Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #101
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

kdogg, sounds like you have something set differently in Avast. Any time I had an issue, Avast simply quarantined it and I could then choose to delete it at any time.

No AV is perfect. That's why I personally always suggest running a layered approach as well as scanning systems with other scanners once every couple of weeks (there are many good online ones as well as apps like Hitman Pro).

Currently I'm running ESET Smart Security (I had bought a couple of licenses a while ago) as well as Malwarebytes Pro. I also scan with Hitman pro once in a while too.

I highly doubt that MSE would have done any different for you. In my tests, Avast outperformed MSE every time.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #102
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
kdogg, sounds like you have something set differently in Avast. Any time I had an issue, Avast simply quarantined it and I could then choose to delete it at any time.

No AV is perfect. That's why I personally always suggest running a layered approach as well as scanning systems with other scanners once every couple of weeks (there are many good online ones as well as apps like Hitman Pro).

Currently I'm running ESET Smart Security (I had bought a couple of licenses a while ago) as well as Malwarebytes Pro. I also scan with Hitman pro once in a while too.

I highly doubt that MSE would have done any different for you. In my tests, Avast outperformed MSE every time.
I'd like to note that ESET failed me big time a few years ago leading to a large loss of data but it may have improved since then.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #103
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'd like to note that ESET failed me big time a few years ago leading to a large loss of data but it may have improved since then.
Yeah, like I said no one is perfect. ESET always ranks very high in most formal testing out there.

I use Shadow Defender when I'm going somewhere on the Net I KNOW will most likely cause me trouble. That way, a simple reboot and anything that got in is gone.

In my tests, ESET has performed very, very well and has such a low overhead. I don't notice it at all. I did a bit with Avast and especially with Kaspersky in particular.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Shadow Defender. For a one time fee of $35 US, you can't go wrong. One of the best products I've ever owned.

http://www.shadowdefender.com/
Old 07-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #104
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

What do you guys think of Ikarus?

http://www.ikarus.at/en/
Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 PM   #105
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
What do you guys think of Ikarus?

http://www.ikarus.at/en/
40 euros and half the website in German (i think?)

First impressions are not good.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #106
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

^ what are you talking about? its english for me

and no, its not free, but it does rate high on the virus bulletin
Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #107
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go into purchase license from the online shop on this page , it is all German. With further checking that does appear to be the only page though.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 AM   #108
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My final verdict: Avast is terrible.

After reading some suggestions in this thread after my previous post, I looked into some of my issues. I couldn't find an automatic setting to deal with the viruses in Avast on my weekly scans. Avast was still detecting new viruses each week, and failed to deal with them. Here is a summary of what I went through.

- After reading this thread months ago, I made the switch from Security Essentials to Avast
- A few months later, checked Avast logs after noticing bad computer performance and websites randomly opening. Avast has detected viruses on weekly scans (every week, ~5 per week), and didn't appear to do anything with them. I then forced Avast to delete them.
- Trend's House Call detected a few more (8?)
- Ran Malwarebytes, clean up computer a little more
- Ran Dr. Web, detected 3 more viruses
- Reinstalled Microsoft Security Essentials, detected 8 more viruses

I'm starting to wondering what state my computer is in, and how much I should be worried, as a lot of these viruses had a severe rank (should I be changing my online banking passwords?? etc.)

I have never had issues running just solely on MSE and Windows Defender. Everything has went downhill after switching to Avast. I just can't believe how many viruses my computer now has, as I have never ran into this situations before. My only problems now is Windows Defender and MSE can't grab the latest virus definitions (MS help indicated this could be blocked by other anti virus programs).

I think I'm going to run Kaspersky tonight (free trial), to see what it comes up with.

So I just wanted to let the CP community know of my experiences with Avast. Maybe other Avast users have had better success.
________
Live Sex

Last edited by kdogg; 08-17-2011 at 04:06 PM.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #109
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

^^ Kaspersky good.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #110
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
My only problems now is Windows Defender and MSE can't grab the latest virus definitions (MS help indicated this could be blocked by other anti virus programs).

So I just wanted to let the CP community know of my experiences with Avast. Maybe other Avast users have had better success.
I had the same update problem with MSE on multiple computers when using build 1.0.1961.0. I downloaded the current version (1.0.1963.0), uninstalled 1961 and installed 1963 and haven'd had a problem updating since. At least, no problem that I know of.

My experience with Avast has been very good, but as Oilkiller has stated often no a/v program is perfect. If you happen to catch a rootkit that Avast can't find, then it will probably reinfect your PC after each scan and clean and your "Avast experience" will be bad.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #111
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My computer is now at the point where it not unstable, and barely operates. I managed to get Kaspersky on last night, and it detected a rootkit virus (is this very bad??), but I don't know what else it detected as it was crashed when I checked in the morning.

System restore also didn't work for me.

My computer is now on life support, and I am considering pulling the plug on her.
________
LollyForever

Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM   #112
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

kdogg,

If your computer is that bad, reformat.
The Following User Says Thank You to OilKiller For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 08-04-2010, 10:25 AM   #113
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^2nd this opinion. Even if you're able to get Kapersky to run, will you ever be sure you got this virus 100%?

Also, to go back to your original post, kdogg, it probably is a good idea to change your online banking passwords just in case the rootkit you have is a password-stealer. I suppose, though, that it only makes sense to change the passwords after you have reformated your computer, or otherwise fixed the problem.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #114
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've been avoiding a reformat, just because I was going to purchase a new computer in 6-12 months. I was hoping it would last me. This probably pushes my timeline up to tomorrow, as Dell has a sale on.

Tonight is the last night I'll try and make it work, otherwise, its not worth my time to do a reformat on it.

Question:
I obviously need the data on the machine. Am I at risk if i move this drive to another machine? Or would I be safe if I plugged it into a new machine, and immediately ran the virus scan on it right away?
________
EroticQueen

Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #115
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
I've been avoiding a reformat, just because I was going to purchase a new computer in 6-12 months. I was hoping it would last me. This probably pushes my timeline up to tomorrow, as Dell has a sale on.

Tonight is the last night I'll try and make it work, otherwise, its not worth my time to do a reformat on it.

Question:
I obviously need the data on the machine. Am I at risk if i move this drive to another machine? Or would I be safe if I plugged it into a new machine, and immediately ran the virus scan on it right away?
Depending on what is wrong with it, you might be. To be as safe as possible you might want to clean it off before you attach it to another PC.

If you really would like to save this PC for short term use without formatting, this is what I would do:

Download, install and run full scans with both Hitman Pro and MalwareBytes. Hitman Pro will require you to use the 1 month free license, but MalwareBytes is free for personal use.

Once you can run both of them with no hits either
a)see if your antivirus is functioning and update it
-OR-
b) if it is giving you problems still, just uninstall it and download Microsoft Security Essentials (or any other free Anti-virus you have an affinity for such as Avast, a 30 trial of Nod32 etc)

Run a virus scan. Repeat until nothing is found.

Download CCleaner and Defraggler from www.piriform.com

Install CCleaner, and run both the Cleaner and Scan the registry. Backup your registry when it prompts if you feel like it.

Install Defraggler and run it on your system drive. You can also use the built in defrag in Start Menu --> Programs --> Accessories --> System tools --> Disk Defragmenter, as there really isn't much difference, but I think defraggler is a bit quicker and you can do some interesting things with it if you feel so inclined like put some types of files at the end of the disc, like larger media files etc.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #116
mrdeeds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Avast and Avira has a tendency to miss things and Norton's always been a resource hog. I've tried a Kaspersky based av before I found at Wal-Mart was great until the 1 yr free updates ran out. Have gone with Comodo for the last few months and haven't looked backed since.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #117
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kaspersky has saved my machine. Detected 4 more threats. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

It looks like it is probably worth the money.

Any other free AV programs detect rootkits?
________
NatashaBLOWJOB