Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #21
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Personally I use Limewire and find it works just great. Very simple process of just typing in the artist or the song and then downloading.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
You can also use Sharepod to get your music from your ipod back to your PC. and it's free.
Yeah sharepod is awesome. But I wonder if the author has come up with a way of dealing with apple screwing with third party music loading software on the new iPods
Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 AM   #23
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlame View Post
Personally I use Limewire and find it works just great. Very simple process of just typing in the artist or the song and then downloading.
How's the quality? I last used Limewire 3 years ago and it was 20% chance I'd get a decent recording. Is the RIAA still flooding the networks with garbage files?
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #24
Flames09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

/\ I love MP3 ROCKET!!
Flames09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I dumped my IPOD due to the battery replacement crap.

I picked up a SANSA MP3 player, and I really like the way that you can just drap and drop MP3 files to it. It comes with a good media converter for video and it has a built in FM tuner.

No more Itunes for me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
How's the quality? I last used Limewire 3 years ago and it was 20% chance I'd get a decent recording. Is the RIAA still flooding the networks with garbage files?
I use the limewire pro which costs me 10 bucks. It works great.

And I'm not getting overloaded with adware and malware anymore.

Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #27
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Honestly I dumped my IPOD due to the battery replacement crap.
Could you expand on your experience? I'm considering buying a Nano for my wife and a Classic for in the car (the Mini has an iPod input).

BTW, does anyone know if iPods will drop in price come Boxing Day?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #28
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I sold ipods on boxing day last year, i know they didnt drop the price at all but rather threw in a $20 itunes card, that was as good as it got. As far as the battery issues with the ipod, they used to be horrendous. I can't speak about the new ones (classic/nano) as I havent heard much about them recently, but understand apple does not cover the battery under there 1 year warranty.

Heres a little video about the ipod battery, I think it was recorded just before the video came out though:
http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #29
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I've been looking for a large capacity player to compliment my 2g shuffle for a few weeks now. After a lot of research and many store visits, I just couldn't get myself to buy another ipod. The only ones that interested me were the nano for the size and the touch for the wifi. I quickly ruled out the touch when I looked at the $/GB and ruled out the nano after I saw a few competitors. I ended up buying a Creative Zen 8GB. Very happy with it and the best thing is I don't have to install iTunes anymore. Drag and drop songs for the win!

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 12-04-2007 at 12:38 AM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 AM   #30
JohnnyFlame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
You do have to do a bit of work but hey that's all it's costing you is a little time.
JohnnyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Could you expand on your experience? I'm considering buying a Nano for my wife and a Classic for in the car (the Mini has an iPod input).

BTW, does anyone know if iPods will drop in price come Boxing Day?
I had the nano 2B version, and the battery crapped out of it this year, and I was told that it was an 80 dollar replacement. You can buy the kit, and do it yourself but its not the easiest thing in the world and requires sodering.

to me when a battery replacement costs that much, it becomes a disposale technology.

I went with the SANSA because the battery replacement is a lot easier, the operation doesn't require you to mess around with software on your PC (Unless your doing video), and the ability to use it as a data key and the FM tuner, and the price made it a easy decision.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #32
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

If she is a runner go with the nano and the nike sport kit. it costs $40 and tracks your runs. Very cool and easy to use. I got my first nano at Costco, got caught running in the rain and it crapped out. They took it back and I got the new version with video for $80 less. Colour me happy.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #33
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the Nano's, is it worthwhile getting an extended warranty, or are they pretty rugged (within reason) & reliable?
Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #34
alltherage
Missed the bus

Exp:

Go to Best Buy man. All we get is "stupid" questions. Salespeople understand that not everyone knows what we know. We HAVE to know this stuff, you just want to buy it!
alltherage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #35
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
With the Nano's, is it worthwhile getting an extended warranty, or are they pretty rugged (within reason) & reliable?
It's flash memory, so it is more reliable than the Classics with the hard drive.

You don't have to buy the extended protection at the time of purchase. You can actually buy it any time throughout the year, so you can decide down the road how valuable it would be for you.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 PM   #36
Sled
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Another couple of Ipod for dummies questions.

My music libary consists of traditonal cd's as well as some ill gotten downloads from the internet. I'm just curious can I transfer my full library to an ipod?

Why is itunes so disliked? Are there other sources to buy videos music, audio books and free podcasts?

Sled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #37
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any MP3 that is not specificly DRMed for use on a specific MP3 player ( 99.999 % of stuff that is illegal will not have any DRM) so will work fine, plus anything you added from CD's
is totally fair game for use on an Ipod (or any other MP3 player I am aware of).

As for Itunes, people dislike it because you cant just simply add a single song by dragging it to your players hard drive, you need to sync the entire drive. Personally i didnt find it that awkward, since I charge mine off USB anyway.

Some dislike paying for music, when you can get it for free. Personally for a buck a song, the ease and reliability of downloading (try finding a good download on any p2p service the first try) make it more than worth it to pay a buck. There are limits to what you can do with this music, like you can only have it on 5 computers, 8 CD's or on unlimited ipods at any one time. Any more than that and you would need to redownload the song for another buck. However, if you want DRM free music that you can use the song as many times as you want, on whatever player you want etc, you can pay 1.39 a song ( On most songs, some are not avaibale in DRM free version).

I also really like about Itunes is that it easily rips any CD into your itunes library, anyone, no matter how clueless can use it.

That said, my ipod is 4 years old and the battery only lasts about 3 hours now on a full charge, so I am considering buying a new player. I have seen the creative zen and for the price it seems very nice.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #38
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My Creative Zen Vision M is 2 years old. Battery life is an advertised 14 hours, and it actually still goes slightly over. I timed it a few weeks ago. If you are hell bent on an iPod, that best buy service plan might be a good idea.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:50 AM   #39
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
As for Itunes, people dislike it because you cant just simply add a single song by dragging it to your players hard drive, you need to sync the entire drive. Personally i didnt find it that awkward, since I charge mine off USB anyway.
I haven't installed iTunes yet myself, but the younger bucks in my office have assured me that you can turn off the "sync the entire drive" setting and selectively download files onto the iPod. This may be a recent development though.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #40
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't installed iTunes yet myself, but the younger bucks in my office have assured me that you can turn off the "sync the entire drive" setting and selectively download files onto the iPod. This may be a recent development though.
This is a feature that has been there since I got my iPod (circa 2004). Shuffles come configured to do this automatically.

iTunes was great before version 7. Since then it's been nothing but a bloated pain in the butt. That said, there is nothing else worth using on the Windows side of things. I hate having to organize my music manually using folders and other such nonesense. A portable database system similar to the iPod setup is perfect.

wait... did Amarok2 get released on windows yet?
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote