Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Question about IPODS...

I am obviously not good with tech. stuff (still had a cassette player in my car recently until I sold it) but my little sister wants an IPOD for X-Mas. I know briefly how these things work but I guess "IPOD for dummies" question, are they hard to figure out? How do I download songs for her? etc. What's a good one to get for a decent price? Tried asking questions at tech. stores today but everyone is so busy and I felt bad asking them dumb questions so I thought I would ask my friends at Calgary Puck. Plus I am not originally from Canada and my english isn't the best at times so it makes the questions even dumber when i'm asking them! Thanks in advance, any info will help. Don;t be scared to put obvious information in as I said anything helps.
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

loading music is easy. You can download Itunes and then load your CD's into your hard drive and sync them with the IPOD. Or just buy songs from ITunesm etc. Pretty simple stuff.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Talk to the staff at Westworld ... they're the main Apple dealer in Calgary. Their prices are usually as good as anywhere, and you get expert advice. They likely even offer one-hour "iPods For Dummies" classes a couple times a week. Ask for Mike DeJong ... he's a good sales rep.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #4
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

^ pervert.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just shopped for iPods and MP3 players yesterday. I ended up buying an MP3 instead of an iPod. I suggest the OP consider the option of the MP3 player, in addition to looking at the iPods. I believe that there are more options for downloading music if you have an MP3.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I just shopped for iPods and MP3 players yesterday. I ended up buying an MP3 instead of an iPod. I suggest the OP consider the option of the MP3 player, in addition to looking at the iPods. I believe that there are more options for downloading music if you have an MP3.
if you have an iPod you don't only have to use iTunes
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

To clarify: If you have an Ipod, you do need itunes to transfer music over to it. Itunes does not necessarily need to be source of your music, however.

You can transfer CDs to your computer through Itunes (Apple's music software), then they go on to your ipod. You're not just limited to downloading music.

In terms of getting an ipod with the best value, I'd say go for an 80GB Ipod classic.

With 80GB of storage, most people can store a large chunk of their music collection on it, if not their entire music collection. This ipod also is capable of playing video, and some basic games that are available for download on Itunes. There is a 160GB version, but that is bigger and bulkier. It also is more storage than many people need.

The ipod nano is a very nice option as well. The major advantage they have is being very small. The problem is that the capacity is relatively small too. If she has a ton of CDs, then a nano likely won't suffice. You can still hold many hundreds of songs on a nano, though- so without a big CD collection, it may be a good option. The newest ipod nanos are capable of everything the bigger Ipod classic is, like playing video.

Last edited by Kipper is King; 12-02-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Kipper is King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
To clarify: If you have an Ipod, you do need itunes to transfer music over to it.
No you do not. There are plenty of other software programs that can transfer music to an iPod other then iTunes.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
brownie
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
No you do not. There are plenty of other software programs that can transfer music to an iPod other then iTunes.
Not to derail this thread but I just got a Macbook and was wondering what my options are for downloading music?Itunes is a buck a song which can add up pretty quick.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

For a new ipod owner, i'd stick with Itunes at first. just just try installing it, you don't even have to buy an ipod to do that. go to apple.com
As for the ipod, i think it depends on the age of your sister and how she wants to use it. My teenage daughter for instance, much prefers the new ipod nano over the touch. she loves the small size and the screen is pretty nice, maybe not for watching movies but nice for pictures and album art.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
gildo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all the info....awesome! I have another question about "I TUNES" how much does it cost to download a song?
gildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

99 cents. But you can get DRM free music for 1.50 I think. I think all that means is that you can put the songs on other MP3 players.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:32 PM   #13
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
An ipod is an mp3 player...
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
An ipod is an mp3 player...
yeah I caught that too
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #15
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie View Post
Not to derail this thread but I just got a Macbook and was wondering what my options are for downloading music?Itunes is a buck a song which can add up pretty quick.
I use... http://www.acquisitionp2p.com/
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If you really want to freak her out, get her an iTouch.
Dont even bother. They're just waiting until everyone buys one to release the iRape.

I'm rapidly becoming iRate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
^ pervert.
This is not news around here.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #17
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

I also have a question about IPODS..

My ITunes is on my laptop. If I were to lose my computer or if it crashed, would I still have access to the library of music from another computer??? I have the songs on my Ipod.....but what if my laptop crashed? Would I be able to transfer those songs from my Ipod to another computer's ITunes and then update from that new computer?

Just wondering because it looks like my laptop is going to die very soon...

Thanks!
OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #18
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes you can Oilersbaby. Its not a simple process, but you can buy software for about 15 bucks or find it online to allow you to do it. You do need the software though b/c ipods are designed to not let you do this.
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:25 AM   #19
Flames09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilersBaby View Post
I also have a question about IPODS..

My ITunes is on my laptop. If I were to lose my computer or if it crashed, would I still have access to the library of music from another computer??? I have the songs on my Ipod.....but what if my laptop crashed? Would I be able to transfer those songs from my Ipod to another computer's ITunes and then update from that new computer?

Just wondering because it looks like my laptop is going to die very soon...

Thanks!

You can actually rip all your songs off your ipod onto your computer, my old computer crashed and both my sisters lost their music but I had it on mine and ended up getting it all back.

How To (Windows)

Similarly, you can copy songs from an iPod onto a Windows PC by enabling hidden folders to be viewed. Here's how.
1. Open your My Computer directory.
2. Double click on your iPod.
3. Go to Tools > Folder Options > View.
4. In the Advanced Settings list, under Hidden files and folders, check the radio button for Show hidden files and folders. Then click OK.
5. Go to iPod_Control > Music. You'll see the iPod's music organized randomly into a bunch of folders. Copy those into your music directory.
Although the filenames of the songs will be scrambled, their ID3 tags will be intact, so you'll be able to navigate the songs as usual on your computer or another iPod.
6. To unscramble the filenames:
a. In iTunes, go to Edit>Prefrences.
b. Under the Advanced tab, under the General "sub-tab", select the local folder where you have copied the music from your iPod (by clicking Change...)
c. Check the box "Kepp iTunes Music folder organized" and click OK.
d. If you haven't done so already, add all the recently copied music to you iTunes library.
e. The process might take a few minutes, and might require you to close and re-open iTunes to even get it started, but when it's done, you'll have a nicely sorted folder structure.
While these slightly inconvenient methods work, there are plenty of software apps that make the process of browsing and copying files much easier.

LINKY
Flames09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 AM   #20
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also use Sharepod to get your music from your ipod back to your PC. and it's free.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote