Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 PM   #1
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:
Default Wearable Heart Rate Monitor

Anyone have a Fitbit HR, or any other HR monitor you strictly wear on your wrist?

Looking at getting one that doesn't need the strap to track my HR, calories burnt, steps, etc...and wondering what the best one is. The reviews I've read suggest the HR monitor part of most devices isn't very accurate.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Might be a bit more than what you are asking for... But for the money my Suunto Ambit GPS running watch does all of that and more. Most of my friends who have asked for something like this start with the Fitbit but immediately want to switch to something better with more capabilities. Save yourself the initial cash and get the Suunto that does it all
Old 01-02-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I have the Garmin Forerunner 310XT that I'm actually trying to sell because it is way to bulky for me. I don't bike much anymore, and it has a HR strap which I find extremely annoying.

I want something that I can use in the gym just to measure HR and calories burnt.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Suunto is what I use in the gym as well. And it's no where near as bulky as my old Garmin
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just returned a Fitbit Surge. I liked the heart rate monitoring and liked a lot of the functionality. I found the sleep monitoring a little wonky (not all that accurate) and there were a few reasons I returned it. First of all it was kind of bulky, but I also like wearing an actual watch. So while the point of the Surge is to wear it basically 24/7, and that's sensible, I just like wearing an actual watch. Frankly the Surge being bulky is a piece of this, but it just doesn't look as nice as a watch.

The main reason I got frustrated though is that the battery life was not what I expected for $300. It started off well, but lately I was getting like 2 days from a full charge. Some people don't mind I guess, but I hated that. I used it for just under 60 days.

Anyway, its pretty slick and does everything that you want, if you can get around the other issues that I had at least.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jawbone up 3? It's quite a bit smaller but a bit pricey too IIRC

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered it doesn't have a display so the heart rate information would have to be sync'd to a phone anyways.

Last edited by DoubleF; 01-04-2016 at 08:50 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #7
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsieve View Post
Suunto is what I use in the gym as well. And it's no where near as bulky as my old Garmin
It does look pretty interesting. I'll have to do some more research.

Thanks for the tip though. It didn't come up in any of the searches I did for 'best HR monitors.'
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #8
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a fitbit HR. I have no idea how accurate it is, but I love it.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I Wear a Fitbit Charge HR 24/7. Heart rate and calories burned are very comparable to results on my Garmin forerunner 310xt with chest strap during activities. I like the sleep monitor and silent alarm as well. I wear it on my right so I can still have a normal watch on the left .
Brendone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

My wife has a fitbit charge HR and loves it. While the sleep tracking is fine, the silent alarm is the big feature. Sleep tracking is always going to be a bit wonky when you can only track restlessness.

My guess is that it isn't 100% accurate down to the single step or heartbeat, but likely nothing is when you have to be unobtrusive to the wearer. It's a really good glance at your day to see if you're doing what you need to be doing, and for most people that's enough.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't have any experience myself, but here is a lengthy review of the latest fitness trackers.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-fitness-tracker/
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post: