Franchise Player

Exp:

Check Tvfool.com

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 04:14 PM   #842
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is it still possible to get HBO Go in Canada without a cable subscription or have they started region blocking like Netflix? I use private internet access so it'd be easy enough to connect from a U.S. IP but don't want to pay for it if it doesn't work.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #843
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
I've been using an antenna for a few years now, but a recent move to Thorncliffe has me only picking up 2 channels. I'm not sure if my antenna got damaged in the move, if Nose Hill is blocking the signal, or something else all together is causing the problem. Does anyone else get all the OTA signals in this neck of the woods?
My parents get three channels in Thornhill. I think CTV, CBC and Omni.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeep991 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #844
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
So is it still possible to get HBO Go in Canada without a cable subscription or have they started region blocking like Netflix?
Don't know about the region blocking, but HBO Go won't come to Canada due to Bell's stake in HBO Canada. You can get HBO shows on TMN Go, which is tied to The Movie Network, which is tied to your cable subscription. None of this has changed within the last few years to my knowledge.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #845
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
My parents get three channels in Thornhill. I think CTV, CBC and Omni.
Darn. I miss me some Global Morning News...
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #846
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been meaning to try out an antenna for a long time, finally impulse bought a cheap one on Prime Day.

I live on Signal Hill and I'm within 5 miles of the broadcast towers for the 6 main channels. I thought just about any indoor antenna would be fine, but the one I got receives only the first three of these:

I tried multiple locations, including outdoors, and saw no effect.

Am I missing something or is this just an awful antenna?

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 07-14-2017 at 08:24 PM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #847
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ the next 3 should definitely come in good (based on NM) but they aren't line of sight. I expect that's the problem, but don't know what the solution is.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 07-14-2017 at 10:38 PM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 08:35 AM   #848
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

I dont trust the store bought antennas. Google making your own, there are a ton of guides. I paid $5 in parts and used a couple of wire hangers.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #849
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I dont trust the store bought antennas. Google making your own, there are a ton of guides. I paid $5 in parts and used a couple of wire hangers.

Just out of curiosity, which design did you pick? I would like to go with something that somebody around here has had success with.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #850
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #851
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
I live on Signal Hill and I'm within 5 miles of the broadcast towers for the 6 main channels. I thought just about any indoor antenna would be fine, but the one I got receives only the first three of these:
Looking at those TVFool results, it sounds like there is some serious terrain between you and the antenna. I had bought this one previously:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10319740.aspx?

I tested it in the basement of my house 25km from the antenna, and it worked great. Bought it for the trailer and when I was setting it up the campground owner told me I was wasting my time, there was no way I'd get a signal. I was able to get a couple of channels out there. I did end up returning the antenna as the signals were too choppy. However for your use it may do the trick. Worst case is you can also return it if need be.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 PM   #852
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Been meaning to try out an antenna for a long time, finally impulse bought a cheap one on Prime Day.

I tried multiple locations, including outdoors, and saw no effect.

Am I missing something or is this just an awful antenna?
I saw those on sale, or at least something that looked almost identical, so I picked it up. For about the past 5 years I have been using one exactly like the youtube video posted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
I wondered if the "real" one would be any better than the one I made, and I have a second TV so I wanted a second antenna anyways.

The result - they are pretty much identical but the one I made may be a weee bit better. I can always get CTV, CITY, CBC, Omni. I can usually get YES. Global is sometimes fine, other times cuts in and out, although if I turn the antenna a bit I can get Global fine and the other stations are a bit spotty. That was one of my motivations for trying a purchased antenna - to see if it would get all of them with no issues. No such luck.

BTW, I am in the city's NE, Taradale, and according to TVFool I have LOS to all 6 primary channels. Still not sure why Global is so temperamental.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:23 PM   #853
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might deserve its own thread but couldn't figure out which forum to put it in. Anyways DAZN, the "Netflix of sports" is debuting in Canada this year and has secured the rights to the NFL. The introductory cost is $20/month or $150/year. Not sure what will happen with other leagues but this could be a game-changer if they can secure more rights, especially PL and CL.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/20/da...nfl-game-pass/
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 06:46 PM   #854
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very interested in this.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #855
MonsieurFish
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I cancelled my Shaw TV services a couple months ago following the completion of the NHL and Premier League/Champions League seasons, as those are pretty much all I really cable for, with the hopes that Shaw would offer me a TV package I couldn't turn down in return. That hasn't happened as of yet, and Premier league kicks off pretty quick here, so I am debating whether or not I need to renew my TV services with shaw, or whether or not I can meet my needs through subscription services of some sort.

I am fairly new to the 'cutting the cord' movement, but I am thinking something along the lines of ordering sportsnet world to watch soccer, plus ordering NHL gamecenter to watch the flames games (I live in Calgary so I imagine most games will be blocked out... I imagine this can be resolved through some sort of VPN proxy, likely addressed earlier in this thread). My issue however is that I often am not available to watch flames games live, and usually am either watching an hour or two delayed (I set up my PVR to record them usually), or an hour or two after the game is over. Unless I'm mistaken, NHL gamecenter would not allow me to watch games delayed, and I would have to wait until the following day? Is there another service/mechanism out there that would allow me to watch Flames games on the same day, but not necessarily live? Any advice would be much appreciated.
MonsieurFish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MonsieurFish For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 06:43 AM   #856
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unfortunately afaik there is nothing that allows you to watch a game that quickly (except PVR).
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 09:20 AM   #857
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So is it still possible to get HBO Go in Canada without a cable subscription or have they started region blocking like Netflix? I use private internet access so it'd be easy enough to connect from a U.S. IP but don't want to pay for it if it doesn't work.
Sorry to reply late, but I have been using HBO Now on Apple TV for the last 3.5 years. No issues at all with region blocking. Had it work with both Unblock Us and a vpn. I just set up a US iTunes account and then buy gift cards on eBay to purchase the programming. Have been doing this for both HBO and Hulu. During hockey season, I just subscribe to the Sportsnet app and get my Flames games from there.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #858
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
This might deserve its own thread but couldn't figure out which forum to put it in. Anyways DAZN, the "Netflix of sports" is debuting in Canada this year and has secured the rights to the NFL. The introductory cost is $20/month or $150/year. Not sure what will happen with other leagues but this could be a game-changer if they can secure more rights, especially PL and CL.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/20/da...nfl-game-pass/
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...638548973.html

So there are some nice channels available on DAZN, but the big ones like the NHL and EPL are not there. I guess those won't happen because of the Rogers and TSN monopoly...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #859
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...638548973.html

So there are some nice channels available on DAZN, but the big ones like the NHL and EPL are not there. I guess those won't happen because of the Rogers and TSN monopoly...
Yeah we'll see what happens when those rights come up for renewal. They did a good job of securing beIN's CL rights at least. I'm sort of wondering if Rogers throws them a bone with NHL games to try and recoup some of their losses from that ridiculous contract.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #860
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

if I could order just the sportnet package from telus I'd cancel cable ASAP.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote