Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Watching TV series

I have come to the point in my life that I have decided some TV series are too good to watch once a week, and I simply don't have the time anymore to watch them on a weekly basis.

I've now watched shows like
Boardwalk Empire all Seasons except the first
Hell on Wheels S2 and 3
GOT all seasons before this current one
Vikings all seasons before this current one
FTWD S2
Shameless last 2 seasons

and a few others now I can't even remember all in a weekend or 2, at once.

I'm finding its way better to watch them like one big movie, rather than losing track of whats going on (ADD maybe?) on a week to week basis.
I am going to watch last season of Banshee like that and a few others I have recorded.
There's many other shows old and new that I want to watch and don't even have the time for, like Preacher, Orphan Black, House of Cards.

I have to stick with golf instruction shows and crap like Hells kitchen for weekly viewings.

My point being,,, there is a lot of good tv on these days.
Also with hockey playoffs etc. not much time for watching recorded.

Oh and my other point being with Shaw on demand and shomi, I wouldn't even have the room to record these anymore. ( I know HOC is Netflix)
Old 05-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #2
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel the same way. I find it hard to watch multiple shows and want to focus on one show until I'm done with it. Except GOT and TWD, just cuz those shows are hard to avoid spoilers. Only problem I have when trying to watch one show is my wife doesn't like a lot of the shows I like. Also I can't watch those kind of shows during the day cuz of my kid and I tend to fall asleep early when trying to watch at night.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I seem to start watching shows right after they've been cancelled or ended their run. I'm working through Justified and plan to start Banshee after that.

I agree GOT and TWD are best watched as they are aired because the discussion is part of the fun. Everything else I'm happy to binge on.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #4
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

This is where Netflix is ahead of the curve. Most people hate commercials, and therefore would pay to avoid commercials and watch everything at once. Netflix gives you both options.

I have a few shows I keep up with, but I hate watching week to week. It just kills the interest for me and more often than not I've just stopped watching period.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's only a 2-3 shows I consider appointment television now. Most of the rest I just catch up when I can, or save 'em up to binge later. And sometimes later never comes.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #6
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never watch shows week to week. The only time I did that was when I caught up to Breaking Bad in season 3. Then they took a year off and did those stupid half seasons. I vowed never again to watch a series week to week. It's torture.

I'll binge watch an entire season and wait for the next season. That I can live with. But ideally the series is completed, or at least 5 seasons in.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I hate binging. I find a lot of the enjoyment of a good dramatic TV show is that time between episodes... wondering what's going to happen next, remembering the best parts of the last episode, etc. I don't need to wait a whole week between episodes, but a couple days, at least! Don't get me wrong, I love the convenience of the streaming, watch-when-you-want model and I'll never go back to cable, but I don't think I'll ever burn through a whole season of a drama in one weekend. Comedies are a different matter as there isn't that same sort of savoring quality and I don't mind burning through a whole season of a comedy over a week or so.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote