Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2017, 05:29 PM   #41
4X4
One of the Nine
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Sorry it was May long it went down for.


So it went down one time before a long weekend out of the dozens/hundreds of times it's gone up before long weekends since I've had a license. What's your point exactly? Do you contend that it does not go up before long weekends? Do you live on a different planet?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:34 PM   #42
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Its not even just that fuel prices go up on Long Weekends, its the huge jumps that really annoy me.

A few cents here or there? Okay.

A nickel? Okay

A dime....oookay....

More than that? Come on!
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #43
Dan02
Franchise Player
 
Dan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I have the Gas Buddy app on my phone. There's an Esso on 14th Street and 26th Avenue SW that's consistently a good deal cheaper that the others around where I live.
Filled up there around noon today at .869
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #44
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

All the ones on McKnight and Centre are now 104.9, but the Fill n' Go on Edmonton Trail near the Rona is 88.9 until 10pm tonight, if you are in the area.
__________________
Air Canada - We're not happy until you're not happy.
Telus - hold on tight, we're going in dry!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #45
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post


So it went down one time before a long weekend out of the dozens/hundreds of times it's gone up before long weekends since I've had a license. What's your point exactly? Do you contend that it does not go up before long weekends? Do you live on a different planet?
I contend that gas price generally tracks crude oil price and is independant of long weekends

http://www.CalgaryGasPrices.com/reta...me=60&units=ca

For some odd reason though as crude price went up this July gas prices continued to drop and all through July we were underpaying for gas relative to crude price and the correction hit this week.

http://www.CalgaryGasPrices.com/reta...tme=1&units=ca

So the past two weeks you should have been complaining that gas prices weren't tracking oil prices

Last edited by GGG; 08-01-2017 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Fixed charts
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #46
Northendzone
Franchise Player
 
Northendzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Exp:
Default

Perhaps I am way off base on this, but I seem to recall that back in the good old days when the price of a barrel of oil was ne'er $100 barrel, the cost of a litre of a gas was what a $1.20'ish. And with the price of a barrel today, the cost of gas still seems high relative to the good old days.....
__________________
I really like bikes and bike related discussions......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #47
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Perhaps I am way off base on this, but I seem to recall that back in the good old days when the price of a barrel of oil was ne'er $100 barrel, the cost of a litre of a gas was what a $1.20'ish. And with the price of a barrel today, the cost of gas still seems high relative to the good old days.....
...that is because we are taking it in the pooper.....
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Perhaps I am way off base on this, but I seem to recall that back in the good old days when the price of a barrel of oil was ne'er $100 barrel, the cost of a litre of a gas was what a $1.20'ish. And with the price of a barrel today, the cost of gas still seems high relative to the good old days.....
Yeah if you look that 5 year chart I link when oil prices crashed the spread decreased significantly.

You would have to do some math to figure out if it's correct or a scam as the dollar going from even to 1.3 means that gas at a similar oil price should be 30% more expansive.

So $1 gas at the current exchange rate is like 75 cent gas at par.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #49
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback
 
BigNumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

RBOB - gasoline futures - are up big time over the past few weeks, due to more robust than forecast demand. I expect similar results up here (no real cdn rbob equivalent)

Gasoline futures up 22% since late June. Part of the reason gas prices are up - plus the usual long weekend shaftaroo

BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #50
4X4
One of the Nine
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I contend that gas price generally tracks crude oil price and is independant of long weekends

http://www.CalgaryGasPrices.com/reta...me=60&units=ca

For some odd reason though as crude price went up this July gas prices continued to drop and all through July we were underpaying for gas relative to crude price and the correction hit this week.

http://www.CalgaryGasPrices.com/reta...tme=1&units=ca

So the past two weeks you should have been complaining that gas prices weren't tracking oil prices
Why would I complain about prices that seemed reasonable? There is a fixed cost to the refining, and a variable cost to the price of oil. Gas was over a dollar a few years ago, and Oil was quite a bit higher than it is now. The price of gas has not gone down in a linear way because the cost of refining is going to be there whether oil is $100 or $1.

For the price of gas to jump 25% because of a $6 increase in oil is ridiculous, hence my complaining. It fluctuates all the time and I do not bump this thread because I understand why it varies a few cents each direction for days here and weeks there. But like clockwork, there's always a spike before a long weekend. Usually it's just an eye roller, sometimes it's worth bitching about.

Not sure why you've got such a condescending tone with your "the past two weeks you should have been complaining". I guess I don't have as much time as you do. Dildo
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:08 PM   #51
Aleks
Scoring Winger
 
Aleks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Exp:
Default

Don't forget the USD exchange rate excuses, the CAD is stronger than it has been in years, which should equate to less at the pump

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #52
PepsiFree
First Line Centre
 
PepsiFree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Kehlani is my queen
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Don't forget the USD exchange rate excuses, the CAD is stronger than it has been in years, which should equate to less at the pump

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
That's a stretch
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 PM   #53
Robotic
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Robotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: AI
Exp:
Default

Times like this makes me want to get a slip tank and store it in the garage.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 08-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #54
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback
 
BigNumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Don't forget the USD exchange rate excuses, the CAD is stronger than it has been in years, which should equate to less at the pump

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
Nearly all our gas in Alta is refined here and uses our own crude, so the CAD appreciation is irrelevant to local pump prices.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #55
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Nearly all our gas in Alta is refined here and uses our own crude, so the CAD appreciation is irrelevant to local pump prices.
Not true, crude is priced in differentials to WTI. Exchange makes a significant difference to the Hardisty price of Western Canadian Select.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #56
OMG!WTF!
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Nearly all our gas in Alta is refined here and uses our own crude, so the CAD appreciation is irrelevant to local pump prices.
I'm not sure but I don't think that matters. You sound pretty sure though. So consider it a question. I assume we'd end up a smoking hole like Iraq if we did anything with oil in CAD.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #57
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback
 
BigNumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default Gas prices in Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Nearly all our gas in Alta is refined here and uses our own crude, so the CAD appreciation is irrelevant to local pump prices.


I understand that. However diffs have compressed a lot muting the impact of FX. Look at wcs diffs today at -9 vs -14 a few months ago. My point was simplistic but for folks to understand that the entire value chain for the refiners who sell the gas here is cad based.
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigNumbers For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 08-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #58
JFK
Scoring Winger
 
JFK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Times like this makes me want to get a slip tank and store it in the garage.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:57 PM   #59
GGG
Franchise Player
 
GGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Why would I complain about prices that seemed reasonable? There is a fixed cost to the refining, and a variable cost to the price of oil. Gas was over a dollar a few years ago, and Oil was quite a bit higher than it is now. The price of gas has not gone down in a linear way because the cost of refining is going to be there whether oil is $100 or $1.

For the price of gas to jump 25% because of a $6 increase in oil is ridiculous, hence my complaining. It fluctuates all the time and I do not bump this thread because I understand why it varies a few cents each direction for days here and weeks there. But like clockwork, there's always a spike before a long weekend. Usually it's just an eye roller, sometimes it's worth bitching about.

Not sure why you've got such a condescending tone with your "the past two weeks you should have been complaining". I guess I don't have as much time as you do. Dildo
I didn't Intend to be condescending. I get frustrated when all the data is available to make a rational conclusion and people choose not and just go with gut feel. The gas price one for weekends is one of my Pet Peeves.

The link below is a study based on historical Canadian gas prices. There is no evidence of holiday hikes.

http://www.kentgroupltd.com/wp-conte...icing-2014.pdf
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 10:13 PM   #60
OMG!WTF!
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I didn't Intend to be condescending. I get frustrated when all the data is available to make a rational conclusion and people choose not and just go with gut feel. The gas price one for weekends is one of my Pet Peeves.

The link below is a study based on historical Canadian gas prices. There is no evidence of holiday hikes.

http://www.kentgroupltd.com/wp-conte...icing-2014.pdf
I wonder if they are looking at all year round holidays. Mostly I think people notice the long weekend effect in the summer months starting with the May long weekend. I suspect looking at just may to labour day would give a different result. But I dunno.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Calgary Flames
2016-17




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016