Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I don't think the system should be basically centered on what allows people to drive unsafe speeds.
Neither do I. But your comment suggests that you are looking to define what is the safe speed for others.

No matter what speed one person is going, someone else will want to go faster (or slower).

Hoping this won't be the case is naïve and doesn't solve the problem.

Accepting that there will be wide variances in speed, and applying a system that better deals with it, seems like a better solution to me.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #42
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If someone comes up behind me doing 30 over, you're damn right I move over, because I don't want that guy anywhere near me. Forcing that ###### to pass on the right would just be making a bad situation worse.
Of course. So do I. When it is safe to do so.
In the meantime buddy is on my arse freaking out.
That's the sh** that drives me crazy.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #43
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Neither do I. But your comment suggests that you are looking to define what is the safe speed for others.

No matter what speed one person is going, someone else will want to go faster (or slower).

Hoping this won't be the case is naïve and doesn't solve the problem.

Accepting that there will be wide variances in speed, and applying a system that better deals with it, seems like a better solution to me.
I do not need to define what the safe speed for others is - the law already does this.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #44
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about just letting the guy going 140 go first?

Again, these situations occur much, much less on European highways because people all play by the same rules
The problem is that Mr. 140 isn't or shouldn't be in the left lane the whole time - so how does Mr. 120 know?

If Mr. 140 is doing it correctly, they would have been in the right lane until attempting to pass. How can Mr. 120 anticipate that Mr. 140 is going to move over and start charging up the left?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do not need to define what the safe speed for others is - the law already does this.
Again, this comment assumes that there shouldn't be a variance in speeds. Which is contrary to all my experiences with life on this planet.

Assuming all vehicles (or all drivers) are the same, is just not practical.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #46
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Agree with most. The most frustrating is when someone wants to pass and won't go over 110 in the passing lane. Then stays there for the eternity it takes to pass going 2km/hr faster than the right lane speed up to 120 for 10 seconds then get back to the right. Unless someone is absolutely bombing up behind me I feel embarrassed when have to make them wait to go by me.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #47
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Again, this comment assumes that there shouldn't be a variance in speeds. Which is contrary to all my experiences with life on this planet.

Assuming all vehicles (or all drivers) are the same, is just not practical.
There should be variance within an acceptable range of the posted limit.
You seem to be of the mind that certain vehicles and drivers are capable of, and therefore should be allowed to drive at higher speeds.
I don't agree with that basic mindset.
I took have experience with life on this planet.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #48
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, you're pretty hung up on this... Let's be truthful here, how often does this happen? Once a year? Don't act like this is what the point of this thread is. Kind of disingenuous to act like this is the point of the thread. Notice how we're not discussing those lunatic grandmas that escaped the raisin farm and go 70 on deerfoot?

I think it's pretty obvious that we're not talking about the ultra dbags, but thanks for attempting to disregard the point by bringing up the extreme. This is why threads like this never get anywhere as far as educating the true menaces, the people that think it's ok to go the speed limit in the left lane because everyone else they're blocking would be breaking the law.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #49
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't view it as catering to the speeders so much as making it safer. Super speeders like that are going to do it anyway, the left/right lane thing makes it safer for everyone rather than forcing that moron to weave through traffic.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The problem is that Mr. 140 isn't or shouldn't be in the left lane the whole time - so how does Mr. 120 know?

If Mr. 140 is doing it correctly, they would have been in the right lane until attempting to pass. How can Mr. 120 anticipate that Mr. 140 is going to move over and start charging up the left?
Assessing how quickly the vehicle behind you is gaining on you is just the same process as assessing how quickly you are gaining on the vehicle in front of you.

If they are gaining on you quickly - more quickly than the time it would take you to pass the vehicle in front of you - simply let them go first.

As for the comment about them cruising in the left lane... well that makes them a bad driver, but it doesn't change the fact that if they are going faster than you, simply let them pass.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #51
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

140 guy is probably trying to do 140+ the entire time the lane doesn't matter. If you're doing 120 it's easy to see them making up ground in your mirrors. How many drivers do 120 in the right lane then suddenly speed up to 140 and ride your bumper? And even if they do then move over ASAP. This is so simple.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:28 PM   #52
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Ok, you're pretty hung up on this... Let's be truthful here, how often does this happen? Once a year? Don't act like this is what the point of this thread is. Kind of disingenuous to act like this is the point of the thread. Notice how we're not discussing those lunatic grandmas that escaped the raisin farm and go 70 on deerfoot?

I think it's pretty obvious that we're not talking about the ultra dbags, but thanks for attempting to disregard the point by bringing up the extreme. This is why threads like this never get anywhere as far as educating the true menaces, the people that think it's ok to go the speed limit in the left lane because everyone else they're blocking would be breaking the law.
I spend a lot of time on the highways. It happens a lot.
I would suggest the left laner side was the group that started arguing on the extremes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #53
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There should be variance within an acceptable range of the posted limit.
You seem to be of the mind that certain vehicles and drivers are capable of, and therefore should be allowed to drive at higher speeds.
I don't agree with that basic mindset.
I took have experience with life on this planet.
No, what I am saying is that there WILL be variance, and therefore the system should accommodate it.

And what does 'acceptable range of the posted limit' mean? Who defines it?

Again, people will always differ on that. So the system should be prepared for that.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #54
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Common sense. I think we generally all know what an acceptable range is.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #55
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Common sense. I think we generally all know what an acceptable range is.
Come on Jiri, do you seriously think that everyone will have the same definition of what reasonable is?

That is incredibly unreasonable, IMO.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #56
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I spend a lot of time on the highways. It happens a lot.
I would suggest the left laner side was the group that started arguing on the extremes.
If you say so. I also spend a lot of time on the highways, and it's not like that for me. On the QEII I go 125. I rarely have these rogue maniacs fly up to my bumper and lose their sh*t on me. Maybe you're not doing it right.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #57
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Come on Jiri, do you seriously think that everyone will have the same definition of what reasonable is?

That is incredibly unreasonable, IMO.
They should. If you are going 30 over the posted limit it is reasonable to think that everyone knows that is not within acceptable bounds
The problem is some drivers think they are somehow magically exempt from those boundaries because they are such good drivers.
My point is the fast drivers are just as dangerous as the slow ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #58
JiriHrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
If you say so. I also spend a lot of time on the highways, and it's not like that for me. On the QEII I go 125. I rarely have these rogue maniacs fly up to my bumper and lose their sh*t on me. Maybe you're not doing it right.

120-125 is my speed too - and I regularly go up the QEII as well.
Depends on time of day and day of week, but encountering the speeding DB is not unusual.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #59
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's busy, I don't even look at the speed limit. I just go with the flow
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #60
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
How do you know the guy behind you is 'freaking out'? What makes you think that?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote