Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2014, 03:53 PM   #681
cgb
Draft Pick

Icon46

I'm a canuck fan and long time follower of the CP forums (lived in Calgary for a while and the hockey talk here is better than canucks' boards). I signed up to say - why is everyone so mad about this line brawl? This wasn't dangerous to any of the players and it was way more exciting than the last few canucks-flames games.

The only person who did anything to apologize for is Tortorella, although watching him finally lose his mind in Vancouver was fun. Even that was really not a big deal; not sure what part of it was 'dangerous' as the NHL called it, maybe they were worried McGrattan would catch rabies if he had to subdue Torts? Rats don't carry rabies, so there wasn't even a risk of that.

Sure, the league hates this stuff so they're dishing out stiffer fines and suspensions then they do for headshots, but no harm was done. Other than the unfortunate asshat portion of our fanbase here, nobody out here is upset about this, and I don't see any reason for flames fans to be either. I look forward to the next time our teams meet, though I doubt we'll see a repeat performance.
cgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #682
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgb View Post
I'm a canuck fan and long time follower of the CP forums (lived in Calgary for a while and the hockey talk here is better than canucks' boards). I signed up to say - why is everyone so mad about this line brawl? This wasn't dangerous to any of the players and it was way more exciting than the last few canucks-flames games.

The only person who did anything to apologize for is Tortorella, although watching him finally lose his mind in Vancouver was fun. Even that was really not a big deal; not sure what part of it was 'dangerous' as the NHL called it, maybe they were worried McGrattan would catch rabies if he had to subdue Torts? Rats don't carry rabies, so there wasn't even a risk of that.

Sure, the league hates this stuff so they're dishing out stiffer fines and suspensions then they do for headshots, but no harm was done. Other than the unfortunate asshat portion of our fanbase here, nobody out here is upset about this, and I don't see any reason for flames fans to be either. I look forward to the next time our teams meet, though I doubt we'll see a repeat performance.
Yes and no.

I'm not mad about it, I thought it was awesome!

It is dangerous to the players. Any fight is. Thats part of the deal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #683
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hardly anyone here (TTC notwithstanding) is mad about the line brawl.

The vast majority found the game very entertaining.

I don't even think anyone is upset with Torts - the only issue is that he crossed the line and was rightly suspended for it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #684
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Ference vs. Stempniak also comes to mind.
Emery vs. Holtby, as well.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #685
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I think most here are upset with Torts whining and playing the victim card. For the most part everybody here loved the game and it was probably the most discussed Flames game since the Heritage Classic.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #686
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I think most here are upset with Torts whining and playing the victim card. For the most part everybody here loved the game and it was probably the most discussed Flames game since the Heritage Classic.
right - that's the source of much of the angst
Old 01-21-2014, 04:18 PM   #687
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
right - that's the source of much of the angst
For sure, also the sucker punch to Bouma while the refs were holding him from Kassian was uber dirty.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #688
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
For sure, also the sucker punch to Bouma while the refs were holding him from Kassian was uber dirty.
It was actually an eye gouging
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 PM   #689
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

It's sad that Tortorella is so delusional that he thought he could walk into the Flames' locker room and pick a fight with Hartley -- assuming that's what was going through his demented head. Part of me almost wishes he was successful at getting into the room just to find out how tough he really is...
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #690
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
His team won the game which is what they needed to do.

So what is the downside for Tortorella and upside for Hartley that had hartley playing him?

I could understand if Hartley got the Sisters involved and tossed out giving Calgary a chance to win the game but in this case both teams lost their scrubs and Vancouver went on to win.
Vancouver required a shootout to barely beat a team that they should have beaten easily. And all it cost Tortorella was a six-game suspension. Meanwhile, the two games the Flames have played since that brawl has seen them far more engaged than they had been the previous couple weeks.

As you are well aware, I fully expected Hartley would get fined and we agree on the reason why. But now you're just throwing out arguments designed to get a rise out of people, as usual.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 05:17 PM   #691
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
It's sad that Tortorella is so delusional that he thought he could walk into the Flames' locker room and pick a fight with Hartley -- assuming that's what was going through his demented head. Part of me almost wishes he was successful at getting into the room just to find out how tough he really is...
I'm trying to figure out who Torterella thought he could take in that group?
One of the trainers?

Any one of our coaches would rain fury on gino's chino.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #692
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Colin Campbell was on with Bob Mcgowan earlier this evening and explains both Tortorella and Hartleys punishments. He was questioned pretty good about it by both bob and Brunt as well.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/on-demand/#rotation=1
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #693
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

“@imacVanSun: Gillis praised CGY enforcer Brian McGrattan: "He just stood his ground and made sure no one from either side got carried away."”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #694
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
“@imacVanSun: Gillis praised CGY enforcer Brian McGrattan: "He just stood his ground and made sure no one from either side got carried away."”
Is he referencing the same 'Idiot' that Torts was certain was going to jump and injure one of his star players?

Interesting.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to metroneck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #695
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oiler cheerle...I mean broadcasters made a little fun of Bieksa tonight. After he took a healthy run at Gazdic (who unsuccessfully tried to fight Kassian all game) they said he Gazdic/Gadzic? got Bieksa's number.

Something like, "well he wont get to fight Bieksa because Bieksa is a spot picker"
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:31 AM   #696
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of things I've heard in the media here in BC that bother me:

1) Torts was protecting his players by putting goons out.

No he wasn't. Show me once where a goon went after and hurt a star player. Show me once where McGrattan or Westgarth went after a star. You can't. People keep throwing out the John Scott/Kessel incident. How hurt food Kessel get? Torts sent out the goons because he's arrogant and has to be aggressive.

2) Hartley set up the line for a line brawl.

No he wasn't. Not with Blair Jones or Chris Butler on the ice. He was most certainly setting up for a fight, but why not just one??

3) If Bob Hartley had just have manned up and responded to Torts tirade this all could've been avoided.

Bullspit. If he'd have riled Torts up more they would be talking about how if he just would have ignored Fonzy everything would've been ok

The amount of rationalization is absurd
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #697
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's Vancouver. They have 40+ years experience in rationalizing that failure of a franchise.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2014, 09:10 AM   #698
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It's Vancouver. They have 40+ years experience in rationalizing that failure of a franchise.
And also 40+ years of playing the victim card.

Oh what's that? A "Free Torts" campaign now? Awwww how sweet...

Vancouver Canucks and their fans, never accountable since 1970

Torts will gain legend status because of this, he's the new Roger Nielson.

Last edited by 868904; 01-22-2014 at 09:19 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:33 PM   #699
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...merks/4660699/

interesting read about 18 years ago when the torts Hartley feud began
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #700
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
A couple of things I've heard in the media here in BC that bother me:

1) Torts was protecting his players by putting goons out.

No he wasn't. Show me once where a goon went after and hurt a star player. Show me once where McGrattan or Westgarth went after a star. You can't. People keep throwing out the John Scott/Kessel incident. How hurt food Kessel get? Torts sent out the goons because he's arrogant and has to be aggressive.
Not a star or anything, but Alberts is still out from a concussion he sustained from McGrattan's hit.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote