Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #661
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

MS's long term vision isn't gaming, it's to "own the living room" and be a full living room entertainment experience. They're setting in motion the groundwork to tap into new revenue streams. It looks to me like they want to be the iTunes of your living room. They probably see big money in big pool of users, where each average user spends less, but the pool of users is huge.

My prediction (if MS stays its course) for this upcoming generation is that Sony will own the hardcore gaming audience, but MS will continue to cater to the casual user for higher revenue streams.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #662
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Apple hardware costs more and has a massive group of haters but none of it can put a dent in their dominance. If the casuals believe it's the system to get people will get it.
Dominance in what?

Apple phones are sold at the same price point as most smartphones and have lost massive ground to Android in the last 3 years.

Windows based PCs run 78% of the marketplace, Apples are still only a paltry 3.7%, with 18 PCs sold for every 1 Mac.

They do sell more tablets than everyone else, with a 58% market share in 2012.

A console isn't a status item like an iPad or a Macbook Pro, and the cheapest console typically sells the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #663
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
So we're now at the level of "apologists"?! Come on man, go outside for an hour or two. I get MS ####ing up their PR, but to take it so seriously is a bit much.
I don't quite understand your comment. I thought chemgear likely hit the nail on the head. This is a business decision that they feel is going to piss off a very vocal minority. Cutting down on piracy will result in a loss for them, but it could also result in many more wins.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #664
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those still looking, Xbone pre-orders are still available at all four major online stores - all are Day One Editions. (Bestbuy is probably the best with their reward points?)

http://www.ebgames.ca/xbox-one/conso...lers_row2_col1

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00C...pf_rd_i=915398

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...9aa7852f41en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...88c0ab7c23en02

EDIT: Today is also the last day for the HUGE E3 sale at Futureshop and Bestbuy. Basically saving $20 on each of the $60 games - people should be ordering stuff for the next year today!

Last edited by chemgear; 06-13-2013 at 09:56 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #665
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
MS's long term vision isn't gaming, it's to "own the living room" and be a full living room entertainment experience. They're setting in motion the groundwork to tap into new revenue streams. It looks to me like they want to be the iTunes of your living room. They probably see big money in big pool of users, where each average user spends less, but the pool of users is huge.

My prediction (if MS stays its course) for this upcoming generation is that Sony will own the hardcore gaming audience, but MS will continue to cater to the casual user for higher revenue streams.
I think a lot of gamers don't realize that the gaming industry has not done well at all over the past few years. Lots of studios have closed their doors and l can't fault Microsoft for trying to expand outside of the hardcore market which has been on the downturn. Will Sony really be a winner if the market they hold is shrinking not growing? Time will tell but you can't discount that there isn't nearly the amount of games getting released as there was at the start of the current console generation while smart device market increases as they are cheaper to develope and profit from.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 06-13-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #666
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think a lot of gamers don't realize that the gaming industry has not done well at all over the past few years. Lots of studios have closed their doors and l can't fault Microsoft for trying to expand outside of the hardcore market which has been on the downturn. Will Sony really be a winner if the market they hold is shrinking not growing? Time will tell but you can't discount that there isn't nearly the amount of games getting released as there was at the start of the current console generation while smart device market increases as they are cheaper to develope and profit from.
Exactly.

Microsoft is evolving and taking the Apple route. They are making the Xbox One into a media center/server that is not only a gaming console, but rather an all-in-one media solution. Just look over the next 7 years, Microsoft coders and engineers will add so much more for the Xbox One than Sony will add for the PlayStation 4. That is how it happened with the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Yes, you pay more upfront for the Xbox One, but you pay in order to evolve with the market. Yes, you can pay $100 less for a PS4, but you will be coughing up money in the future when evolution in technology has passed you by. Then you will be spending money on PS4 accessories.

It's a decision for everyone to make on their own. What are your needs? Personally, I will use the Xbox One as my entertainment center and for my major gaming needs. I love the Xbox Live experience, and I simply hate the PlayStation controller.

Price-wise? I am blessed to have the luxury of not being affected by either console's price. I will be most likely getting both the Xbox One and the PS4. My primary machine will be Xbox as Microsoft delivers a much more complete experience. Also the games on Xbox 360 look much better than games on PS3 even though it has more power. This is my experience, especially with EA Sports games. I have both consoles since the beginning, and have always preferred the Microsoft entertainment experience, although the Blu-Ray capability was great with the PS3.

All in all, its up to you....I am getting both of them to have a complete experience.

I would rather not argue over DRM and always connected internet. I never sell my used games regardless and always have my Xbox 360 connected to the internet. I find it amusing that there are a lot of people that can't stand change and evolution. Gone are the days where you sit with your friends on a Nintendo 64 and play Mario Kart offline, and trade Mario Kart in for Mario Party.

Look at how successful Steam has been on the PC in implementing DRM and no one complained there. Steam has been implementing DRM on the PC since the early 2000s, and where is the uproar now? I think it is a well managed system. Also, why should you be able to play a single player game and then lend it to your friend who can also play a single player game pretty much for free unless he buys the used game from you?

You are profiting from the hardwork of multiple studios, and taking money out of their pockets by doing that. If your friend enjoyed playing a game at your house, then he should go buy that game himself. That is the way the system is supposed to work. Give money to where it belongs. Used games are not much better than pirating, and stealing money from developers. It's no wonder many developing studios are shutting down. People need to stop complaining that now there is enough technology to regulate copyrights and licensing...that there should continue to be no enforcement.

I am all for DRM management and always on internet connection as I follow these principles already.

Recent Example:

Forza Horizon....guy at EB Games had a used one for $50 and a new one for $60. It was in a rare case the EXACT same game whether I had picked one or the other. He was pushing the used game down my throat. Fact is that if I bought the new one, the money would be helping the studio. If I bought the used one, the money would be going straight to EB Games and helping them.

I picked the new game as I am a proponent for supporting studios so they can continue to create amazing games.

I am in a position where a few hundred bucks don't affect my lifestyle as it is disposable income regardless. People need to stop overreacting and/or being cheap.

If a few hundred bucks really does effect you then maybe you should re-analyze as to whether you can actually afford to spend money on gaming and re-analyze your spending budget priorities and your financial well being.

(Most of this post is not in reply to Erick Estrada so please don't take offense to some things I have said. They are not towards you)
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #667
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

PS4 is the better media centre, because you don't need to pay an extra monthly fee for Netflix.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #668
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's like I'm reading a post from the Microsoft marketing team....
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #669
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So if you're not in one of the Xbox Live supported countries, you won't be able to play ANY games on the Xbox One

For a comparison, the PS4 is completely region unlocked

Do you not live in 1 of the 21 countries?

If you do, then what does it matter to you if Xbox One is not available in some other countries....and how does remaining in the past and not evolving make it a better console? Sony pretty much just updated the graphics and hardware....rest is pretty much the same!! I'm glad you like to wait 7 years for hardware upgrades! #GoSonyFanBoys
Old 06-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #670
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerplunk View Post
It's like I'm reading a post from the Microsoft marketing team....
Do you have wireless internet?

Yes? Stop Complaining.

No? Go get it. It's 2013.

Don't really see what the problem is.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #671
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
PS4 is the better media centre, because you don't need to pay an extra monthly fee for Netflix.
Great. As if I and many other people don't already have Netflix, so they can use their accounts to watch on PC/iPhone/iPad/TV/Xbox....

You get what you pay for. You dont want to pay? You get limited access. Great Point!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #672
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Do you not live in 1 of the 21 countries?

If you do, then what does it matter to you if Xbox One is not available in some other countries....and how does remaining in the past and not evolving make it a better console? Sony pretty much just updated the graphics and hardware....rest is pretty much the same!! I'm glad you like to wait 7 years for hardware upgrades! #GoSonyFanBoys
#GoMicrosoftFanBoy....#hypocrite...#hashtagsarestu pid.

Edit: Oh and for the record I loved my 360 and the only two reasons I am not getting a new Xbox is I don't agree their internet check in out of principle, not because I don't have an active internet connection. Secondly I don't care for all the bells and whistles, I just want to play games. It has nothing to do with being a fan boy, and you are actually coming off as sounding like the fan boy even though you mention you own both systems.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 06-13-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #673
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like I mentioned, I understand why MS is taking their stance (to battle piracy), but I own almost every console since the NES, and I love the fact that I still have all my consoles and games, and can plug them in and play them for nostalgia sake. What bugs me of the authentication is that I potentially won't be able to plug in my Xbox One in 20 years and play my library of games because my digital copy is no longer supported by Microsoft.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #674
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

My Xbox Live Gold membership auto-renewed on June 6th for a year.. dammit.

I'm going to play wait and see, as I'm not overly excited about either system, but I'm more likely to pick up a PS4. That's not a sure thing by any stretch. I greatly preferred the 360 to the PS3 for pretty much everything, and don't mind paying a monthly fee for an online service if its used.

I don't want to go through a hassle reselling my games, though you never really get much for them anyway. The whole 24 hour checkins are just a philosophical issue as far as I'm concerned, as my 360 is always connected to the internet anyway.

What will influence my decision is seeing how many people buy each console. If the PS network has a lot more players to play with (and those I know buy the PS4 instead of the XBox), the decision becomes heavily weighted toward the PS4.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #675
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
But you'll probably pay for PS+ just to play your games online so it kind of ends up as a wash. When I look down the Tech Talk subforum and see 91 posts in a "Cutting the cord" thread I can see potential customers that MS may be targeting. They offer HBO Go and a number of other streaming services. I imagine they'll try and create an Apple TV type system for the console in the future and that could be very appealing to some people.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #676
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Great. As if I and many other people don't already have Netflix, so they can use their accounts to watch on PC/iPhone/iPad/TV/Xbox....

You get what you pay for. You dont want to pay? You get limited access. Great Point!
Honestly, the media "experience" will pretty much be the same for the PS4 and Xbox One. They have similar hardware specs. The $100 you're paying for is basically the price of Kinect. You're right in that you get what you pay for, but Kinect (and Move and the PS Eye) don't appeal to me, so I like the choice of not buying it, which Sony does by not packaging the PS Eye and charging me $100 more.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #677
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
But you'll probably pay for PS+ just to play your games online so it kind of ends up as a wash. When I look down the Tech Talk subforum and see 91 posts in a "Cutting the cord" thread I can see potential customers that MS may be targeting. They offer HBO Go and a number of other streaming services. I imagine they'll try and create an Apple TV type system for the console in the future and that could be very appealing to some people.
If it's successful, why can't ps4?
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #678
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
If it's successful, why can't ps4?
What do you mean? PS+? Of course it'll be successful that's not the issue.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #679
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Honestly, the media "experience" will pretty much be the same for the PS4 and Xbox One. They have similar hardware specs. The $100 you're paying for is basically the price of Kinect. You're right in that you get what you pay for, but Kinect (and Move and the PS Eye) don't appeal to me, so I like the choice of not buying it, which Sony does by not packaging the PS Eye and charging me $100 more.
Initial impressions give the PS4 about a 50% advantage in raw performance - how that translates into gaming performance is still to be seen. The Xbone also has to run 3 OS's at the same time and that eats nearly half of it's memory (at least at this stage).
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #680
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Initial impressions give the PS4 about a 50% advantage in raw performance - how that translates into gaming performance is still to be seen. The Xbone also has to run 3 OS's at the same time and that eats nearly half of it's memory (at least at this stage).
50% where did this come from?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote