Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #1
OILFAN #81
Everyone's Favorite Oilfan!

Exp:
Default Norris Trophy: Karlsson, Burns, Hedman are Finalists

Early on I would have voted for Burns but I think I'd have given my vote to Karlsson.
OILFAN #81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #2
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looked like a slam dunk for Burns but he faded badly down the stretch and when he's not lighting up the scoreboard he's not really that good in his own end. Karlsson probably takes this one.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It looked like a slam dunk for Burns but he faded badly down the stretch and when he's not lighting up the scoreboard he's not really that good in his own end. Karlsson probably takes this one.
Canadian writers hate Karlsson.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that the same arguments used against Karlsson last year will be used as arguments for Burns this year.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM   #4
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Canadian writers hate Karlsson.

I don't think it's a stretch to think that the same arguments used against Karlsson last year will be used as arguments for Burns this year.
Where did you get that idea? It seems the media is always gushing about him. I'm in the camp that struggles with the Norris trophy in that there's a lot of very good overall defensemen that don't get as much credit as they deserve compared to Karlsson who IMO is kind of a rover player. In a lot of ways I think Karlsson usually makes for a more compelling Hart Trophy candidate because he's everything for that team and is kind of like a 4th forward on the ice for them.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

they hate Karlsson so bad he has won and been a finalist multiple times lol
Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Karlsson's back must be sore from carrying the Senators every year.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Same old, same old....... boring.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:31 PM   #8
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Where did you get that idea? It seems the media is always gushing about him. I'm in the camp that struggles with the Norris trophy in that there's a lot of very good overall defensemen that don't get as much credit as they deserve compared to Karlsson who IMO is kind of a rover player. In a lot of ways I think Karlsson usually makes for a more compelling Hart Trophy candidate because he's everything for that team and is kind of like a 4th forward on the ice for them.
Canadian media uses that exact same narrative - he puts up scoring at a rate not seen since Bobby Orr, so he must be some sort of 4th forward or rover and thus cannot be good defensively and is not deserving of the Norris. Second to good ole Canadian boys like Doughty who really deserves one.

Yeah, he's been a finalist multiple times, but the fact that he didn't win last year after putting up a historic, generational season is basically as bad as when the Montreal writer left Iginla off of the Hart ballot. Sure, Iginla was a finalist that year but only being a finalist showed the level of bias against him.

My bet is on Burns. I don't think the "we screwed Karlsson last year" narrative is strong enough for him to sway enough writers.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Canadian media uses that exact same narrative - he puts up scoring at a rate not seen since Bobby Orr, so he must be some sort of 4th forward or rover and thus cannot be good defensively and is not deserving of the Norris. Second to good ole Canadian boys like Doughty who really deserves one.

Yeah, he's been a finalist multiple times, but the fact that he didn't win last year after putting up a historic, generational season is basically as bad as when the Montreal writer left Iginla off of the Hart ballot. Sure, Iginla was a finalist that year but only being a finalist showed the level of bias against him.

My bet is on Burns. I don't think the "we screwed Karlsson last year" narrative is strong enough for him to sway enough writers.
It's not like Burns is much different of a player and I've always valued goals more than assists so him putting up 27 and 29 goal seasons is quite the feat in this day and age. Karlsson's 16 and 17 goals for in the past two seasons to me is good but nothing special for a defenseman. He gets a lot of assists and is the catalyst for the team's offensive game but there's something to be said for finishing goals yourself rather than just distributing the puck.