Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #81
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by herashak View Post
Those rankings are from the Outdated hockeys future page that still puts reinhart as a 7.5 C. Which puts him ahead of the klimchuk and poirier rankings of 7.0 C which haven't been updated for 2 years. All 3 of Bennett, Gaudreau and baertschi are 8 C (Blue chips).
Yep. Regression is the wrong word to describe Reinhart, especially when he took the step he had last year. Reinhart was never really considered to be a potential top six forward, except by HF a couple years ago. 6 or 6.5 is probably where Reinhart should be graded, and the reasons why he was probably rated so highly back then is because we didn't have a 1st round pick back then, and so he was almost treated like one. That, combined with his good junior stats and how good he looked in comparison to the others in our weak prospect pool back then made it easy to overrate him.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #82
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually quite love Reinhart. He is composed, and does everything really well. You place a ceiling on him, and he will surprise you.

I will bet he becomes a regular NHL'er. I am not sure any longer what his ceiling is going to be, but he is going to be a strong contributor down the line. His IQ is simply too good for him to fail. I think both Reinhart and Arnold are probably the two most underrated and least appreciated prospects in the organization.

The only problem is that now the Flames find themselves sort of embarrassingly rich in depth when it comes to prospects, and this upcoming draft will add more (even if the Flames select in the bottom third of the NHL - implying they are in the playoffs and get out of the first round - this is a very good draft and with how the Flames are finding solid prospects in deeper rounds, I am expecting another couple of solid prospects at least).

Reinhart is just a versatile and very smart 2-way player. The only knock on him is that he needs to increase his speed a bit for the NHL. He isn't slow, but he needs to pick up his foot speed, especially to play in a system like Hartley has implemented.

I really, really think guys like Reinhart and Arnold are so important to successful organizations. Sure, the high-profile blue-chippers deserve the accolades they receive, and they are game-breakers. Guys like Reinhart and Arnold are guys that go a very long way with timely goals, great defensive plays, and providing the team with versatility and calmness.

It is just very difficult to figure out line combinations and ordering the depth in the organization. The Flames are unfortunately (or would that be fortunately?) going to have to make some tough decisions and some very good prospects are not going to become players for Calgary. Some will be forced to leave the organization as FAs and some will be traded away. I will bet that both Reinhart and Arnold become solid every-day NHL players for some team if they happen to get bumped within this organization.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #83
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
Yep. Regression is the wrong word to describe Reinhart, especially when he took the step he had last year. Reinhart was never really considered to be a potential top six forward, except by HF a couple years ago. 6 or 6.5 is probably where Reinhart should be graded, and the reasons why he was probably rated so highly back then is because we didn't have a 1st round pick back then, and so he was almost treated like one. That, combined with his good junior stats and how good he looked in comparison to the others in our weak prospect pool back then made it easy to overrate him.
He led the Heat in points last year. I think you're selling him short.

Also, HF "grades" are fairly useless.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #84
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reinhart reminds me of Nystrom...I think they are very similar.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #85
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
Reinhart reminds me of Nystrom...I think they are very similar.
Reinhart has done more at every level. Nystrom's best AHL season was less than 0.5 PPG. Reinhart was a good junior and a team leader in his second ahl season. However, Nystrom has played over 500 games in the NHL, so I'd take it. I just think he'll be better than Nyzerman
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #86
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

@AAVickers: #Flames prospect Mason McDonald (@mmcdonald96) named the QMJHL's '3rd Star of the Week' after sporting two wins, a 1.00 GAA and .962 SV%.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #87
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
He led the Heat in points last year. I think you're selling him short.

Also, HF "grades" are fairly useless.
I said he wasn't regressing, especially considering the season he had last year. Unless you think he has top two line potential, I don't I am selling him short at all - especially in comparison to those who already think he is regressing six weeks into the season. I think he is progressing just fine, and will definitely be an NHL player. It's not so much the grade HF gave as him as much as it is how they still think he is a top 5 prospect.

On topic though - good for McDonald.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #88
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kanzig may have been traded. Been speculated for a few weeks to the Hitmen

Regan Bartel @Reganrant
Possible trade? Victoria Royals quickly take d-man Keegan Kanzig off line up. Trade for Greg Chase complete perhaps?
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2014, 09:15 PM   #89
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Steinberg confirms:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Sounds like the Calgary Hitmen have acquired #Flames 2013 third round pick Keegan Kanzig from Victoria.

believe this is the first time the Hitmen have traded for a Flames prospect
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2014, 09:26 PM   #90
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great. Head start on getting familiar with his new digs.
Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 AM   #91
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Steinberg confirms:

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Sounds like the Calgary Hitmen have acquired #Flames 2013 third round pick Keegan Kanzig from Victoria.

believe this is the first time the Hitmen have traded for a Flames prospect

Calgary Sun

Quote:
Greg Chase is no longer a weapon for the Calgary Hitmen.

They traded the talented junior to the Victoria Royals late Wednesday night for 19-year-old Calgary Flames prospect Keegan Kanzig and a second-round pick in the 2016 WHL Bantam Draft.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #92
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
This is good. I would probably be more likely to go to more Hitmen games if more of them were Flames prospects, I know this isn't necessary but I'll probably be a bit more interested.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #93
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asked a WHL insider what Chase's problem was. All he said was if you trade for Chase you get his dad too
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #94
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kanzig with his first as a Hitmen in his first game!
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #95
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kanzig with a goal in his first game with the Hitmen.. He is playing on the second pairing behind Sanheim and Thomas.. He is paired with Colby Harmsworth.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #96
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks like they changed it to a Helgesen goal, Kanzig gets an assist though.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 PM   #97
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
Looks like they changed it to a Helgesen goal, Kanzig gets an assist though.

Ya they did..too bad. That shot was probably going in no matter if someone touched it or not.

Ill give you guys my amateur review of Keenan's performance.

First off Kanzig and Harmsworth looked good together as the second pairing. They were burned early on the first goal but I didn't really catch how the play developed and I am not sure who was out of position but it ended up being a two on one goal.

The rest of the night they looked solid and it's what the Hitmen needed. Earlier in the year French would break up the top pairing Sanheim and Thomas to help carry other DMen which hurt them. But now they can have a legit top 4 so I doubt he will have to do that anymore or much more rarely.

Kanzig definitely has a presence on the ice and his skating wasn't *all* that terrible. He seemed to be in good defensive position most of the time. He intimated a few guys in scrums and didn't take it too far other than 1 penalty at the end of the second. I thought he was pretty composed in general though.

Anyway I was happy with his performance. He is a big (no pun intended) addition to the Hitmen D corp but I don't know if he will ever crack the Flames line up on a regular basis.

Also after watching some interviews he was very well spoken which I don't remember him being from the past.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bezer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 07:30 AM   #98
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Saturday Nov 22

Kanzig had no points but had a fight in his 2nd game as a Hitmen, a 4-0 loss to the Rebels. managed to stay even on +/-
23gp 0g 7a 7pts +6 60pim

Carroll put up a goal in a 5-0 win over Regina
24gp 17g 15a 32pts +6 59pim

obviously Klimchuk had no points in the same game but managed to stay even on +/- even though Victoria put up 4 even strength goals
15gp 6g 9a 15pts +6 8pim

Roy had an assist in a 5-4 win over the Oil Kings
19gp 1g 9a 10pts +4 18pim

McDonald made 31 saves on 33 shots in a 3-2 OT win against Saint John. He was named 2nd star of the game.
10w 9l 2.73gaa 0.915sv%
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #99
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Klimchuk can pick it up offensively. His offensive NHL upside seems quite limited at the moment.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #100
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Hopefully Klimchuk can pick it up offensively. His offensive NHL upside seems quite limited at the moment.
That Pats team doesn't look as strong offensively as they did last year.

I'm sure his offense will pick up soon - last year he could go quiet for a few games but then get 4-5 points in one game. He hasn't had one of those this season (he's probably due one) and if he did there wouldn't be any concern. At the very least, he's a player who is a coach's type of player and can play anywhere in the lineup. I'm still high on him. In the two years prior to this season, he matched Eberle's PPG and so I think his offensive upside is still good.

Up until last night, he had a 10 game point streak (tied for 4th best in the WHL) - so he's got the consistency down, he just needs to have one of his breakout games.

Last edited by mile; 11-23-2014 at 01:19 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post: