.

Last edited by Notorious Honey Badger; 02-04-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #696
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
I tried watching both of these shows and honestly I don't see what you like about them. I couldn't even get thru Being Erica.
Well I agree neither are good as Little Mosque on the Prairie.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #697
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh man I'm so choked. I was half-way through The Tudors and yesterday they yanked it off Netflix. Hopefully it comes back as that is an excellent series. 8/10 up to where I've seen.

To get my 16th Century England fix last night I watched Elizabeth. Great movie if you haven't seen it.
You could just watch it on the CBC site?
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/More...udors/Season_4
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #698
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Looks like Lilyhammer (Netflix Original) is out today.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #699
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
You could just watch it on the CBC site?
http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Shows/More...udors/Season_4
Wow, for serious? I've been paying a few bucks a pop episode by episode to watch this on AppleTV ever since I posted that.

Anybody know if there is a way to watch cbc.ca through my AppleTV or through my PS3, or do I have to hook up a computer to my TV?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #700
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Wow, for serious? I've been paying a few bucks a pop episode by episode to watch this on AppleTV ever since I posted that.

Anybody know if there is a way to watch cbc.ca through my AppleTV or through my PS3, or do I have to hook up a computer to my TV?
for reals man
I think you may have to hook the computer to the TV, I am not sure about Apple TV or PS3.

I find that i can watch most of the TV Shows I enjoy on the internet legally (most of the time)

CBC streams all their programming, most shows appear within minutes of it being broadcasted in the EAST
Discovery Streams/National Geographic, PBS Frontline, PBS Nova and if you look there are a lot of great shows on youtube - mostly science/crime/thriller documentaries which I enjoy

Last edited by MelBridgeman; 02-06-2012 at 11:07 AM.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote