Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #21
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know if age of your electrical system affects speed? I have tried power line adapters in past (3 years ago), and they were very slow (maybe 6mb/s down and 1.5 up). So I returned them to the store.

Albeit I have a 1982 house with a cluster###### electrical system, and a power box that is fairly old. Maybe that has something to do with the reduced speed, or maybe the new adapters are more resilient at dealing with these older setups? Anyone here do this with an older home?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What are the speeds accociated with these power adapters?
I've seen advertising rates between 500 Mbps to 2000 Mbps. Some even have encryption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Does anyone know if age of your electrical system affects speed? I have tried power line adapters in past (3 years ago), and they were very slow (maybe 6mb/s down and 1.5 up). So I returned them to the store.

Albeit I have a 1982 house with a cluster###### electrical system, and a power box that is fairly old. Maybe that has something to do with the reduced speed, or maybe the new adapters are more resilient at dealing with these older setups? Anyone here do this with an older home?
I've heard older lines does affect speed, but I've seen individuals make reviews with older homes than yours who had no issues. Perhaps just an issue with older technology? Bad firmware? No idea.

I use it at my Condo which was originally built in 1970 with no problems. The fuse box there makes me guess it's all original wiring, though I guess it's possible the wiring was replaced in the early 2000s when it was originally converted to condos from the original building use.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clear answer for you. If you want to determine if your wiring is the cause or if the older tech just didn't perform up to your expectations, perhaps you'd have to just spend the time to buy the newer powerline sets and test it out. (return units if speeds are no good for your needs?)
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #23
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Speed is the Achilles Heel of Power line adapter. It's not as fast as good wifi connection but for browsing internet and such, they are usually OK.
There are many factors that go into powerline adapter speed, but as a blanket statement I'd say this isn't accurate.

I have 35-year old power wiring which is sub-optimal for this, and I still get sustained throughputs of 150+Mb/s from MacBook WiFi->Airport Extreme->D-Link DHP-701AV (Powerline Adapter)->Modem/Hub->Media Server. That's about 2-3x faster than typical "real-world" speeds on straight 802.11n WiFi networks.

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 11-20-2015 at 11:49 AM.
MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #24
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post

Older wiring definitely affects speeds, but the powerline ethernet technology has advanced a LOT since 3 years ago.

Check out the D-Link DHP-701AV kit (at memory express). It advertises at 2000Mbps which of course you'll never get in real-world speed, but I've got 35-year old wiring and it's much faster than I was able to get over just WiFi (150+Mb/s)

Last edited by MickMcGeough; 11-20-2015 at 11:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neat stuff,

My internet currently comes in through by basement so I fight with wireless signals to get good speed.

Can I run Modem to powerline adapter in the basement then powerline to move the existing wireless router to move it up to the second floor?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #26
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Neat stuff,

My internet currently comes in through by basement so I fight with wireless signals to get good speed.

Can I run Modem to powerline adapter in the basement then powerline to move the existing wireless router to move it up to the second floor?

Yes - that's exactly how my network is set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 11-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #27
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Neat stuff,

Isn't that idea similar to using a hard wire and a router as a bridge to have more range in wifi? I've heard of people using this method, but haven't tried myself unfortunately as I have had no need to. You can do this with multiple routers and if you set the SSID and password to the same thing on each router your wifi using device theoretically will hop on the one with the highest signal strength as you wander area to area.

The powerline adapters may be quite a viable option for places with high wireless interference. For instance, sometimes my wifi gets all wonky and slow when streaming even though it's less than 10 feet away with no walls in between. I presumed that the fact I have something like 30-40 wifis being picked up in my vicinity could have an effect on this. I have never had lag with the power line because I assumed it wasn't as badly affected by other wireless interference.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #28
MotoRacer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Using the Walmart ones for over year. Flawless.
MotoRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #29
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone set these up through a router? I'd like to go Modem -> Airport Extreme -> Powerline adapter.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:56 PM   #30
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Has anyone set these up through a router? I'd like to go Modem -> Airport Extreme -> Powerline adapter.
I think most people do it that way.

I have mine modem > router > powerline adapter > ps4
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #31
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

+1 for powerline. I've got some of the older (4 years now) 100Mbps ones and I can pull around 50Mbps if its on the same breaker, or ~10Mbps if on the other side of the house.
Your house's wiring will have big say on performance, but even on the low end its fine for HD streaming.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #32
Buzzcock
Draft Pick

So if I'm running powerline internet can my neighour plug one of these into an outlet in his has and access my connection? I'm just wondering about the security of these things.
Buzzcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #33
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcock View Post
So if I'm running powerline internet can my neighour plug one of these into an outlet in his has and access my connection? I'm just wondering about the security of these things.
No you have to pair them together, so unless he breaks in to do it you're good.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #34
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
No you have to pair them together, so unless he breaks in to do it you're good.
Or plugs one into an outside outlet
Old 11-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #35
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Or plugs one into an outside outlet
No you physically have to press a button on both units.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #36
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
No you physically have to press a button on both units.
I should have used green text.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 PM   #37
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random question for an existing PowerLine user. I've got it going from upstairs to the basement, current have 50 Mb/s and direct wiring to the router reflects that.

However once I've got my PowerLine end in the basement connected to an extra router I have, both the wifi and the ethernet from the 2nd router to my console report about 25ish Mb/s at max. Anybody else experience similar things or have any general troubleshooting with ensuring I reach as close to the advertised speed throughout the house. Both from the supplied router from Telus and elsewhere.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #38
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Random question for an existing PowerLine user. I've got it going from upstairs to the basement, current have 50 Mb/s and direct wiring to the router reflects that.

However once I've got my PowerLine end in the basement connected to an extra router I have, both the wifi and the ethernet from the 2nd router to my console report about 25ish Mb/s at max. Anybody else experience similar things or have any general troubleshooting with ensuring I reach as close to the advertised speed throughout the house. Both from the supplied router from Telus and elsewhere.
So do you mean your entire network drops to 25 ish? or just the basement is 25 ish? How old is the cabling in your home? I believe when I tested it at my parent's place it dropped down to around 80% of the speed of being directly plugged into the modem/router in a home built in the 90s, but 50% does seem slow.

Have you tried firmware updates or pairing it on the same outlet?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:59 AM   #39
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
That is mindblowing. I didn't know data could travel through normal electrical sockets/wire. But I suppose data is simply electrical signals at the end of the day.

I just spent two or three evenings climbing around my attic (and if anyone's done that you know it's suffering) a month ago trying to fish ethernet down a wall into my nook/den area that didn't have an ethernet jack for my gaming rig. I'm glad I did it, but yeah.

What are the speeds accociated with these power adapters?
For me, its about 80-90% of the wired connection most of the time.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca

Last edited by Caged Great; 11-23-2015 at 05:02 AM.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #40
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I stopped at Best Buy on the way home from work today and picked up the D-Link AV500. Set up was easy and my Roku detected and connected to the Ethernet connection without any issues. After running multiple speedtests with WiFi and Ethernet (powerline adapter) using 4 different servers, the WiFi was consistently faster. Using the speed test channel on the Roku, I averaged 22.5 mb/s with WiFi and only 17.8 mb/s with the Ethernet. So I will be bringing it back and sticking with the WiFi.

FWIW, running the speed test on my PC I am getting around 110 mb/s.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shane_c For This Useful Post: