Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-31-2015, 03:41 PM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default cleaning cpu, keyboard, monitor

We had a basement flood and resulted in me packing up my home office computer into the garage for much of summer and fall. Ive set the computer back up again but it is covered with a fine dust that i need to get cleaned up. Compressed air wont be sufficient but dont know if i should use rubbing alcohol or other product. I suspect i should take the case off as well to make sure it didnt get in there, but if it did, some suggestions will help

Suggestions?

please and thank you
Old 12-31-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought of mineral oil as they use them for cooling systems sometimes, but I guess it's hard to clean off. This may help you here
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/cleaners/
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Just grab some Clorox wipes for everything on the surface (except the monitor). For the monitor, you can get some cheap monitor screen wipes.

For inside the computer, don't worry about it, just use compressed air or an air compressor and blow out the dust.

I use this on everything from computer, car, audio, pets, and even inflated a boat once.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37982
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

When compressed air isn't enough (rare) I buy cheap paint brushes with soft bristles and use it to lightly brush off the particulates.

I've heard rubbing alcohol damages components but I've used it in the past (by accident) without messing anything up. You could try, but it's definitely not recommended.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've washed several keyboards in the sink before. You can get them totally wet, give them a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush if necessary, but need to dry them thoroughly. I'll leave mine over a vent for a few days and give them a few rotations/shakes out.

For the case, open it up and blast with compressed air. If you choose to vacuum, be aware this can create static and could fry components. I've never had an issue though. Just careful where you stick it. If you blow air at fans, DO NOT spin them fast. This can easily damage bearings by spinning much faster than they were designed. So hold the fan blade and give it a good spray of air.

For the monitor a damp cloth usually does the trick, wipe it dry with a glasses cloth. Though you can get special sprays/wipes.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 04:10 AM   #6
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #7
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I've heard rubbing alcohol damages components but I've used it in the past (by accident) without messing anything up. You could try, but it's definitely not recommended.
Pure isopropyl is a pretty decent cleaner for electrical contacts as it dissolves residue and evaporates quickly.

The problem with rubbing alcohol is that it isn't pure isopropyl, it has water mixed in which can cause problems for electronics and cause corrosion.

If you have to use rubbing alcohol try and get the highest percentage isopropyl you can. I believe standard is 70% but you can buy 91%.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've washed several keyboards in the sink before. You can get them totally wet, give them a bit of a scrub with a toothbrush if necessary, but need to dry them thoroughly. I'll leave mine over a vent for a few days and give them a few rotations/shakes out.
I don't recommend this as the average keyboard is made of keys on top of rubber domes that press into conductive carbon pads on two mylar sheets. Once liquid gets between the two sheets, it is sometimes impossible for it to dry/evaporate out and then you have to disassemble and peel the sheets apart or half your keys won't work or will short with each other.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, in theory I guess that could be an issue, but I've never had a problem. I've done a couple laptop keyboards and about 10 desktop ones. The laptop one had an issue when I didn't let it dry long enough, but I just removed it, dried it further and it was fine. Good ol' dry Calgary air probably makes it work better here... Maybe don't try it on your $100 keyboard, but for the $10-$30 ones I think it's worth the small risk.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:45 PM   #10
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

I use this on everything from computer, car, audio, pets, and even inflated a boat once.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX37982
Well that saves me from some experimenting. I just got one for Christmas and when I switched it on, thought "Hey....betcha this could inflate a boat in a pinch"
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Well that saves me from some experimenting. I just got one for Christmas and when I switched it on, thought "Hey....betcha this could inflate a boat in a pinch"
Also air mattresses!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Well, in theory I guess that could be an issue, but I've never had a problem. I've done a couple laptop keyboards and about 10 desktop ones. The laptop one had an issue when I didn't let it dry long enough, but I just removed it, dried it further and it was fine. Good ol' dry Calgary air probably makes it work better here... Maybe don't try it on your $100 keyboard, but for the $10-$30 ones I think it's worth the small risk.
Open up the keyboard, take the electronic guts out of it, and drop the whole thing in the bath tub with some soap and water. If it is really bad, pop off the keys and use an old toothbrush to scrub it clean.

Let it dry and re-assemble.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #13
Aegypticus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One tip for everyone is to use care when using compressed air or a blower on computer or computer-style fans. You want to hold then from spinning when blowing air on the fins. Reason being is the air can actually potentially spin them much faster than they'd run during normal operation and damage the bearings.
Aegypticus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aegypticus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegypticus View Post
One tip for everyone is to use care when using compressed air or a blower on computer or computer-style fans. You want to hold then from spinning when blowing air on the fins. Reason being is the air can actually potentially spin them much faster than they'd run during normal operation and damage the bearings.
Yeah I stick a pencil or chopstick in fans before I blow them out.