Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Drummer if you are interested there is an alphabet made for ALS using eye movements. It can help you both with communication if he loses his ability to speak. Google Jason Becker (guitarist) and his dad Gary to find out more info on it.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #22
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Renowned journalist Ted Koppel conducted a series of interviews with former Sociology professor Morrie Schwartz during the last year of his life after being diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease). This series is among the most requested and widely discussed Nightline series of the last 25 years. Watching the night they aired was Schwartz's former student and sportswriter Mitch Albom who was then inspired to reconnect with his former professor and write the best-selling book Tuesdays With Morrie.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 AM   #23
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tonight my parents and sister flew back home to Winnipeg. It was a bitter sweet day knowing that it was the last time my father will be in Calgary. Still so hard to believe this is happening. He looks "fine" today.
My sister knows something is wrong. They will break the news to her very soon. I gave them my iPad so we can FaceTime often until I'm there in person.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #24
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow View Post
Steve Gleason is an inspiration. May be tough to watch, but very moving.
Understatement of the year.

pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope04 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 12:38 AM   #25
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tonight my wife and myself went to her parents house (her 20 year old brother also lives at home with them) and told them what's going on. Feel great for doing it. We are close to them so they will probably be an emotional help for me. They live in Calgary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2016, 12:54 AM   #26
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

As much as it's painful to talk about it, it's going to be a relief to get things out in the open with all the people you know and love, particularly with your sister.

It won't be easy. Hope it goes as well as possible.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:53 PM   #27
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tonight my parents told my sister the full truth. She took it very well and is doing much better than I thought she would.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:21 AM   #28
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

just soooo much I CANT say except...Love love love...make sure you hand it out in buckets to your dad...and your mom. Sounds like you are.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2016, 03:03 PM   #29
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thought I'd give an update to everyone here.
FaceTime is a very good tool. I use it to talk with my mom, dad, and sister almost daily, since they are in Winnipeg.
My sister is doing the day to day support of my dad (and mom as well) until he gets too sick to live at home. She's being very strong!
I'm doing the back end support, long term support, arranging things like wills, funeral prep, power of attorney, arranging meetings with the ALS Society of MB, assisting in telling family, helping plan out the budget for when my dad's income switches to long term disability etc.

My life has changed so much in the last month or so it's crazy. I'm 34 years old and I think this is what will make me progress into "adulthood". I hear a lot of people go into adulthood when they have children or something similar. I don't have any kids so didn't have any major life changing events to push me into "adulthood" until now. That make sense to anyone?

I'm glad I made this thread. I've had a few private messages from members on this forum of support (For example, they are a doctor and if I have questions I can ask).
Someone even sent me a private message saying they just found out their father has ALS so I'm not alone in this fight.
Hats off to the Calgary Puck community!

In a few more days I'm flying to Winnipeg for a bit. Going to go fishing with my dad - he loves to do this and I've never been fishing with him out there before.
His right hand has shut down and left hand is quickly shutting down.
When I'm in town I'm also going to do some housekeeping like budget planning with my family, take them to a lawyer to do the wills, have a sit down meeting with the ALS people in Winnipeg to get the support rolling in, and meet with other family members that live there.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #30
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just got home from visiting them in Winnipeg. Had a lady from the ALS society come over and talk to us about what happens next. That really helped. On this trip I took him to the Winnipeg Zoo (10 polar bears there), day trip to Grand Forks USA, and tons of family time. It was lots of fun. My dad fell one night when I was in the room and wasn't able to use his hands/arms to stop his fall, so he face planted. Luckily it happened on the carpet and he wasn't injured but I'm really worried it's going to happen again and it won't be on carpet.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Drummer For This Useful Post: