Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #101
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
and you won't find a scout who doesn't have Jones at #1 or #2. Mackinnon looked like the sure #1 a few months ago, but Jones has had a terrific season. Even ignoring this tournament, you could argue that he can challenge MacKinnon for #1 ... heck, there are even scouts that think that Drouin has passed MacKinnon at this point. MacKinnon isn't the sure-fire #1 everyone thought he would be - Jones, Drouin and Barkov all have had fantastic seasons. At this point, I'd definitely prefer Jones. The kid has all the tools to become a great defenseman.
I have no problem if people do have Jones ranked 1 (I think Mackinnon should be personally) what my issue was Alberta Beef saying that seeing all 3 in the tournament that is what he based his decision on. Considering the different situations in I think that is a fairly small, inaccurate sample base to make a lot of conclusions from.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #102
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I have no problem if people do have Jones ranked 1 (I think Mackinnon should be personally) what my issue was Alberta Beef saying that seeing all 3 in the tournament that is what he based his decision on. Considering the different situations in I think that is a fairly small, inaccurate sample base to make a lot of conclusions from.
I never said I based it on the tournament alone. You just took from what I said what you wanted to interpret. You made an assumption and were wrong.

Since you like to invent things in your mind I will be clear.

I had Jones/MacKinnon as a toss up going in. One excelled, one was close irrelevant. So now it is no longer a dead heat.

Is that easier to understand? Or will you twist that into something else?
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #103
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I never said I based it on the tournament alone. You just took from what I said what you wanted to interpret. You made an assumption and were wrong.

I had Jones/MacKinnon as a toss up going in. One excelled, one was close irrelevant. So now it is no longer a dead heat.

No need to invent anything you could have easily said that when I asked the question originally, but you didn't and went with personal attack instead.

I will say again you are reading way too much into this tournament but that is your right.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #104
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No need to invent anything you could have easily said that when I asked the question originally, but you didn't and went with personal attack instead.

I will say again you are reading way too much into this tournament but that is your right.
I'm sorry but saying that you disagreeing with me makes me more sure of my opinion is a personal attack? I have agreed with you maybe once since I joined these boards, so it is hardly an attack for me to feel you are wrong much more than you are right.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #105
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund played with HIFK (pro men's team) already last season. Seems like Weisbrod keeps implying he didn't, which is weird. Said the same thing before.

As far as having a leadership role on Finland, in the sense that he was one of the older guys, yes, but I don't think he's a leader type even on that team. Their overall leadership and team game let them down in the tournament, and Granlund bears as much responsibility for that as anyone else.

Last edited by Henry Fool; 01-03-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #106
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

One also played top pairing minutes, and one played 4th line minutes. Talk about sample size.

If it's the draft and we have the number 1 pick, I take Mackinnon and I don't look back. The potential impact Mackinnon could have on a franchise, particularly the flames, is far superior to what Jones could have on a franchise. And yes, I am referring to the D-F comparison.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #107
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gotta love coming into a topic expecting talk about Flames prospects and have a lot of posts about up coming draft picks that has turned into a measuring contest. I'm pretty sure there is a topic for such debate. Think we could keep it there?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #108
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We won't know who will go first overall until the oilers make the wrong decision and pick that player after finishing last again.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #109
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Jones was playing 20-25 minutes a game. MacKinnon was probably under 8-10 minutes every game. MacKinnon was one of the only Canadian players who wasn't completely awful against the Americans.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #110
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Something I observed from the Canada-USA game was that I thought Wotherspoon was the best Canadian d-man (even though the player of the game went to Harrington).
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #111
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Something I observed from the Canada-USA game was that I thought Wotherspoon was the best Canadian d-man (even though the player of the game went to Harrington).
I thought so as well.

I thought Reinhart had his worst game in what I think has been a bad tournament for him. Ouillett had a tough game. Reilly was invisible. And Murphy was Grimaldi-esque.

Wotherspoon was solid on the PK and pretty steady overall
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #112
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Jones was playing 20-25 minutes a game. MacKinnon was probably under 8-10 minutes every game. MacKinnon was one of the only Canadian players who wasn't completely awful against the Americans.
MacKinnon had every opportunity to play himself into a bigger role and didn't. So using the fact he played a lesser role to try and prove some kind of point really means nothing to me. He was a secondary player because he played like a secondary player.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:42 AM   #113
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granlund already has 2 assists after two periods as Finland has a 7-3 lead over Slovakia.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #114
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
MacKinnon had every opportunity to play himself into a bigger role and didn't. So using the fact he played a lesser role to try and prove some kind of point really means nothing to me. He was a secondary player because he played like a secondary player.
He was behind 3 of the best centers in the game. How did he have every opportunity to play himself into a bigger role?

He wasn't going to beat out RNH, Strome and Jenner.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #115
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was behind 3 of the best centers in the game. How did he have every opportunity to play himself into a bigger role?

He wasn't going to beat out RNH, Strome and Jenner.
MacKinnon can play wing too ... he already did during the Super Series IIRC. It was clear from the very beginning that Drouin and MacKinnon had to fight for one spot on the wing on the 2nd/3rd line, while the other one would have to be the 13th forward or play 4th line minutes. Drouin won that spot in the pre-tourney games and MacKinnon was stuck with the small role.

Granlund finishes the game with 3 assists as Finland win 11-4. Granlund with 12 points (5+7) and the top scorer of the tournament at least until tomorrow.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #116
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
it was clear from the very beginning that Drouin and MacKinnon had to fight for one spot on the 2nd/3rd line, while the other one would have to be the 13th forward or play 4th line minutes. Drouin won that spot in the pre-tourney games and MacKinnon was stuck with the small role.
I don't think it is that shocking that the 17 year old that plays wing beat out the 17 year old that is a full time center.

Mackinnon did exactly what was expected out of him and every other 17 year old that plays for Canada in this tournament. He didn't have a disappointing or poor tournament at all.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #117
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Granlund finishes the game with 3 assists as Finland win 11-4. Granlund with 12 points (5+7) and the top scorer of the tournament at least until tomorrow.
According to the box score, Granlund is only credited with 2 assists. Joel Armia scored 3 goals and 1 assist to bring his point total to 6 goals and 6 assists for 12 points.

http://www.tsn.ca/WORLD_JRS/scores/boxscore/?id=2083093
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #118
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
According to the box score, Granlund is only credited with 2 assists. Joel Armia scored 3 goals and 1 assist to bring his point total to 6 goals and 6 assists for 12 points.

http://www.tsn.ca/WORLD_JRS/scores/boxscore/?id=2083093
I think Granlund got the second assist on 37min goal. Both Armia and Granlund have 12 points, Armia with a goal more, so he leads.

http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/ch...op/statistics/

Doesn't mean much, but since RNH got most of his points against Germany and Slovakia, it's only fair that the Finns get to beat up on those team too.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry Fool For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #119
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You really got to hand it to Feaster and the scouts in their first draft. Talk about quality over quantity.
Bet it's a record to have 60% of your draft year make the World Jr's and 80% of your draft getting invites!

and THANK YOU Tom!

2011 Entry

13 1 Sven Bartschi L Portland Winterhawks [WHL]
45 2 Markus Granlund F HIFK Jr. (Finland)
57 2 Tyler Wotherspoon D Portland Winterhawks [WHL]
104 4 John Gaudreau F Dubuque Fighting Saints [USHL]
164 6 Laurent Brossoit G Edmonton Oil Kings [WHL]
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bertuzzied For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #120
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Officially, the Flames have both the top goal scorer and top point producer in the tourney.

Last edited by StrykerSteve; 01-04-2013 at 11:12 AM.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post: