Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #81
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was talking to my buddy who is a huge johnny G pessimist (stuck with sutter brain that small players cant be successful) He basically tells me that for every 1000 JG's one makes it, I tried to explain to him that JG has more than skill and speed (grimaldi) he has vision and hockey knowledge. My buddy had also never actually watched a JG game so totally basing his potential on the kids size.

I told him at the beginning of the tournament that this was JG's opportunity to show the world what a prospect he really is and how size will not hold him back from being an NHL regular. He laughed and said yes, we will see how against bigger and better competition how he will be simply average in the tournament.

Well....

Needless to say, i have thoroughly enjoyed showing my buddy the stat lines and some Jonny Hockey highlites of his 7 and tournament leading goals over and over and over again.
Papi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #82
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi34 View Post
I was talking to my buddy who is a huge johnny G pessimist (stuck with sutter brain that small players cant be successful) He basically tells me that for every 1000 JG's one makes it, I tried to explain to him that JG has more than skill and speed (grimaldi) he has vision and hockey knowledge. My buddy had also never actually watched a JG game so totally basing his potential on the kids size.

I told him at the beginning of the tournament that this was JG's opportunity to show the world what a prospect he really is and how size will not hold him back from being an NHL regular. He laughed and said yes, we will see how against bigger and better competition how he will be simply average in the tournament.

Well....

Needless to say, i have thoroughly enjoyed showing my buddy the stat lines and some Jonny Hockey highlites of his 7 and tournament leading goals over and over and over again.
Could be an even better stat line if they took grimaldi off that line sooner. he's also had a few posts and near misses too.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #83
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Who would have thought that the Flames would own the rights to two of the top 3 scorers in the tournament? Good showing by Feaster and Weisbrod's boys.
Shut up, Granlund was only picked because of his last name and Gaudreau is a Diet Smurf

- 2011 draft reactions.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #84
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not too surprising I guess, that Granlund excelled in this tournament. He plays in a men's league so coming to a kids tourney and dominating should be expected.

He's a talented player as well. I seem to recall a recent Weisbrod interview where he likened Granlund to Gaudreau in terms of skill level.

I'd imagine if he played in the CHL there would likely be a Markus "Fricken" Granlund thread here somewhere.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #85
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is also very pleasing to me is how regular Yakupov looks.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #86
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who is available for next years tournament? Jankowski, Brossoit?, Gillies should get the nod for the Americans, Seiloff,.....Anyone else? How about Gordon or Culkin or Kulak?
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #87
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
So who is available for next years tournament? Jankowski, Brossoit?, Gillies should get the nod for the Americans, Seiloff,.....Anyone else? How about Gordon or Culkin or Kulak?
Jankowski, Gordon, Kulak, Culkin for the Canadians

Sieloff, Gillies, Deblouw for the Americans.

No one for Europe.

Of course, this list could change after the draft.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #88
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gordon is having a heck of a season with Swift Current, Hopefully he gets a good look next year.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #89
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeBlouw and Culkin are both late 1993 births, so they can't play next year, but the other 5 players the Flames drafted in 2012 will be eligible, plus anyone drafted in 2013.

Anyone drafted pre-2012 will be too old.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #90
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Jankowski, Gordon, Kulak, Culkin for the Canadians

Sieloff, Gillies, Deblouw for the Americans.

No one for Europe.

Of course, this list could change after the draft.
Yes, hopefully Mackinnon, Drouin, or Barkov... Only if theres no NHL season though of course.
goflamesgo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #91
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
Yes, hopefully Mackinnon, Drouin, or Barkov... Only if theres no NHL season though of course.
Honestly at this point I would prefer Seth Jones over all of them. Kid has really stepped up as a 17 year old.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #92
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Honestly at this point I would prefer Seth Jones over all of them. Kid has really stepped up as a 17 year old.
I think Mackinnon. Really need to address the hole at RW
Old 01-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #93
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goflamesgo18 View Post
I think Mackinnon. Really need to address the hole at RW
Baertschi plays RW as well as LW.

You also don't draft to fill holes (although drafting a potential #1 defenseman does also fill a hole), you draft the best player available and IMO that is Seth Jones and after seeing Jones, MacKinnon & Co. all play in the same pool at the WJC I have no doubt Jones is the best of the bunch.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #94
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

You also don't draft to fill holes (although drafting a potential #1 defenseman does also fill a hole), you draft the best player available and IMO that is Seth Jones and after seeing Jones, MacKinnon & Co. all play in the same pool at the WJC I have no doubt Jones is the best of the bunch.
You are going to ignore the 1.5 years they just played in which Mackinnon looked better and base your opinion on a 1.5 week tournament in which each guy was in a totally different situation to base your opinion on?
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #95
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
You are going to ignore the 1.5 years they just played in which Mackinnon looked better and base your opinion on a 1.5 week tournament in which each guy was in a totally different situation to base your opinion on?
so you disagree?

Cool, thanks for reaffirming that I am right.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #96
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
so you disagree?

Cool, thanks for reaffirming that I am right.
I actually didn't say either way in that post and just thought it was odd that you would ignore the large amount of games each guy has played and based it solely on a small tournament with different situations for each guy.

If that (along with more needless personal attacks) are how you like to judge guys go ahead with that. I will stick to what the scouts say and do and look at the overall body of work.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #97
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I will stick to what the scouts say and do and look at the overall body of work.
and you won't find a scout who doesn't have Jones at #1 or #2. Mackinnon looked like the sure #1 a few months ago, but Jones has had a terrific season. Even ignoring this tournament, you could argue that he can challenge MacKinnon for #1 ... heck, there are even scouts that think that Drouin has passed MacKinnon at this point. MacKinnon isn't the sure-fire #1 everyone thought he would be - Jones, Drouin and Barkov all have had fantastic seasons. At this point, I'd definitely prefer Jones. The kid has all the tools to become a great defenseman.

Last edited by devo22; 01-03-2013 at 05:58 PM.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #98
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Jones looked very good in the last few games this tourney but I still think Mackinnon will go number 1 overall. I dont know why Canada under used him in the WJHC. Im guessing he averaged 10 - 13 mins a game.

You must be basing your opinion on this tournament alone. In the early games and pre tourney game I saw, I thought Jones looked brutal. Tons of turnovers and immature plays.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #99
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

MacKinnon and Drouin would be great for Canada to have for this tourney next year. Anybody think that's a possibility or will they likely be NHLers?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #100
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Weisbrod on the Fan 960 today

• thrilled for JG in particular after being cut last year
  • happy with all guys at the tournament
  • was focused on Granlund and Wotherspoon as they were the least known quantities for the Flames.
  • Tournament was somewhat of an evaluation tool for Granlund because he would play in his own age bracket and Wotherspoon because he never played on this stage before
  • issue with Granlund last year was playing with his brother forcing him to play wing. Granlund plays similar style as Gaudreau, both small players and rely on creativity, hands, and brains.
  • felt that Granlund has matured because of playing pro this year.
  • Granlund has played well. created opportunites ES and on PP, has handled pace well. Granlund's performance may be the most gratifying of the Flames prospects at the tournament
  • Finland has some quality players that have let the down, but Granlund was not one of them in Weisbrod's opinion. Had a leadership role (heart/soul guy) with Finland, but see him being more of a niche player with the Flames.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post: