Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #781
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a great experience! Thanks for sharing.

I went Sunday. Never have been to a professional tournament. Didn't get to see as much as I liked as I was with my 3 yr old daughter, but what we did experience was fun. Stood behind the green at 11 for a while where the players move to 12. Of all the players that passed, Brooke Henderson gave my daughter a huge smile. It was really sweet.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #782
RussianSpy
Draft Pick

Hey guys. I'm more of a lurker on here and not a poster but love this thread and thought I could get some good feedback from you guys.

For those who have played Priddis recently, or even walked it during the LPGA, what are your thoughts on the course/facilities? I'm thinking about getting into a full membership between now and next season and Priddis is right up there for me, although I haven't played it in a long time. I'm not worried I wont enjoy the layout. They are selling for 20k for a limited time but I would imagine that would be extended thought the winter. It is a lot of money but I think this is probably a good time to get in if possible.

I'm in the south and Cottonwood is also on my list, it appears there are some people are unloading for about 10k. Played it earlier this summer and quite enjoyed it but the 36 holes at Priddis seems like a major advantage.

Any general thoughts about either of these tracks, or others in the area, would be appreciated.
RussianSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #783
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I haven't played Priddis in years but I was out there for the CPWO and it's fantastic course. Great practice facility as well and the 36 holes are a huge benefit. Personally, I think Priddis is a class above Cottonwood.

Is it an equity membership?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #784
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
What a great experience! Thanks for sharing.

I went Sunday. Never have been to a professional tournament. Didn't get to see as much as I liked as I was with my 3 yr old daughter, but what we did experience was fun. Stood behind the green at 11 for a while where the players move to 12. Of all the players that passed, Brooke Henderson gave my daughter a huge smile. It was really sweet.
If you liked the CPWO I'd recommend checking out the Shaw Classic this weekend. It's evolved into one of the most well attended stops on the Champions circuit and has the feel of a PGA stop. Pretty great field this year as well.

Hopefully we can land a full tour stop someday - either at the Mickelson course or Glencoe if members there have a change of heart. With the huge amount of golf interest in Calgary it would be a success for sure.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #785
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Priddis greens are without a doubt the most brutal greens I've ever played (I played the Hawk 18). Not in bad shape, but soooo much undulation on so many of them. When I played there they were rolling 11.5 and I actually putted pretty well, but putting pretty well there is two putting everything. If you're a regular golfer you'll enjoy it, but anyone with a 15+ handicap could be in for a long round. It's a very unforgiving course.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #786
RussianSpy
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
I haven't played Priddis in years but I was out there for the CPWO and it's fantastic course. Great practice facility as well and the 36 holes are a huge benefit. Personally, I think Priddis is a class above Cottonwood.

Is it an equity membership?

Thanks, yep, it is 75% equity at Priddis. That's the feeling I get as well, it being in a higher class than Cottonwood.

Willow Park (38k, non-equity) and Canyon Meadows(45k, no dues in 2017 if purchased by Dec. 1) would be much more convenient but are in another price bracket for myself. That's what got me looking into Priddis and others slightly further out.
RussianSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #787
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone that has played Wolf Creek - I'm planning on going there within the next week or two. Should I play The Old Course, or The Links Course?
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #788
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old Course is an amazing layout, but is a pretty tough track. I actually don't remember much from the Links course, which I guess suggests it was boring.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:31 PM   #789
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Does anyone here have experience golfing around Montreal? I'm moving there next week, and hope to get in a round or two this fall. Nothing too expensive hopefully - I'll be on a budget.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #790
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Anyone that has played Wolf Creek - I'm planning on going there within the next week or two. Should I play The Old Course, or The Links Course?
I have played this beast three times, all three times I left crying. I found the course to be stupidly hard.

There used to be lots of tall fescue waiting to gobble up your ball.

I find innisfail way more enjoyable and playable

Ymmv.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #791
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I have played this beast three times, all three times I left crying. I found the course to be stupidly hard.

There used to be lots of tall fescue waiting to gobble up your ball.

I find innisfail way more enjoyable and playable

Ymmv.
Which course left you crying? Old course or the links? I generally shoot high 70s/low 80s, so I hope I'm decent enough to at least not get bent over by the course, but my Dad is a high-90's kind of guy, so that's a different story. Though it is rather funny watching him get frustrated.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #792
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always found Wolf Creek over-rated.

It was definitely a bear when it was covered in knee deep fescue. That also made it slow and unenjoyable IMO, as it seemed that someone was ball hunting every hole.

The fescue is mostly chopped down now, which is good. But I found that this merely exposed it as a rather wide open, prairie-ish kind of track.

I fully concur that Innisfail is a far superior golf course.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #793
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've played Innisfail and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have a GC for Wolf Creek, so I'm just trying to make the most of it by picking the better 18.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #794
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Which course left you crying? Old course or the links? I generally shoot high 70s/low 80s, so I hope I'm decent enough to at least not get bent over by the course, but my Dad is a high-90's kind of guy, so that's a different story. Though it is rather funny watching him get frustrated.

I am sure I have played both 18's there. As I recall, the 18 that has the hole along higway 2 is the harder of the two.

I would say that you will be ok, but make sure you have some extra ammo for your dad, as he will likely need it.

Your dad would likely enjoy innifail much more.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #795
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, golfing Muirfield tomorrow morning. Might be my last round of the year.

Hopefully there isn't a frost delay and its not too cold out..
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:42 PM   #796
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Managed to get in 18 at Elbow Springs yesterday. It was cold but not as blustery as the forecast called for and it ended up turning into a decent round. The rain held off for the front nine but we did get a few brief showers on the back nine but not enough to slow down. The thunderstorm conveniently stayed north and east and out of our way as a bonus. Between the crap weather forecast and a tournament they had out there the place seemed essentially deserted. Nobody in front of us, nobody pushing us from behind, course is in nice shape - all in all a good day. Ended up shooting about my normal score. Was striking the ball well (contact wise) but as usual was spraying them all over the place despite not being able to hit a bad shot on the range before we started. WTF is with that? Slicing used to be my mortal enemy but I seem to have developed a pull now with my irons, but not with my woods. Hoping to get out once or twice more this season, we'll see how that goes.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #797
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey folks,

I'm looking to get one last round of golf in this Sunday and I'm looking for a playing partner. My buddies have put the clubs away for the season.

If anyone is interested I have a tee time on Sunday morning at 8:21 a Springbank Links. Cost is $75 including cart.

Send me a message if you want to join me.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:51 AM   #798
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm. I am playing springbank at 1:09. I wonder if I would be done and just make it a 36 hole day.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #799
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was at Banff Springs this weekend, was one of the longest rounds I've ever played (nearly five and a half hours) and it was because there must have been an alcoholics convention at the course. The Marshall informed us that every group in front of us was "hammered" and that the cart girl couldn't make it more than a few holes before she was dry and had to head back to the clubhouse for more. Never really seen something like that.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #800
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hmm. I am playing springbank at 1:09. I wonder if I would be done and just make it a 36 hole day.
8:21 tee time should easily get done around noon that morning. I think there are only a few tee times before 8:21 so the course should be moving pretty quickly.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow