Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2017, 06:40 PM   #61
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I think we may have to look at Backlund in the deal, where his value is super high right now. Bennett's potential doesn't really factor in when trading for a player who is great right now.

We have to trade talent to get talent. If this kid is for real, we have to be realistic with what we trade for him. I could see Bennett with some of our non NHLers, but they have to be major prospects. Fifth round picks certainly don't cut it.

I don't want to see Backlund go, he offers a lot more than just points.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:41 PM   #62
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boston writer:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/j...david-pastrnak

Quote:
But let’s be honest here.

The Bruins aren’t going to trade David Pastrnak. Period. They need his speed, they need his goal-scoring ability, and they need his youthful zest for the game to sell their product in Boston. There's no other player coming through the organization who can match the dynamic right winger's skill set, and he's in high demand across the league because there aren’t many like him.

The B’s would be on the losing end of any Pastrnak trade because they’d be giving up the best player in the deal. Remember Tyler Seguin? The Bruins would deserve what they get if they make that mistake again.

Boston is still trying to uncover itself from the rubble of trading Seguin for a number of assets that are now gone from the organization. The mere specter of repeating that mistake will have diehard B’s fans marching to Causeway Street with pitchforks, torches and season-ticket refund demands.

Pastrnak still has things to learn in terms of puck management and consistency, and he clearly needs to be better prepared for the way defenses leaned on him late in the season. But we’re talking about a player who scored 34 goals and 70 points in a season before his 21st birthday, and we’re also talking about a player who's done everything the Bruins have asked in terms of improving his game.
Quote:
There's probably good reason for B’s fans to have gut-wrenching flashbacks to past negotiations with young players gone wrong. Talks with Dougie Hamilton, Phil Kessel and, of course, Seguin were all botched.

But that's not what’s happening right now, despite a little smoke billowing out of the Bruins home offices.

Also, this is also a player that wants to be in Boston and isn't trying to shoot his way out of town, as Kessel and Hamilton clearly did before each of them was traded.

By all accounts the Bruins currently have no appetite for trading Pastrnak, and this first volley of rumors would appear to be more about message-sending in negotiations rather than actually shipping out another elite young hockey player. If the trade stuff goes beyond that, then Don Sweeney, Cam Neely and the rest of the Bruins organization will begin destroying all the goodwill they built up with a pretty solid end kick to their season last year.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #63
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man they're still assassinating Dougies character at every chance eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #64
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Man they're still assassinating Dougies character at every chance eh?
Where and how is that article assassinating Dougie's character??
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #65
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I guess you don't watchba lot of Pastrnak so I'll excuse you comparing him to 2 flawed players. Eberle and Kane have the hockey IQ of gummy bears.

Pastrnak is the real deal. If the Bruins trade him away, they would be trading a player capable of putting up Seguin type numbers. He's that good. Think about that.
Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

No one thought that the year each of those players exploded on the scoresheet.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #66
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

No one thought that the year each of those players exploded on the scoresheet.
Evander Kane's best: 57 points in 74 games isn't exactly 70 points in 75 games.

And like another poster said, Eberle had a sky high SH% and well...E=NG.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #67
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Dude, Pastrnak just scored 70 points in 75 games as a 20 year old. He's going to be elite for the next decade+.
Pastrnak was second on his line scoring. Playing with a guy who was 7th in Hart voting, AND arguably the best two-way center since Sergei Fedorov. As good as he is he was the third best player on his line... can he repeat that as the best player on his line? With a less elite center? With a LW who isn't 5th in points / 4th in goals?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #68
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Pastrnak was second on his line scoring. Playing with a guy who was 7th in Hart voting, AND arguably the best two-way center since Sergei Fedorov. As good as he is he was the third best player on his line... can he repeat that as the best player on his line? With a less elite center? With a LW who isn't 5th in points / 4th in goals?
If you put Pastrnak with Gaudreau and Monahan I think he will continue his 70 point play. He is that good. I am a huge advocate AGAINST trading Sam Bennett, but if he was part of a package for Pastrnak I'm all for it.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's looking for too much money based on one good season. Pass as you just know the Bruins would bump the asking price from the Flames just because of how bad the Hamilton trade looked on them.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-14-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #70
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Pastrnak has produced everywhere, regardless of line or league since he's been drafted. He ripped the AHL a new one in his draft+1 and then proceeded to score >.5PPG in his 18 & 19 year old NHL seasons.

The thing about Pastrnak is that he's not a player that is dependent on his linemates to produce. He is an elite stickhandler, an elite shooter, has breakneck speed and like Bennett he also plays that chippy game and has a knack for throwing big hits. He was just as much a catalyst of his lines offense as Gaudreau was in 2015 when he too was also second in line socring to Hudler by a margin greater than 10 points.

Last edited by Love; 08-14-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #71
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM   #72
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I think I'd prefer to just try Bennett on Johnny's & Monahan's wing, instead of trading him for a softer, more expensive Pastrnak to fill that spot.

Granted, I've only seen Pastrnak play a few times, but I feel like if Bennett were given the same opportunity, he'd be viewed just as highly.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #73
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I think I'd prefer to just try Bennett on Johnny's & Monahan's wing, instead of trading him for a softer, more expensive Pastrnak to fill that spot.

Granted, I've only seen Pastrnak play a few times, but I feel like if Bennett were given the same opportunity, he'd be viewed just as highly.
If this is true then Flames management sucks. "We think Bennett could be a 70 point player right now but we would rather him play on the 3rd line with a bunch of scrubs and get 30 points a season...because development.." If you think a player can get 70 points a season with the right players then you put him with those players. I think you guys overrate Bennett at this point. He has yet to show much. Sure he has potential, but you aren't going to get a top line player who is 20 years old.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 PM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
If this is true then Flames management sucks. "We think Bennett could be a 70 point player right now but we would rather him play on the 3rd line with a bunch of scrubs and get 30 points a season...because development.." If you think a player can get 70 points a season with the right players then you put him with those players. I think you guys overrate Bennett at this point. He has yet to show much. Sure he has potential, but you aren't going to get a top line player who is 20 years old.
Who's overrating him? He's a 21 year old playing the most difficult position in the sport for a young player. Mark Scheifele didn't break through until he was 23 and nobody saw an 80 point season in his near future when he was 21. When Monahan came into the league the Flames had zero center depth so he could immediately be deployed in the top 6 but things are different now as Bennett isn't simply going to jump ahead of Monahan and Backlund at the age of 21. Remember this was the one pull-up guy that was always going to take some time to develop but fans all of a sudden want to write him off because he's in fact taking time as advertised?

Pastrnak had a great season for sure but he also was deployed in a very ideal situation. With Gaudreau the Flames offense centers around him as he's the focal point and the guy making his line mates look better but I don't think you can say the same of Pastrnak right now as he's a benefactor. Ideally you would like to see at least two seasons of this type of play before handing out a long term $7 million deal and I expect this is why the Bruins are having a hard time here and I don't blame them really.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-14-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 PM   #75
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stajan, Brouwer, beer.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #76
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Where and how is that article assassinating Dougie's character??
Pretty sure PsYcNeT is talking about this:

Quote:
Also, this is also a player that wants to be in Boston and isn't trying to shoot his way out of town, as Kessel and Hamilton clearly did before each of them was traded.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #77
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pastrnak obviously fills our biggest hole. And even though I don't like trading Cs for wingers, and I think Bennett is going to be a star, I would do a deal with Bennett and Fox (and a salary equalizer).

However, the one big problem here is Pastrnak's contract demands. The Flames managed to keep Johnny to $6.75M and have no one on the payroll at $7M. If Pastrnak were signed for something higher, it could cause serious disruption, and undo everything Treliving has accomplished to date.

Very dangerous, and I wouldn't pull the trigger unless I had a deal in place with Pastrnak first.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2017, 11:29 PM   #78
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Here's something to discuss: would or could a deal go down involving Gordano for Pastrnak?
Jesus Christ.

Discussion enough for you?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:44 AM   #79
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pasta is my fav player not on the Flames, actually Burns is. Pasta is second. The kid is a very, very good hockey player. If you get him for Bennett you are laughing. Pasta today is what every one dreams Bennett becomes. Fast, High Skill, Grit, and a high motor. Pasta and Gaudreau on a line together would be a thing of beauty.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 03:29 AM   #80
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Re: Bennett vs. Pastrnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You just can't keep trading young cost controlled players for big salaries. It just doesn't work if you want to be competitive long term.
21-year old RFA coming off his ELC vs. 21-year old RFA coming off his ELC

Both are young and cost-controlled. One is just anticipated to be more expensive because he's better. Heck, the value of the discout you get on an RFA should increase as the player's value increases because the value of the discout should be the value of the draft picks required to make an offer sheet.

Save
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote