Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #2221
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Noob traveller questions

I assume that's just the flight price. How much would it cost for a trip there booking a hotel and everything? Are there all inclusives?

What's Jamaica like?
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #2222
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Curtis,

Just wanted to let you know the deals map is an appreciated piece of work. I'm going through withdrawal like systems while it's down, so there are people out here who use and thank you for the hard work you're doing on it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #2223
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to Mexico next week, at an all-inclusive for the first time.

To anyone who has gone to one recently, how much cash did you bring? US or Pesos? While at the resort, even though it says tips are included, did you tip, and if so, how much and how often?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #2224
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Noob traveller questions

I assume that's just the flight price. How much would it cost for a trip there booking a hotel and everything? Are there all inclusives?

What's Jamaica like?
They do have all inclusives, although personally I would just find a nice cheap place with good reviews on TripAdvisor with a great beach and a bottle of rum. Can find everything from $50/night to $1000/night.

The hotel is usually the easy part, it's the flight costs that rarely waiver too much. More and more I'm finding that I book the flight first and worry about where I'm going to stay later. There's always something reasonable. This one is a little tougher though, with the departure being only a week away! Definitely not for everyone.

Quote:
Hey Curtis,

Just wanted to let you know the deals map is an appreciated piece of work. I'm going through withdrawal like systems while it's down, so there are people out here who use and thank you for the hard work you're doing on it.
Thanks man, believe me, I miss it too. I've been busy with some other things so I haven't really had time to work on it, but hope to soon.

Just to note, I'm Chris. Curtis is my Olympian turned doctor cousin, the black sheep of the family.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #2225
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'm going to Mexico next week, at an all-inclusive for the first time.

To anyone who has gone to one recently, how much cash did you bring? US or Pesos? While at the resort, even though it says tips are included, did you tip, and if so, how much and how often?

Thanks.
Some tips from Calgary's 'other' forum...

Quote:
we were in the riviera maya from dec. 18 - dec. 25. here are some of my lessons learned:

- bring lots of $1 bills for tipping. they DO remember who you are.
- do not use USD for shopping because you will receive mexican pesos for your change. not a very good deal, i think.
- always offer half of the asking price when purchasing anything.
- don't be afraid to take the collectivos. very safe and very cheap.
- make friends with the locals working at the resorts! they're geniunely nice, generally.
- i, personally, hated taking the taxi because i know that they know they screwed me with the rate, LOL!
- bring sun screen because it'll cost you 3 times more there.
- if you want a discounted price on excursions, do not book with the hotel. we booked our trips at PDC and saved some cash. although, i'd have to warn you that our trip to chichen itza was canceled because the van never showed up! oh well, only lost $8 in deposit. we still saved on other trips.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
Old 01-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #2226
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Thanks man, believe me, I miss it too. I've been busy with some other things so I haven't really had time to work on it, but hope to soon.

Just to note, I'm Chris. Curtis is my Olympian turned doctor cousin, the black sheep of the family.
Thanks very much, I look forward to seeing it whenever you get time to put it up. As a side note, have you considered monetizing it in some way, to help you cover costs/your time? Because I'd pay a subscription and/or book travel through an affiliate link if it'd help you out. It definitely adds value to me.

Sorry about the name screwup, and at least imo the olympics don't have anything on saving money on travel...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #2227
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Thanks very much, I look forward to seeing it whenever you get time to put it up. As a side note, have you considered monetizing it in some way, to help you cover costs/your time? Because I'd pay a subscription and/or book travel through an affiliate link if it'd help you out. It definitely adds value to me.

Sorry about the name screwup, and at least imo the olympics don't have anything on saving money on travel...
I have some interesting things planned for the site, and it's one of the reasons I've been so busy lately. I wanted to build my own tools from the ground up, to show people what they should be doing to narrow down the best deal possible in the shortest amount of time. I wanted the tools to be different, unbiased, easier to use and just plain better than anything else out there.

I will be beta testing the first one shortly. Hopefully people will enjoy it, and it will allow me to build the rest. I'm pretty excited about it!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #2228
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last minute flight from Calgary to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, Mexico - $229 roundtrip after taxes

This is a *really* last minute flight.

AirCanadaVacations just drastically slashed the price of their Jan 14-21 flight from Calgary to Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo (ZIH) airport down to $229 roundtrip after taxes.

Here's how to find it...

1. http://www.aircanadavacations.com

2. Click on Flights.

Search for Calgary to 'All Mexico'.

Departing Jan 14, and Returning Jan 21.

3. Hit Search

screenshot of verified price:

Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #2229
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any deals for a Calgary to New York trip from April 27 to May 1?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #2230
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Any deals for a Calgary to New York trip from April 27 to May 1?
Can't say I've seen any unusual airfare activity to NYC since this...

http://www.yycdeals.com/calgary-to-n...ghout-schedule

(about 40% cheaper than flights currently stand)

Old 01-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #2231
jjbouma
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hi Chris,

I'm looking at flying to Bergamo (near Milan) for a wedding in mid-late April. I'm thinking of flying from Calgary to Milan, traveling around Italy, then flying from Rome to Amsterdam, staying a couple of days in Amsterdam and then going home. Right now KLM has this itinerary for ~$1000 incl tax. Historically, does that seem like a fairly good fare price? What's the lowest you've seen for something like this?

Thanks!
jjbouma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #2232
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbouma View Post
Hi Chris,

I'm looking at flying to Bergamo (near Milan) for a wedding in mid-late April. I'm thinking of flying from Calgary to Milan, traveling around Italy, then flying from Rome to Amsterdam, staying a couple of days in Amsterdam and then going home. Right now KLM has this itinerary for ~$1000 incl tax. Historically, does that seem like a fairly good fare price? What's the lowest you've seen for something like this?

Thanks!
I would say that's about as cheap as one can typically expect for an itinerary involving flying into Europe on a major carrier, into one city and out of another, from Calgary. For all 3 flights I would say that's a good deal. Even with a rock bottom Air Transat flight + cheap flights between cities I doubt you'd save $.

Last edited by cmyden; 01-15-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #2233
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figured I'd post in here instead of starting a new thread.

Looking for suggestions for a short trip (5-7 nights) between Feb 11-20. Usually do a ski week around that time but this year it may not pan out. Thinking of doing Vegas for a few days, then driving to LA to catch the Flames/Kings game.

-If I go the Vegas/LA route, any suggestions on a good hotel near the arena?

-Any other suggestions for a quick(ish) trip? Open to pretty much whatever. Will be travelling with one other person. No budget set, but not looking to break the bank either.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 01-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #2234
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for flights for 2 to LAX from YYC on Feb 16, coming back on Feb 20.

Any ideas? The cheapest I can find right now is around $680 all in return, per person. That's about what we paid for last year for the both of us...
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #2235
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Looking for flights for 2 to LAX from YYC on Feb 16, coming back on Feb 20.

Any ideas? The cheapest I can find right now is around $680 all in return, per person. That's about what we paid for last year for the both of us...
Damn, that is pretty pricey to LAX.

I don't think there's a lot you can do, unless you're willing to fly slightly different dates and/or into surrounding airports.

This query on Kayak will cover them all: BUR, SNA, LGB, LAX, and ONT.

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-LA...-flexible-1day

Old 01-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #2236
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Damn, that is pretty pricey to LAX.

I don't think there's a lot you can do, unless you're willing to fly slightly different dates and/or into surrounding airports.

This query on Kayak will cover them all: BUR, SNA, LGB, LAX, and ONT.

http://www.kayak.com/flights/#YYC-LA...-flexible-1day

That's exactly what I thought. And it keeps getting more expensive by the day. When I started looking it was approx $500 per person R/T, taxes in.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #2237
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
That's exactly what I thought. And it keeps getting more expensive by the day. When I started looking it was approx $500 per person R/T, taxes in.
Family Day is on the 20th, which can mean much higher travel demand a few days on either side. Presidents Day in the U.S. on the same day doesn't help.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #2238
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Chris,

What are the cheapest hubs in Europe to fly to generally if you're planning on taking one of the discount airlines after that?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #2239
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Hey Chris,

What are the cheapest hubs in Europe to fly to generally if you're planning on taking one of the discount airlines after that?
It's tough to beat London, as you can fly out from LGW or LHR, both of which have plenty of discount airlines. (Although taxes/fees can be higher)

Otherwise, I would probably say Amsterdam.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #2240
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a place that shows historical prices for flights? I'd like to plan a trip to Europe this summer but I just want to know what the ticket prices have been over the last year or so to certain places. I haven't done a search on Google or anything as I thought it might be better to get some links from a few experts.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote