Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2024, 07:34 AM   #41
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
maybe integrity isn't a big thing for you, that's fine - you do you
Internet message board integrity? lol. Yes I will do me. Hehe.

Hey that guy with the Simpsons character avatar and that other guy with a talking cheetah avatar might not be telling the truth on this online message board where people make jokes about hookers and blow all the time!

Woah, woah, let’s remember the importance of integrity on the internet.

I like CP as much as the next guy but we’re not talking about life or death here. People need to lighten up a bit. It’s hard to believe anyone could take trade rumours this seriously but here you are.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 07:43 AM   #42
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's a pretty serious allegation - back it up, or shut the #### up

Holy #### Maybe time to step away from the keyboard.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:52 AM   #43
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think it's been more than evident that people are pretty tired of attacks on those that may or may not have links to the team and can provide information.

The constant questioning and belittling of these people is pretty pathetic.

I'm not going to get into integrity on a message board but calling it fake certainly isn't a nice term for people questioning why they bother.

Once again, if people don't consider these people credible (certainly possible), put them on ignore and refrain from insulting them, making it less likely they continue for people that get enjoyment out of it.

Very simple premise. Should be easy to follow.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:57 AM   #44
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bingo, operator of a successful Internet forum and baby sitter.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 07:58 AM   #45
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
maybe integrity isn't a big thing for you, that's fine - you do you

You know, one could make the argument that some good faith criticism of the extent to which CP is being turned into one big insiderrr thirst trap is, itself, about integrity -- the integrity of the board, its high standards of discussion and decorum, its long history of collegial self-governance and moderation. You know, all of the things that have made CP a wonderful place to discuss the Flames, the NHL, and other things for over two decades.

It's worth thinking about how those things get eroded when seemingly anyone can remake themselves into an insider overnight, and when even good faith questions about veracity, track record, etc. of those posters get shouted down in the interest of "rumours are fun."
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:03 AM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
You know, one could make the argument that some good faith criticism of the extent to which CP is being turned into one big insiderrr thirst trap is, itself, about integrity -- the integrity of the board, its high standards of discussion and decorum, its long history of collegial self-governance and moderation. You know, all of the things that have made CP a wonderful place to discuss the Flames, the NHL, and other things for over two decades.

It's worth thinking about how those things get eroded when seemingly anyone can remake themselves into an insider overnight, and when even good faith questions about veracity, track record, etc. of those posters get shouted down in the interest of "rumours are fun."
Damn, I definitely have to score one of those premium memberships if this is the experience you fancy bitches are getting.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:04 AM   #47
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think it's been more than evident that people are pretty tired of attacks on those that may or may not have links to the team and can provide information.

The constant questioning and belittling of these people is pretty pathetic.

I'm not going to get into integrity on a message board but calling it fake certainly isn't a nice term for people questioning why they bother.

Once again, if people don't consider these people credible (certainly possible), put them on ignore and refrain from insulting them, making it less likely they continue for people that get enjoyment out of it.

Very simple premise. Should be easy to follow.

Bingo, with respect, you've been using this language of "belittling" and "attacks" as if there has been a constant stream of pile-ons, but I just don't see that. From my chair, it looks like a few of the usual bad actors trolling, a handful of legitimate critiques or questions, but on the whole an absolutely overwhelming number of posters thanking, supporting, begging, and pleading with the insiders to continue posting.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:08 AM   #48
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Internet message board integrity? lol. Yes I will do me. Hehe.

Hey that guy with the Simpsons character avatar and that other guy with a talking cheetah avatar might not be telling the truth on this online message board where people make jokes about hookers and blow all the time!

Woah, woah, let’s remember the importance of integrity on the internet.

I like CP as much as the next guy but we’re not talking about life or death here. People need to lighten up a bit. It’s hard to believe anyone could take trade rumours this seriously but here you are.
I agree with you.

But it's funny how you lost your #### in the TLOU thread over spoilers. Kind of makes your post look silly.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:12 AM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bingo, with respect, you've been using this language of "belittling" and "attacks" as if there has been a constant stream of pile-ons, but I just don't see that. From my chair, it looks like a few of the usual bad actors trolling, a handful of legitimate critiques or questions, but on the whole an absolutely overwhelming number of posters thanking, supporting, begging, and pleading with the insiders to continue posting.
Yeah it's a bit of an exaggeration for sure. Some time ago I mentioned that I wasn't a fan of teasing by GIF communication but I wouldn't call that an outright attack as other posters had also brought that up. That said I don't have an issue with that poster, dissentowner, or any of the other people posting rumours they are hearing as anything to discuss is better than nothing.

When someone has inside information and chooses to post in a forum they will have to deal with skeptics as that's just the reality of what insiders have to deal with. Look at all the hate Seravalli gets here for being pretty well right almost all the time going back to Treliving leaving the Flames a year ago. As I said before I've seen this on NFL boards with insiders just quitting giving out information because it can be a bit of a thankless job because people are going to be people.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:22 AM   #50
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's more than a few but yeah a small percentage.

But we've also heard of people that just give up passing along information that they can't 100% validate for fear of being slammed.

Not a good look.

It's easy ... put them on ignore so you don't have to see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:23 AM   #51
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Damn, I definitely have to score one of those premium memberships if this is the experience you fancy bitches are getting.
Normally I would take offence to this, but I'm too busy getting my nails did.

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:23 AM   #52
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah it's a bit of an exaggeration for sure. Some time ago I mentioned that I wasn't a fan of teasing by GIF communication but I wouldn't call that an outright attack as other posters had also brought that up. That said I don't have an issue with that poster, dissentowner, or any of the other people posting rumours they are hearing as anything to discuss is better than nothing.

When someone has inside information and chooses to post in a forum they will have to deal with skeptics as that's just the reality of what insiders have to deal with. Look at all the hate Seravalli gets here for being pretty well right almost all the time going back to Treliving leaving the Flames a year ago. As I said before I've seen this on NFL boards with insiders just quitting giving out information because it can be a bit of a thankless job because people are going to be people.
Exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:37 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
Yeah but people are going to be people Bingo. Forums are a better place when you come to the realization that different people have different opinions and that you are going to disagree with a lot of them and that's just not on this topic but other ones as well. When the Flames make a trade it doesn't take long for some posters to start attacking posters that may have a negative take on the return. If a fan has a negative take why should they not be able to post it? I just don't understand why some people want forums turned into echo chambers were everyone shares the same opinions as differing opinions is what makes forums interesting and drives discussion. It's the attacks, non-moderator policing, and the glass half full vs glass half empty eternal arguments that bring everything down.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:38 AM   #54
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I'm a big fan of this forum because of the hockey knowledge shown on here and Sureloss breaking news as it happens.

In my opinion the gif "rumours" are so dumb. He doesn't even give any actually information. He just posts a gif and the next 2 pages are people trying to decipher it. It's like HForums type stuff.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 08:51 AM   #55
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I'm a big fan of this forum because of the hockey knowledge shown on here and Sureloss breaking news as it happens.

In my opinion the gif "rumours" are so dumb. He doesn't even give any actually information. He just posts a gif and the next 2 pages are people trying to decipher it. It's like HForums type stuff.

Yeah and even dumber is people trying to decipher gifs that can be interpreted to mean anything. And it's not like they drop before something is going down, it's completely random. But when people want to believe there is something going on they will believe it, no matter how bad the evidence is. I say give the mass what they want, like gladiator fights in Rome, lol. Just give Sec his own thread where he can post the gifs and people can speculate them there, so it doesn't clog up the trade thread.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:53 AM   #56
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No, no, no. Don't criticise Sec214, he's a god around here.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:55 AM   #57
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

Not a popular opinion but I tend to agree...

If you are going to "share information" you also have to be willing to concede to some of the criticism that comes with it. Just comes with the territory.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #58
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Yeah and even dumber is people trying to decipher gifs that can be interpreted to mean anything. And it's not like they drop before something is going down, it's completely random. But when people want to believe there is something going on they will believe it, no matter how bad the evidence is. I say give the mass what they want, like gladiator fights in Rome, lol. Just give Sec his own thread where he can post the gifs and people can speculate them there, so it doesn't clog up the trade thread.
I am so glad to read this post. I thought I was going crazy for a while there as fully grown men lapped up this childish nonsense. They can continue to do that, as you say, in his own personal thread while the trade thread returns to its former glory.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:02 AM   #59
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t know if being 99% full of the worst trade proposals you’ve ever seen is what most adults would call a thread’s “former glory.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:03 AM   #60
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the gif “rumours “ are a hoot. They bring more fun to the forum. Enjoy them! Why so serious? Remember what your parents told you… If you don’t have anything nice to say then zip it!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post: