Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #221
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It seems likely that if this does go to court, that things like what dino7c posted will be considered by the defence.

Henderson, who was about to retire, suffered all these injuries, was able to finish the game, laughed it off with Wideman 5 minutes after, and now wants $10 million?

Now I'm not saying these things don't mean Henderson isn't entitled to some sort of compensation. But this is a message board where we discuss things.

Are you choosing to be offended? Is somebody forcing you to post?
FWIW, there is absolutely no way I'm taking dino7c's claim that they were laughing it off as fact on his say so. Particularly given he's essentially accusing Henderson of fraud. We'd need a few more people to collaborate that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #222
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
FWIW, there is absolutely no way I'm taking dino7c's claim that they were laughing it off as fact. Particularly given he's essentially accusing Henderson of fraud. We'd need a few more people to collaborate that.
I could be wrong, but I thought there were some tweets essentially saying what dino7c said as well.

And I don't think that's really accusing him of fraud. I think it is possible that Henderson never saw the hit until after the game, or he started feeling pain later.

We do know however that Wideman apologized during the next stoppage.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #223
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Seriously people...settle down. It is a claim.

You do not usually file a claim by assessing what could possibly be your worst case scenario (in terms of long lasting injuries and financial burdens) and then only list a fraction of what might come to be.

You try to account for anything that might materialize. You can always drop claims later...you cannot always add claims (and in fact past certain time limits you almost never can).

You can file a statement of claim and wait for a year to even serve it...and then decide not to serve it and just walk away.

The media made a 'breaking news' story out of something that was as predictable as the sun coming up this morning and everyone has flown off the handle over it.

And unless you know for a fact otherwise, you cannot attack someone whose name is in the lawsuit for a position taken in a pleading (like a claim or a defence) because it might be an insurance company calling the shots in that person's name and they had essentially no say in it.

Unless someone can show Henderson giving sworn testimony falsifying his alleged injuries / damages and getting caught out then I don't see any basis to attack him or his character / motives etc.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #224
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure what was caught on TV...people asked me to clarify so described what I saw with my own eyes. Wish I had pvr'd the game honestly.

Beyond that make your own call...to me it seems awfully suspicious (not impossible) that he was that badly injured

He is free to make any claim he wants, I am free to have serious doubts

Dear lord, quoting Francis

https://twitter.com/EricFrancis/stat...75151271989249

Apologized at first TV timeout...the rest you will have to take my word, or not...

Last edited by dino7c; 04-21-2017 at 12:36 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #225
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'm just sitting here, bowled over with fremdschämen.

Ya'll are gross.
Pretty impressive typing fremdschämen and ya'll back-to-back.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM   #226
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
not sure what was caught on TV...people asked me to clarify so described what I saw with my own eyes. Wish I had pvr'd the game honestly.

Beyond that make your own call...to me it seems awfully suspicious (not impossible) that he was that badly injured

He is free to make any claim he wants, I am free to have serious doubts
Head injuries can be complicated. They are not like breaking a leg where it's immediate and noticeable. Read up about all the NHL players that have horrible complications from concussions they probably finished a lot of their games too.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #227
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought there were some tweets essentially saying what dino7c said as well.

And I don't think that's really accusing him of fraud. I think it is possible that Henderson never saw the hit until after the game, or he started feeling pain later.

We do know however that Wideman apologized during the next stoppage.
I disagree. I think both dino7c and Clarkey have been pretty unambiguous in arguing they think Henderson's suit is fraudulent.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #228
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Having filed claims for personal injury before, including on behalf of NHL players, I find the loss of income claim scandalous.

Sure you can always adjust down and not always up, but a claim for past and future loss of income at $10 million does not even remotely reflect reality. I'm going to get a copy of the claim and read it, but the amount of the claim is absurd on its face. He's almost 50 years old.

Filing claims asking for patently absurd amounts is not good legal practice.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 02:09 PM   #229
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I disagree. I think both dino7c and Clarkey have been pretty unambiguous in arguing they think Henderson's suit is fraudulent.
again I was asked so I told what happened...him apologizing at the very next TV timeout has been confirmed. If you think I am lying about them laughing that's fine...I have nothing to gain or lose

The guy had about a month left as an NHL official...personally I don't think he is entitled to millions in lost wages
Old 04-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #230
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not surprised to hear Francis with Rob Kerr yesterday calling us "Internet tough guys" because everyone is not 100% on Henderson's side in this. Don't you have to be a tough guy to start chiding people for being "internet tough guys". In a fight between Francis and a wet noodle I'm taking the wet noodle every time.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:29 PM   #231
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Having filed claims for personal injury before, including on behalf of NHL players, I find the loss of income claim scandalous.

Sure you can always adjust down and not always up, but a claim for past and future loss of income at $10 million does not even remotely reflect reality. I'm going to get a copy of the claim and read it, but the amount of the claim is absurd on its face. He's almost 50 years old.

This is the crux of the issue, and its very refreshing that not all the lawyers in here are trying to justify this practice on the grounds of "that's just how it is".

Through his lawyers Henderson has chosen to go this route, and agreed with these excessive claims. We are certainly entitled to judge his character on that.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #232
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That is a bizarre number, even given usual practice. Who is his lawyer? (Sorry too lazy to look)

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:40 PM   #233
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
That is a bizarre number, even given usual practice. Who is his lawyer? (Sorry too lazy to look)
When I find out I'll PM you and send you the claim.

There also must be a WCB issue here. Could make it hard to pursue if its an accident and not truly intentional.

From a pure personal injury point of view, the claim will succeed however. Just not in the amount claimed.

Last edited by Kjesse; 04-21-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:22 PM   #234
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

A $10.25M claim is stupendously high from we know about the injury and Henderson's employment status and age. How much do linesmen make a year, and when do they on average retire?

Seems more aimed at creating splashy headlines than anything. Pretty unusual practice in my experience.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #235
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When I find out I'll PM you and send you the claim.

There also must be a WCB issue here. Could make it hard to pursue if its an accident and not truly intentional.
If WCB could this be a "worker" on 'worker" issue?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #236
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
If WCB could this be a "worker" on 'worker" issue?
That's a huge issue. Not sure what sort of coverage is in place.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #237
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:

I didn't look through the thread so I apologize if this was asked.

The article said "April 18, seeking general damages of $200,000, special damages "to pay for housekeeping, yard work and hospital expenses" of $50,000, not to mention damages for loss of income and future loss of income of $10 million".

How much does an NHL referee/linesman make per year? I understand it is a claim so they are shooting for higher than what his salary and future salary would be but 10 million is crazy. He will be 50 years old at the start of next season. Let's say he were to referee 15 more years, even $200,000 per year would only be 3 M.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:42 PM   #238
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
That's a huge issue. Not sure what sort of coverage is in place.
It looks like it is exempt.

https://my.wcb.ab.ca/rm/wcb.ratemanu...ustries.aspx#S

Quote:
Competitive sports of all description

So Wideman is exempt, but maybe Henderson isn't because he isn't taking part in competitive sport?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #239
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
It looks like it is exempt.

https://my.wcb.ab.ca/rm/wcb.ratemanu...ustries.aspx#S

So Wideman is exempt, but maybe Henderson isn't because he isn't taking part in competitive sport?
That's a harder issue to resolve than one might think. He's a paid employee.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #240
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heres a question, and I'm not sure its been asked in this thread already (I skipped ahead) so if it has, then my apologies.

What Leagues have 'Professional' Referees?

In the NHL refereeing is a career. Its a full time job.

I know that in Soccer most referees normally have a day job because they really only referee on weekends. Its usually funny because you get to hear that this ref is actually the local Dentist or Veterinarian or Judge or whatever.

Same goes for most other European sports.

Are refs in Baseball and Football 'Professionals?' Baseball I can understand, thats a lot of games. But football?

NHL refs and Linesman make 'career' money. Low six-figures to start and it goes up from there to what, I think $350K?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote