Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #21
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing I did while in Seattle for a few games was take the "underground Seattle" tour. It was only about $15 if I remember and it was very cool, at least in my opinion.

I always sat on the third base line about 15 rows up and they were great seats. If you are looking diamond club you might be able to get some scalped tickets there for less than $300/ticket. You know, if you're into that kind of activity.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
Anyone driving or has driven to Seattle? Thoughts on a good route?

We're debating making this a road trip, but we'll have to split the trip in two. I don't think the kid (or the wife) will tolerate sitting in the car for 12+ hours.
I'm going to Coeur d'alene for the long weekend and then driving into Seattle for the ball games. That splits the drive up nicely if you want to extend your trip. There's plenty to do in Coeur d'alene such as go to the beach downtown, the festival that runs that week along the same street the beach is on, and for the kid go to Silverwood amusement park that has both rides and a huge water park. It's 6-7 hours down to Coeur d'alene and then ~5 hours further into Seattle.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #23
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've done Seattle-Kamloops via Hwy 13 right after Abbottsford and skip Vancouver altogether in about 4.5 hours.

Kamloops-Calgary is around 8 IIRC which is the hard part of the drive. Border lines at Sumas are usually shorter than Lynden's but Sumas seems to take longer to get to I-5.

That will be a tough drive with the young one.

As for the baseball game, if your son is anything like my 3 year old, get the $10 tickets above home plate in the section 330s. You still get to see the pitches on/off the plate, close to the action and you get the 12K square foot video screen for replays. $10 buck tix are great since you don't feel committed to the seats.

When he gets antsy, just head down to the outfield area where there is a kid's playground and you can still catch the game from that view or check out the bullpen where there is first come, first serve picnic table seating to either watch the game at player level or watch your favorite reliever warm up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you'll enjoy that there is pretty much a restroom everywhere you look and family restrooms every 100 feet or so....very family friendly.

Last edited by seattleflamer; 05-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seattleflamer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #24
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for that advice, seattleflamer. After discussing it we've decided to fly. Had to be creative as we went through Aeroplan.

My kid will definitely want to hit up the playground at the stadium, so that's good to know about.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #25
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

We're debating making this a road trip, but we'll have to split the trip in two. I don't think the kid (or the wife) will tolerate sitting in the car for 12+ hours.
I'm going to stay in Coeur d'Alene on Aug. 1st and drive to Seattle during a time that avoids rush hour. Last time I went to Seattle I was in traffic for 5 hours entering the city...

I will be there for the Aug 5th game.

EDIT: I see that you are flying now.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 06-17-2013 at 11:51 AM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #26
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I'll be there for the August 5th game, and then to FX McRory's after!
See ya there! I'll be in a wheelchair, wearing a Mariner's Ichiro jersey, if you are inclined to say hello.

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 06-17-2013 at 01:07 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #27
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I drove down last winter,

Route:

Highway 3 (Crowsnest Pass -> Fernie -> Cranbrook)
which turns into BC-95, which turns into US-95 S, Entering the U.S via Idaho.
Continue south passing through Bonner's Ferry, and Sandpoint and jumping onto the I-90 at Coeur d'Alene which takes you right to Seattle.

This is a nice drive, not a major border crossing so you won't be waiting long. You get into the U.S fairly quickly this way and can start taking advantage of the U.S gas prices. I also spent the night in Coeur d'Alene, which is a nice spot and splits the trip up nicely. Obviously up for debate but i do think this is one of the quickest routes.

In other news,

Aug 5th: Section 141
Aug 6th: Section 183
Aug 7th: Section 132

3rd base line, left field, behind the plate. 15 strong.

Any comments on the night life? Is down by Safeco and Qwest "The Area"?

Appreciate the help guys, great thread!
XxBIGDOGxX1817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 PM   #28
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleflamer View Post
I've done Seattle-Kamloops via Hwy 13 right after Abbottsford and skip Vancouver altogether in about 4.5 hours.

Kamloops-Calgary is around 8 IIRC which is the hard part of the drive. Border lines at Sumas are usually shorter than Lynden's but Sumas seems to take longer to get to I-5.

That will be a tough drive with the young one.

As for the baseball game, if your son is anything like my 3 year old, get the $10 tickets above home plate in the section 330s. You still get to see the pitches on/off the plate, close to the action and you get the 12K square foot video screen for replays. $10 buck tix are great since you don't feel committed to the seats.

When he gets antsy, just head down to the outfield area where there is a kid's playground and you can still catch the game from that view or check out the bullpen where there is first come, first serve picnic table seating to either watch the game at player level or watch your favorite reliever warm up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you'll enjoy that there is pretty much a restroom everywhere you look and family restrooms every 100 feet or so....very family friendly.

Those games are "Family Night Games" from what i gather.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #29
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBIGDOGxX1817 View Post

Any comments on the night life? Is down by Safeco and Qwest "The Area"?

Appreciate the help guys, great thread!
There's nothing really down by the stadiums, which are south of downtown. It's a pretty industrial area.

Downtown's really not far though. Just a couple km north and you're in the heart of the action.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Late to offer driving advice, might not be ideal for the Calgary guys but we always drive down through the US part of the Okanagan Valley and I think it's a great drive, border crossing at Osoyoos and down to the Wenatchee area through the Okanagan south before heading up through the Snoqualmie pass. There's one of those outlet malls in one of the towns east of Seattle, I think it's North Bend, not as good as the one north of town but still solid place to get some cheap clothes.

Almost feels like dust bowl americana in some of the hot dry interior towns like Ephrata and there are some cool state parks and an odd germanic town called leavenworth. Real quiet on the highways until you connect onto the I90 as well which is a major plus for me, find it way more relaxing than driving down to Vancouver and driving the 5.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #31
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Around safeco is awesome for pre-gaming, Elysian Brewing is a cool spot with lots of good beers to try and there are lots of other pubs in the area. Dunno where you go out after the game as I'm too oldballs now to go looking for nightlife.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just an FYI from the Mariners' website for the Wednesday August 7 game:

Grand Slam Family Package Day Presented By Safeco Insurance

Get a ticket, hot dog and Pepsi starting at $15 per pack.
View Level - $15
Main Level - $30
Terrace Club - $35
Must purchase between four and 12 tickets to receive the discount. Prices increase day of game. Available most Wednesday games. Each ticket includes $8 in TicketPlu$ credit good for a discounted hot dog and Pepsi soft drink from any Rolling Roof Refreshment stand.

Looking at it, even though we only need three tickets, it's cheaper for us to buy four on this package. Plus an extra hot dog for me!
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I was an idiot and didn't book my Clipper tickets in time for the Monday game. Does anyone here want to buy my Monday tickets or trade me for the Tuesday game? I'm in first level seating, along the third base line, slightly into the outfield. I believe face value of the tickets are $50/each.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #34
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will be heading down to Seattle in the near future also (not for the series though.)

Has anyone used the CityPass before?

http://www.citypass.com/seattle

Admission to the Space Needle, EMP, aquarium, science centre, harbour cruise, and one of the zoo or flight museum.

$75 per adult seems like a great value.

Last edited by chalms04; 07-18-2013 at 02:38 PM.
chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #35
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually, might as well give this a shot, if anyone driving down to the Aug. 5th game wants to make a few extra bucks and grab me and a friend from the Anacortes ferry terminal on the way, let me know.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #36
The Reverend
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I recommend doing the Safeco Field tour that happens I think around noon, weekdays. On game days, they restrict access to both locker rooms but other than that you get to tour the owners section, media areas, the actual field and get to see tons of old baseball memorabilia. If you are at all a baseball fan, it's really worth it.
The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Reverend For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #37
XxBIGDOGxX1817
Farm Team Player

Exp:

can believe this is finally going down, looks like we got Dickey, Johnson and the new guy in that order. King Felix is up against Jonson on the Tuesday it looks like.

Also Going to the Sounders FC game on Saturday the 3rd. Really looking forward to seeing what MLS soccer is all about.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #38
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBIGDOGxX1817 View Post
can believe this is finally going down, looks like we got Dickey, Johnson and the new guy in that order. King Felix is up against Jonson on the Tuesday it looks like.
FUUUUUUU...was really hoping to see Felix for the Monday game. As a Mariners fan, there's really no one else worth watching.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
Will be heading down to Seattle in the near future also (not for the series though.)

Has anyone used the CityPass before?

http://www.citypass.com/seattle

Admission to the Space Needle, EMP, aquarium, science centre, harbour cruise, and one of the zoo or flight museum.

$75 per adult seems like a great value.
We used one of these bad boys to see the sights, worked as advertised.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #40
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I've done this drive many times (7 or 8), most recently this past weekend.

I STRONGLY recommend going south, using the Crowsnest Pass and crossing at Yahk BC. Take the 95 down to Couer d'Alene (8 hours from Calgary) and see how the passengers are doing. Seattle is an easy four hours from there.

Whatever you do, DO NOT take the Trans-Canada. It's just not a great road for the distance, fuel costs 40% more in Canada, and it's a long weekend.

Good luck at the ballgame. Beautiful park in a great city. The family will have a blast!

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , jays , mariners , seattle , toronto