Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #201
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Just makes more sense, let the city deal with the west village clean up
they never will...we love the environment, unless it costs somebody money
Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 PM   #202
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can assure you guys a new stadium pumps far more money into the economy than the public library.

I am spending much of my entertainment dollar in Edmonton these days and its not by choice
Old 03-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #203
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain why the idea of Flames' ownership dipping into their personal wealth to build this thing is so unreasonable? Don't average income earners use their personal wealth all the time to try to better their businesses? Why/how is this different?
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #204
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I like and respect Gary Bettman a fair bit, and I know its within his purview to get the best facilities for NHL teams and gladhand a little bit, but this seems like hes laying it on a little thick.

I have to say, in my experience if your own plans dont work out (CalgaryNEXT) you call in someone from an pay-grade above yours to try and smooth it out.

I hope Nenshi is polite but firm. Say 'No' to CalgaryNEXT. It was a half-cocked scheme at best.

And I'm surprised and shocked that King would think anything otherwise.

However, if a new arena doesn't happen.. (i.e does not have to be CalgaryNEXT)

In my view the Flames will threaten to move the team.

There is a reason the commissioner is meeting with the Major.

I sure there are pressure tactics.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #205
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Can someone explain why the idea of Flames' ownership dipping into their personal wealth to build this thing is so unreasonable? Don't average income earners use their personal wealth all the time to try to better their businesses? Why/how is this different?
I would think the Flames owner view a professional team is an important element to the City of Calgary.

Many...many Cities build arenas and stadiums with Tax dollars.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #206
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I can assure you guys a new stadium pumps far more money into the economy than the public library.

I am spending much of my entertainment dollar in Edmonton these days and its not by choice
That's nice, but a public library is far more valuable to a society than an arena. And if you think otherwise, you're ridiculously wrong.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:43 PM   #207
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
The difference is, as other have pointed out, that a public library and national music centre are not-for-profit entities. In the case of the public library it is a municipal service similar to police or firefighters. There is a general understanding that when one pays taxes, those tax dollars most go to fund public services.

The Calgary Flames are a for-profit business owned by Calgary Sports and Entertainment. They're trying to make the claim that a new arena would be such a good deal for the city that the city itself should invest in the venture. Essentially, it's a business trying to convince the city to pay some of it's expenses.

What makes arena deals even worse is that, unlike most investment situations, where the person or organization invest gets a cut of the profits, in this situation CSEC would keep 100% of the profits.

While arena deals may have some merit (it's debatable), the new arena isn't like a library. Rather a new arena would be like if I decide I want to open up a coffee shop. Except, instead of simply spending the money to purchase a location and put in the infrastructure required for said coffee shop, I went to all the businesses around my potential location and told them my shop will be so successful and popular that their businesses will thrive as a result, insisting they give me money to open my shop and then, assuming they actually do that, keeping all the profits from my shop instead of sharing with my investors.
I agree that the 2 are diffenent as far as one being a business and the other being a non for profit municipal service. But I also think they are different as far as the economic benefit to city goes as well.

Look at plan B for and example, Victoria Park. I don't think is much current tax revenue coming in from the empty lots in the area. The city invests $200 mill up front to help fund the construction and as a kick start to help start development of the area, really no different than what we did for East Village. Once the Area is done you have a draw for further development (apartments, restaurants, bars, hotels, etc.) and a new tax source for the city. I will go back to my Garth Brooks example and his 8 sold out shows in Edmonton, you can't tell me that didn't benefit the Edmonton economy in some way.

The library on the other hand (sorry for picking on the Library but its just a example of a current project that is costing taxpayers about the same about of money) will not have any economic benefit.

Anyway, I am not here to lobby for my money to go to Murray Edwards. I just think it is important for the city to update it sports facilities.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #208
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
That's nice, but a public library is far more valuable to a society than an arena. And if you think otherwise, you're ridiculously wrong.
With the onset of digital media and the internet I think the "value to society" of a $250 mil Public Library is debatable. It also will not hold anymore books than the existing public library downtown, it will just have more computer terminals and play spaces for kids/teens.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #209
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
However, if a new arena doesn't happen.. (i.e does not have to be CalgaryNEXT)

In my view the Flames will threaten to move the team.

There is a reason the commissioner is meeting with the Major.

I sure there are pressure tactics.
Have fun with that. Cya! I could always take up Vegas.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:59 PM   #210
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be a split between taxpayers and the owners

If all the owners cared about was making money they there are far better investments out there than a hockey team and they know it. Flames leaving town would certainly hurt the City more than it would the owners
Old 03-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #211
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
With the onset of digital media and the internet I think the "value to society" of a $250 mil Public Library is debatable. It also will not hold anymore books than the existing public library downtown, it will just have more computer terminals and play spaces for kids/teens.
no kidding, guessing he hasn't even been there...pfft its an internet cafe with books

anyway...I am not saying no library, a City like Calgary should be able to have both
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #212
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is having a medium(computers) that the youth will actually use to bring them into a library a bad thing?

You know, libraries aren't just book warehouses, and not everything is about dollars and cents
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 07:08 PM   #213
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd love to hear that threat. build us a new arena so we can make even more money or were going to move the team to a market where were likely to lose millions of dollars a year.
Meanwhile, in the background you see the owners of the Coyotes rubbing their hands together and quietly proclaiming "Excellent".
Old 03-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #214
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks for the observation. I was always under the assumption that public libraries were huge cash cows. Frankly, now that I think about it...a new stadium pumps more money into the economy than an elementary school.

Clearly we should be focusing our public funds on Garth Brooks banners, not literacy, education and other areas that bring no financial benefit to our economy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #215
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What we really need is a hilarious sponsor to help pay for the arena:

"Good Evening hockey fans, and welcome to tonight's match up between the Boston Bruins and the Calgary Flames. Tonight's game will be a hard one, and we are coming to you live from the Brazzers Arena in Calgary"

COME ON PEOPLE.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #216
Karl Racki
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
no kidding, guessing he hasn't even been there...pfft its an internet cafe with books
Not true!!! If I read correctly a few posts above, its an essential service, like a police service or firefighters!!
Old 03-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #217
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is some arguement that a McMahon replacement is similar to the public library case as there is no viable way for the stamps revenue streams to pay for it so the CFL is essentially a subsidized cultural institution.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #218
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Racki View Post
Not true!!! If I read correctly a few posts above, its an essential service, like a police service or firefighters!!
I really shouldn't have brought up the library, this should be a discussion on the new arena. But to call library's a "essential service" like the police or fire fighers" is laughable. Anyway, I am not suggesting the city close library's or stop funding them I am just suggesting a new $250 million dollar library, 2 blocks away from the existing one, and a block away from another one at Bow Valley College might be a worse use of taxpayer money than funding redevelopment of Victoria Park and a new sports/entertainment arena.

Last edited by TheKurgan; 03-15-2017 at 09:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheKurgan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #219
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
I really shouldn't have brought up the library, this should be a discussion on the new arena. But to call library's a "essential service" like the police or fire fighers" is laughable. Anyway, I am not suggesting the city close library's or stop funding them I am just suggesting a new $250 million dollar library, 2 blocks away from the existing one, and a block away from another one at Bow Valley College might not be a worse use of taxpayer money than funding redevelopment of Victoria Park and a new sports/entertainment arena.
If the CoC were to invest ~$200MM into sports, it should go into local arenas or pools or fields at $10MM/. Not to a professional team that makes tens of millions of profit per year. Taxpayer dollars fund public facilities. Private dollars should fund venues that paying customers attend for pure entertainment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 PM   #220
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
so you want the city to build and run the rink? Pay $500mil to build it and then hope we make enough money selling popcorn and beer to cover the operating costs? I think that is a much worse deal for the city.
this post is hilarious.
Closed Thread