Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #61
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi34 View Post
To me it doesnt really matter how many points Jonny Hockey puts up, its all about the chances hes creating for his teamates, he cant set up himself, and clearly neither can his linemates but at least he is creating offense that isnt being finished by other members of the USA.

Seeing his vision of the ice has convinced me that he will definitly be a pro player in the NHL he is to smart, fast, and skilled to not make it. Even his defensive coverage has been stellar! I counted at least 4 times against canada he made a great defensive play. His play in his own end is miles ahead of where i would have guessed.
Wow we must have seen two completely different tournaments from the US team.

Gaudreau has not been the worst but he certainly didn't make close to 4 great defensive plays that I saw (can't remember 1) and his struggles early had as much to do with him than his linemates not being able to finish.

He is doing about as well as expected so far in this tournament and I don't think this should change the perception of him either positively or negatively so far. He has been inconsistent with some bright spots offensively and difficulty with the bigger stronger players.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #62
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Gaudreau was "ok" in the games I saw him, but I definitely thought that Grimaldi was a problem on that line. A legitimate head down, skate into the corner, turn it over disaster. I couldn't see today's game, but it seems to reinforce my beliefs that the problem wasn't Gaudreau.

Hopefully this is a permanent change and we can see how he performs in the medal rounds.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2012, 05:46 PM   #63
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post

Gaudreau has not been the worst but he certainly didn't make close to 4 great defensive plays that I saw (can't remember 1) and his struggles early had as much to do with him than his linemates not being able to finish.

He is doing about as well as expected so far in this tournament and I don't think this should change the perception of him either positively or negatively so far. He has been inconsistent with some bright spots offensively and difficulty with the bigger stronger players.
Ive watched the game 3 times now, you need to go rewatch it, check out how he breaks up plays in his own end, seems to be the first one back of his line regularly. He had some outstanding passes that werent finished by his teammates. Plus his own chances that he didnt finish. Im surprised we are so far apart on our assessments.. Keep in mind im mostly basing my opinion of him on the Canada game.
Papi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #64
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ive watched the game 3 times now, you need to go rewatch it, check out how he breaks up plays in his own end, seems to be the first one back of his line regularly. He had some outstanding passes that werent finished by his teammates. Plus his own chances that he didnt finish. Im surprised we are so far apart on our assessments.. Keep in mind im mostly basing my opinion of him on the Canada game.
I certainly haven't seen the game 3 times and not saying he didn't just that I didn't remember any defensive plays and remember Miller doing most of the defensive work in the 1st two games (I focused more on that line in the other games than the Canada game since I was more interested in Canada than Gaudreau).

I have heard from others that he was better in the Canada game but in the first two games he certainly wasn't creating that many chances and he was as much at fault as his teammates.

I think the plays that you mention would have stuck out more as Gaudreau seemed okay in that game and you seem to indicate he was better than that.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #65
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Papi, please don't take the bait. moon hasn't had much about the Flames he can crap all over during the lockout.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #66
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that he has had some good plays defensively.

I also think he has shown some excellent passing skills.

Benching Grimaldi was the best thing Housley could have done - he really was a disaster. I actually thought Miller played better today as well, and I have been very critical of Miller so far.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #67
Papi34
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I certainly haven't seen the game 3 times and not saying he didn't just that I didn't remember any defensive plays and remember Miller doing most of the defensive work in the 1st two games (I focused more on that line in the other games than the Canada game since I was more interested in Canada than Gaudreau).

I have heard from others that he was better in the Canada game but in the first two games he certainly wasn't creating that many chances and he was as much at fault as his teammates.

I think the plays that you mention would have stuck out more as Gaudreau seemed okay in that game and you seem to indicate he was better than that.
Fair enough, i just really like the kids vision he makes smart passes and for the most part good decisions. Not saying hes Stephane Yelle in his own end but i was impressed by how he handled himself. I do agree that he gets pushed off the puck very easily but that will hopefully change with some bulking up. I cant speak to his first two games as i didnt see him, but he seems to have hit his stride vs canada and slovakia. Putting him with Vesey was a great move by Phil .
Papi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Papi34 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #68
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
he was benched actually.
my mistake, still though...he's a bum

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #69
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

HUGE morning for a couple of our prospects in the WJC!

Johnny Hockey threw up a hatty in a 7-0 US win in the quarter-finals. The Americans face Canada in the semi-finals.

Markus Granlund put up 1 goal and 3 assists in an 8-0 drubbing over Germany in the relegation round.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #70
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

What a game for Johnny Hockey, he was all over the ice, looked great out there.

Big players show up for big games.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #71
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Highlights from Johnny Hockey's Hatty

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/835681/clip/40

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #72
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

From the Flames twitter account:
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #73
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames don't have any prospects.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #74
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Between the USA and Canada, the Flames prospects are guaranteed to bring home medals.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #75
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
From the Flames twitter account:
It's even better if sorted by goals. Only 3 players with 5 goals in the tournament so far: Granlund, Gaudreau, and Kucherov.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 AM   #76
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

How're them offensive bright spots lookin' now?
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #77
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah blah View Post
How're them offensive bright spots lookin' now?
Fine I guess.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 AM   #78
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau and Granlund now tied for second in points in the tournament with 9.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #79
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Gaudreau with another 2G, 1A today vs Canada. Dude is a beast.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who would have thought that the Flames would own the rights to two of the top 3 scorers in the tournament? Good showing by Feaster and Weisbrod's boys.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: