Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #361
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How these encounters should go:

Cop: Sir, we're with the CPS. We have reason to believe this is a stolen item. Do you have a receipt for this?

Seller: Why yes I do. Here it is.

Cop: Alright then, have a good day sir.

How I imagine they go:

Cop: GET ON THE GROUND MOTHERF***ER!!!!!!

**proceeds to pat down guy who is totally a criminal**

**Throws him in the back of a police car**

Cop: Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Do you have a receipt for that?

Seller: ummmm, yeah.

Cop: Whoops my bad. I just get so excited I forget to ask first.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:04 AM   #362
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
How these encounters should go:

Cop: Sir, we're with the CPS. We have reason to believe this is a stolen item. Do you have a receipt for this?

Seller: Why yes I do. Here it is.

Cop: Alright then, have a good day sir.

How I imagine they go:

Cop: GET ON THE GROUND MOTHERF***ER!!!!!!

**proceeds to pat down guy who is totally a criminal**

**Throws him in the back of a police car**

Cop: Oh, I almost forgot to ask. Do you have a receipt for that?

Seller: ummmm, yeah.

Cop: Whoops my bad. I just get so excited I forget to ask first.
Don't forget:

Seller: Umm, can I have my legally purchased goods back?

Cops: go #### yourself. hahahahahahaha. Your goods are now part of an ongoing investigation. Even though you've provided sufficient proof that these are 100% legally purchased and not the stolen goods we're looking for, we're going to keep them because why the hell not? We can and you can't stop us.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #363
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
But I have no problem with cops "arresting" someone with reasonable grounds to suspect they committed a crime.
What reasonable grounds were there?

"Hey, this guy is selling a common electronic. Better get three cars on him, detain him and confiscate the item..."

You got a cellphone OMG!WTF!? I heard there was a phone stolen before, better detain you and confiscate your phone and not let you know if or when you'll get it back.

Okay fine, you obviously don't think they should have confiscated anything but even detaining you for using an iPhone on the street? They've clearly turned a good tactic into a ####ty stop and frisk policy and are strong arming innocent people into turning over legitimate items. What happens if the guy with the bike doesn't have his receipt? Probably gets it taken just like the radar detector and the cops know some people won't escalate the situation.

There's an entirely different situation between being questioned and detained, even if not everyone understands that. If a cop wants to ask you where you got that phone/bike/electronic, it's perfectly reasonable. A reasonable person should politely respond. And honestly you should be able to (not advisable obviously) to tell him go #### himself and walk away. Seriously. Without any type of proof they shouldn't be able to even detain.

The police should require to have a serial code, or an obvious marking of some sort or actually some reason to think that the item is the good in question. Without that, the police should not be able to do anything but investigate. Of course any thief with half a brain would be able to protect himself much easier but it's one of the drawbacks of living in an innocent until proven guilty society. Right now the police are obviously acting like thugs, ironically stealing in the process, and even scaling back the type of policy to the level you expect them is still bull#### handling from a police force.

It's no surprise the amount of shootings and aggressive tactics have been on the rise with the Calgary Police Force. It's unfortunate that they are behaving as our southern neighbour police forces. But it's clear they see everyone as a criminal, everyone as a threat. To them, it's them vs us. They need a good house cleaning, unfortunately that will never happen.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 12-22-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #364
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

it amazes me to no end the basic freedoms some folks are willing to surrender for perceived safety benefits. incredible.

if a cop asked me to produce a receipt for a kijiji item, legally, i should be able to tell him or her to pound sand and walk away. people being arrested for selling #### on kijiji? what a disgusting abuse of police power and misallocation of resources.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #365
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
it amazes me to no end the basic freedoms some folks are willing to surrender for perceived safety benefits. incredible.

if a cop asked me to produce a receipt for a kijiji item, legally, i should be able to tell him or her to pound sand and walk away. people being arrested for selling #### on kijiji? what a disgusting abuse of police power and misallocation of resources.
No kidding.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #366
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the "That actually happens in Calgary?" files; HAWC footage of some stolen vehicle cases:

https://www.facebook.com/CalgaryPoli...4935353889530/
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 04:46 PM   #367
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
From the "That actually happens in Calgary?" files; HAWC footage of some stolen vehicle cases:

That vid was cray cray!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #368
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Amazing that some of these idiots think they are going to get away with a helicopter following them.

Is there a car theft in Calgary that isn't an F150?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #369
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ that is some pretty high definition video
Old 01-13-2017, 10:36 AM   #370
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Amazing that some of these idiots think they are going to get away with a helicopter following them.

Is there a car theft in Calgary that isn't an F150?
In Calgary (as it's the only city I have/know the data for) F150's are almost 3x more likely to be stolen than any other vehicle. With the 2015 numbers, it was something like 750 F150's stolen, and the next closest was in the 200 range. So yeah, car thefts that aren't F150's happen...occasionally.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #371
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
In Calgary (as it's the only city I have/know the data for) F150's are almost 3x more likely to be stolen than any other vehicle. With the 2015 numbers, it was something like 750 F150's stolen, and the next closest was in the 200 range. So yeah, car thefts that aren't F150's happen...occasionally.
Actually thats a pretty good commercial for F150s. That guy covered some serious ground.

Tthanks to that hi-def video I could see the thief's white Oakley's.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #372
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In Calgary (as it's the only city I have/know the data for) F150's are almost 3x more likely to be stolen than any other vehicle. With the 2015 numbers, it was something like 750 F150's stolen, and the next closest was in the 200 range.
Ha, I'm sure there are entire brands that don't sell that many cars in a year in Calgary, never mind get stolen.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #373
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Ha, I'm sure there are entire brands that don't sell that many cars in a year in Calgary, never mind get stolen.
My buddy just bought a heavily beaten gently used, HHR.

I dont think I've ever seen one in real life before.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #374
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

that's seriously some "Grand Theft Auto" type driving there. Coincidence?
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #375
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
My buddy just bought a heavily beaten gently used, HHR.
How did your buddy manage to get a driver's license. You know, being blind and all.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #376
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
How did your buddy manage to get a driver's license. You know, being blind and all.
Well, in his defense he is trying to keep his business afloat and just needed wheels. But an HHR....that is desperate.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #377
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The leader the Calgary Police union elected.... can it get worse?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.3931201
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:46 PM   #378
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"There's a known anti-police sentiment. There's people that want to see us fail for whatever reason," said Kaminski.
Quote:
"While pulling his arms forcefully behind his back to handcuff him, the accused complained about a shoulder injury and that he was in pain. Kaminski responded by striking the accused forcefully with the baton twice on the back of his neck."
Hmm, yeah I wonder why people want to see you fail?

What a piece of ####, just another thug wearing blue.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #379
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Family releases 'shocking' video of violent arrest that left man with head injury

Quote:
The family of a man who police confirm suffered a head injury at the hands of a Calgary officer has released video of the alleged incident to CBC News — in an effort to shed light on what happened to Daniel Haworth.

"He wasn't the same person afterwards," said Daniel's brother Robert Haworth.

Daniel Haworth has since died from unrelated causes, but last week, Const. Trevor Lindsay was charged with aggravated assault stemming from the incident that took place on May 25, 2015.

None of the allegations have been proven in court.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ault-1.3929885
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #380
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum_PI View Post
Family releases 'shocking' video of violent arrest that left man with head injury

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ault-1.3929885
Taking the most cynical view of this, wouldn't a cop know that there is CCTV in that parking lot of all places? I'm sure buddy wasn't being an angel, but tough to watch a guy's dome get bounced off the pavement like that.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote