Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2015, 03:33 AM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Adding internet to my living room

I currently stream to my TV using WiFi but am thinking about hard wiring the internet to that room. The coax enters the house into the basement right below the living room. From there it runs up to a second floor room which we use as an office. If I want internet in the living room am I able to run a splitter where the coax comes in the house and then add another modem in the living room or do I have to run an Ethernet cable from the second floor modem down to the first floor? Or is there another way to do it?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know a guy setting up his own business to help set up home networking, if that is something you're interested in. PM me and I'll get you some contact info.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #3
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried a powerline adapter?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...4eae269e21en02
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

+1 for power line adapters. Simple and easy with almost no drop outs. Just make sure to read reviews and buy a good brand.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 07:39 AM   #5
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yup, Ethernet from the modem to the living room. Alternatively, if running a cable from the basement is easier, you could move the modem to the basement, run Ethernet from it to the living room and second floor office. This will affect your wireless coverage - though it could be better depending on your usage/house layout.

Splitting at the coax won't work as your service provider generally will only connect with one modem.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Have you tried a powerline adapter?
No, but I think I will. Looks a lot easier than trying to run wires.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
+1 for power line adapters. Simple and easy with almost no drop outs. Just make sure to read reviews and buy a good brand.
Good to hear. My hard wired cable to the living room died. Might look into this as a replacement.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

you just solved my problem, thanks.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:49 PM   #9
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Yah, powerline adapters are the way to go, I had an old Linksys set that worked great, but I recently needed another connection so I upgraded to these: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58447. Fantastic units, plug them in, press the button, never touch them again. And one of them is on a power bar, which I've heard can cause issues, but after 3 months I've never had any problems.

Not only is it considerably faster than wireless, but if you live (like I do) where there are lots of wireless networks in range, interference is an issue and you very rarely get full wireless speed anyway.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Powerline adapters solved my issue when I needed to get internet into my bedroom when my old PC didn't have a wireless card. Life saver.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:15 AM   #11
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I picked this up a couple months ago: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58447

Worth every penny, and stupid easy to set up. Allows you to try different locations for your router until you find the optimal spot to broadcast wireless. I can stream 30+GB BluRay remuxes without a hiccup now.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #12
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Amazing, never heard of these before. Will be looking to pick some up.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 PM   #13
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a word of caution for anyone trying to put the internet into a single room in the house. Check the floor joists and make sure your main support beam and teleposts are up to code. You might even want to have a structural engineer take a look before you try and put the whole internet into one room of the house.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueski For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have heard some good reviews for the Moca 2.0 coax to ethernet adapters.

They are a bit costly for a pair, but if you are only doing one room it would be okay. I was seriously considering it, but I have a bunch of devices I want hard-wired so it became too costly, especially compared to running ethernet cable.

http://www.actiontec.com/338.html
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #15
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using a power line adapter right now. It isn't quite as fast as if you're hooked right into the modem itself, but it's the next best thing. Anywhere you have an outlet, you have a connection.

It's great.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #16
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Using a power line adapter right now. It isn't quite as fast as if you're hooked right into the modem itself, but it's the next best thing. Anywhere you have an outlet, you have a connection.
Speed is the Achilles Heel of Power line adapter. It's not as fast as good wifi connection but for browsing internet and such, they are usually OK.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:09 AM   #17
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does a powerline adapter connect to WiFi, then you plug your device into the adapter using ethernet?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Does a powerline adapter connect to WiFi, then you plug your device into the adapter using ethernet?
No, Adapter 1 is plugged into a socket and connected via Ethernet to your router.

Then Adapter 2 can be plugged into a socket somewhere else and its Ethernet port used for another computer/laptop/etc.

There's also ones where Adapter 2 is used as a WiFi extender; that's what Mick's post is about.

Last edited by Looch City; 11-20-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:50 AM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I actually suggested these to my friend long ago.

To explain, it doesn't use Wifi. It's actually just transferring data via your home's electrical lines.

Using two adapters and two Ethernet cables the following occurs:

Input
Modem -> Adapter -> Electrical Socket

Output
Electrical Socket -> Adapter -> Computer

The result is similar to if you had plugged the computer directly into the Modem with a super long ethernet cable in between (without the cable in between). It is also advised you don't plug it into a power bar, but directly into a wall socket.

You can do multiple "outputs" too as the adapters need to sync with one another. I have heard people say you can sync different brand adapters together, but I have not confirmed whether this works myself. I have not been highly impressed by the wifi extender, but it does work. (Thing keeps overheating then crashing and giving me the normal crap connection. Unplugging for 30 seconds usually resolves it though, I haven't seen firmware updates to resolve this, but I only reset once every two weeks or so, so it's not a problem).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #20
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is mindblowing. I didn't know data could travel through normal electrical sockets/wire. But I suppose data is simply electrical signals at the end of the day.

I just spent two or three evenings climbing around my attic (and if anyone's done that you know it's suffering) a month ago trying to fish ethernet down a wall into my nook/den area that didn't have an ethernet jack for my gaming rig. I'm glad I did it, but yeah.

What are the speeds accociated with these power adapters?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote