Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #1521
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So from now on, everyone in this thread should refer to wheels - excuse me, I mean rims - as "dubs", even if they're not 20", just to see what happens to Zamler.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #1522
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Technically wheels are not rims.
That I get. I've just never heard of that grinding anyone's gears.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #1523
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its been a thing in car culture for about a decade. Shows like "pimp my ride" changing people's outlook on modifying vehicles and along with it people got sick of the term "rims" being overused and it became the term for "blinged out" wheels and not just normal sets

So to most car guys, this is a wheel

Spoiler!

This is a rim

Spoiler!

You'll get flamed on most car forums for using the word rim. So that's where zamler is coming from

Last edited by btimbit; 08-28-2016 at 09:25 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 06:23 AM   #1524
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Okay thanks for the explanation. This is the only forum I go to and at 39 years old, rim is the main term my friends and I have used since we were 16. We're definitely not part of the 'ride on dubs' crowd lol. Guess I just missed the memo.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #1525
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any thoughts on age limitations on winter tires? I have a set of XIce2's that are 8 years old - we generally only put 6,000km a year on them. Not down to the wear bars, and not cracking.

As I might keep this car another 5 years, I'm deliberating an early replacement as I might as well get the benefits of a fresh set of tires vs running these right to the end.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #1526
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Any thoughts on age limitations on winter tires? I have a set of XIce2's that are 8 years old - we generally only put 6,000km a year on them. Not down to the wear bars, and not cracking.

As I might keep this car another 5 years, I'm deliberating an early replacement as I might as well get the benefits of a fresh set of tires vs running these right to the end.
Even without cracking the rubber might be getting hard from the age. How were they stored when not in use?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 AM   #1527
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay thanks for the explanation. This is the only forum I go to and at 39 years old, rim is the main term my friends and I have used since we were 16. We're definitely not part of the 'ride on dubs' crowd lol. Guess I just missed the memo.
I'm old and a car guy and understand what you mean by rim. Rim, Wheels, Dubs, "shoes"... all the same to me. Maybe because i'm a former ricer (flame away) might have something to do with it?
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM   #1528
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

Bimbit is correct

After 8 years its no longer about tread depth is about the hardness of the compound and they will not perform where they should. If these were all seasons I would still be hesitant but for winter tires I would say replace them.

Car manufactures suggest replacing after 5 years regardless of use and most tire manufactures fit into the same boat. A few companies like Michelin have developed tires that have a compound that can last 10 years but they suggest quarterly inspections after 5 years.

Speaking of tread depth its a common consensus that once you get to 6/32th on a winter tire you should consider replacement.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 AM   #1529
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, thanks that more or less confirms what I was thinking in terms of 8 years getting a little long in the tooth. They were stored, in covers, on a rack in the garage off season so they should be OK from UV.

I might give the Blizzak WS-80's a go this time round if they keep their pricing advantage over Michelin in place for 2016/17

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 08-29-2016 at 10:46 AM.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #1530
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I personally go for the winter tire with the most siping as chinooks are havoc on snow covered roads and they end up being partial snow, partial bare and partial ice roads. I used to go with studded but the last two winters I moved away as the roads were often bare and I found I could get better overall performance with a heavy siped winter tire. Siping also helps dissipate heat vs increase heat (studded) which will help with longevity of the winter tire on bare roads.

I buy new winter tires every 2 seasons as I put them on early and keep them on late and so far in my opinion the best I have run have been the Federal Himalaya's(cost and performance) the Xice 3(fitting name, amazing on ice) and the Blizzacks (Slightly better then the Federals, 3 times the cost). I really like Hakka's for snow traction and ice as well but they wore so unbelievable fast I don't think I could buy them again.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #1531
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the car I have Federal Himalayan's, best bang for the buck for sure, no issues what-so-ever.

On the SUV I bought the dealer factory winter wheel option, with Michelin X-Ice3's, equally as good as the Himalayan's. When the Michelin's require replacement, I will go with Federal's on the SUV.

Anyone looking for a nice set of winter wheels, I have some 17" 5x120 OEM wheels off a GMC Terrain for sale, will fit a myriad of cars and SUVs, mostly GM products. CP price $100 per wheel.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 08-29-2016 at 05:30 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #1532
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of the Himalayans, I am selling a set (in the CP buy/sell). Without setting myself up for failure, I haven't sold tires before and not sure if the price I set is right for 3 year old 195/60R15 without rims? I really don't know if $200 is too high or low. They were about $470 new from UrbanX.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:11 PM   #1533
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I personally go for the winter tire with the most siping as chinooks are havoc on snow covered roads and they end up being partial snow, partial bare and partial ice roads. I used to go with studded but the last two winters I moved away as the roads were often bare and I found I could get better overall performance with a heavy siped winter tire. Siping also helps dissipate heat vs increase heat (studded) which will help with longevity of the winter tire on bare roads.

I buy new winter tires every 2 seasons as I put them on early and keep them on late and so far in my opinion the best I have run have been the Federal Himalaya's(cost and performance) the Xice 3(fitting name, amazing on ice) and the Blizzacks (Slightly better then the Federals, 3 times the cost). I really like Hakka's for snow traction and ice as well but they wore so unbelievable fast I don't think I could buy them again.
Nice to see you like the Himalaya while having tried the other main ones (XIce/Blizzacks). Was recommended the Himalayas and they've been great, but they're the only winters I've used. Value is hard to beat.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:50 AM   #1534
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought the good version of the himalaya's were discontinued and the current version is not as good as the legendary ones everyone loves. I may be mistaken though, i just remember not being able to get them last year when i was looking for new winters.

On that note, i settled on Cooper weather masters and they were fantastic, despite the dry winter.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:49 AM   #1535
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Based on what I've been reading, it's probably easier to ask which brand/types of winter tires should be avoided. I'm having trouble deciding if paying way more for a well known name is worth it anymore with these.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #1536
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Based on what I've been reading, it's probably easier to ask which brand/types of winter tires should be avoided. I'm having trouble deciding if paying way more for a well known name is worth it anymore with these.
Honestly, one of my favourite sets I've ever had was also the cheapest I've ever had. Goodyear Nordics from Canadian Tire. Also studable If you want to go that route
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 AM   #1537
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Honestly, one of my favourite sets I've ever had was also the cheapest I've ever had. Goodyear Nordics from Canadian Tire. Also studable If you want to go that route
I ended up ordering a set of Goodyear Ultra Grip tires for my car. They seem like a good mid-range priced tire and I expect to be doing more mountain driving than normal this winter so I hope they work out. I went through a local shop instead of Costco.

Now to find some storage covers...
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #1538
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Good point. Other than the real cheap off brand imported tires, you really won't be wrong with any winter tire and you will not notice too much in your daily driving. you'll get so many recommendations for different tires and you'll probably notice nothing between them other than they work in winter. it's not like you're testing on a winter track and want to get those few extra tenths in lap time or something.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #1539
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

What matters to you?

Stopping distance and having grip on the road?

Then virtually any winter tire will do. My cheap-ass Kumho Izens do that.

But they handle like ####, are loud and are terrible on rain. Also they're done for after just 40K.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #1540
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone use PMC before? I am considering ordering a rim (wheel) and winter tire combo from them, significantly cheaper than tire rack. Tires are slightly cheaper at Costco but I'd have to get rims separately and then deal with the hassle factor of an install at Costco.

Just want to see what kind of experiences people have had with PMC.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote