Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
kipperiggy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definitely get a professional in there, bed bugs are extremely hard to get rid of.

Thanks AC!
kipperiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #22
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Do you live in an apartment or detached home. If it's a detached home I recommend getting the professinal in there immediately. It will save you a lot of time and in the end you will probably end up doing that anyways.

If you live in an apartment, I recommend moving out as quickly as possible and leaving all of your furniture behind. You should also put any clothes you plan on taking with you in a freezer bag and throw them in the freezer overnight. Demand money from the landlord to help you with the cost of this.

Edit: Apparently the dryer is more effective at killing bed bugs than the freezer.

Last edited by blankall; 04-27-2010 at 11:01 AM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #23
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too bad it's not winter. If it was, couldn't you take the mattress outside for several hours and freeze those buggers solid.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #24
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A little update. Roomy contacted some pest control and they're arriving tomorrow at 3:30. We're supposed to be out of the house for 6 hours. I live in a basement suite, and the landlords aren't too happy about his mattress, but at least we're dealing with it. My roommate hasn't asked for money, yet, but I don't think I should be the one to help him with it. Afterall he brought them in.

Going to be staying with the girlfriend at her dad's place over the next couple of nights. I'm thinking I should throw my Wii, PS3 and computer into the storage space away from pest control and the chemicals. I've thrown my bed into some stonewear cups so they bedbugs can't climb onto my bed anymore, and moved my bed away from the walls as well.

, what a hassle.

Roommates suck.
Giordano: He plays for the oilers, enough said.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #25
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was always under the impression that Calgary's climate is too dry for bedbugs. Do we get many cases in Calgary?
I can see Vancouver having an issue for sure though
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #27
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Was always under the impression that Calgary's climate is too dry for bedbugs. Do we get many cases in Calgary?
I can see Vancouver having an issue for sure though
No, I think it's more of a Burrowing Rat problem in Van city.....
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tips
- Do not try to treat the bugs with Raid etc as one poster noted it will only spread the bugs around the house as they try to avoid the chemical.

- Do not throw the mattress away, simple buy a mattress and box spring encasement that will trap the bugs inside and they will never be able to escape. Place all bedding and clothing in plastic bags and wash all at once. Place the clean laundry in new garbage bags and remove after the second or follw up treatment.

- They are called bed bugs but often live in the headboards, baseboards, nightstands and cracks and crevices near their host.

- As far as your girlfriend gettting bites and you are not. it means one of two things. Hanky panky or the more likely scenario that you simply do not react to the bites.
Everyone reacts differently some show no reaction what so ever, some get small red dots, some experience mosquito like bumps and some people break out into full blown hives and anafalactic reaction.

"I'm thinking I should throw my Wii, PS3 and computer into the storage space away from pest control and the chemicals." - I wouldn't worry too much about the electronics as the technician will be performing a crack and crevice treatment and will not be Fumigating. Unlike roaches Bed bugs are rarely found in electronics, with the odd time they are located in a alarm clock.

"I've thrown my bed into some stonewear cups so they bedbugs can't climb onto my bed anymore, and moved my bed away from the walls as well." I do not know what storewear cups means but moving the bed away from the wall will to nothing to deter the bugs from finding their food - You!

after treatment do not vacuum as you will be lifting the pesticide and the pesticide employed will be working long after the treatment is finished. It is a residual pesticide and will be effective 14 to 45 days depending on uv exposure , temperature and humidity etc.

anymore questions feel free to ask.
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:58 PM   #29
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This thread is making my skin crawl and reminding me of working in Manitoba last year. The southeast part of the province is infested with deer ticks, after walking through the grass for 50' I pulled 5 ticks off my pants and found one on my shoulder later that night.

Getting itchy right now just thinking about it, disgusting Manitobans.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #30
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd just catch some spiders from outside and have them live in my room with me.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #31
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks Circa 89. Lots of help in your post. My girlfriend is super allergic to bites (spiders, mosquitoes, bee stings, bedbugs etc.), whereas I'm not. I had the odd bump, but didn't think too much of it. Really caught my attention on Thanksgiving weekend.

How much later should we do the second treatment? Also, should I wash the clothes hanging in my closet?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #32
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanksgiving should have read as Easter. I would edit the post but I'm on my BB atm.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #33
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I'd just catch some spiders from outside and have them live in my room with me.
I was just about to suggest something similiar but very effective. If you do not have any cats go to a reptile dealer and purchase a couple Day Geckos and let them run free for a few days. What bed bugs?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #34
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
For the people wondering about incest, it's ok, he's from Alabama.
No, I'm not from Alabama. I live here now. Two sister was gone somewhere, IDK where but she was gone. Three her bed smelled like bad BO so it was great.

ass.

Tags
bite , diebugsdie , onlygoodbugisadeadbug , roommatessuck