Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2017, 07:48 PM   #61
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Mike Evans isn't remotely explosive, he's not a guy who gets separation very well, and you would trade a bevy of picks to get him on the Eagles. Evans is great at making halo catches (throws that are near him that he simply snags), but he's not running by anybody. In fact he'd probably have at least five more career TDs if he could get away from guys. Williams, like Evans, is big and can high point the ball very well. That makes him a downfield threat (and perhaps as importantly, a PI magnet). I get that "Mike Williams" as a namesake hasn't exactly been great in the NFL, but he's the consensus best receiver in the draft.

Also, Cowboys will release Romo. Gotta think it's Denver or Houston for him, since he'd make them instant Super Bowl contenders.
Evans ran a 4.53 40 and had a 37" vertical jump. Williams didn't run but I would easily bet his pro day 40 is slower and is vert was 5“ shorter. Evans is an absolute freak athlete.

Again, go look at Kelvin Benjamin's combine numbers and they're quite similar to Williams'. That's not even really an insult because Benjamin would be the best WR on the Eagles right now.

Not sure where you're getting that Williams is the consensus best WR in the draft when guys like Mayock and others have Davis ranked above him.

EDIT: Also, remember last year when Treadwell was the consensus best WR in the draft and he ended up being the 4th WR taken?

Last edited by rubecube; 03-08-2017 at 07:52 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #62
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've watched more or less every snap Evans has had in the NFL, so this is where combine numbers are misleading. He just isn't a YAC guy, he's not running away from guys. What he excels at as I said is catching balls that are just in his neighborhood. Jameis isn't great with accuracy so he makes a lot of tough catches downfield. But he's not a guy you throw to underneath and hope he can make a big play, most of his big plays are on throws 15+ yards down the field, and usually with not much YAC (only 200 YAC yards out of 1300 total last year). But you're not complaining much about no YAC when he's already got a 15 yard play as he catches it.

I don't pay attention to NFL Network anymore, but most online mocks I've seen have Williams first for WRs, and Davis second. Odds are Williams will be off the board before the Eagles even pick, so they'll get their choice of Davis or Ross. I'd still rather have Cooks though, even if he's more expensive contract wise. A proven guy in his prime is exactly what the Eagles need.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #63
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I've watched more or less every snap Evans has had in the NFL, so this is where combine numbers are misleading. He just isn't a YAC guy, he's not running away from guys. What he excels at as I said is catching balls that are just in his neighborhood. Jameis isn't great with accuracy so he makes a lot of tough catches downfield. But he's not a guy you throw to underneath and hope he can make a big play, most of his big plays are on throws 15+ yards down the field, and usually with not much YAC (only 200 YAC yards out of 1300 total last year). But you're not complaining much about no YAC when he's already got a 15 yard play as he catches it.

I don't pay attention to NFL Network anymore, but most online mocks I've seen have Williams first for WRs, and Davis second. Odds are Williams will be off the board before the Eagles even pick, so they'll get their choice of Davis or Ross. I'd still rather have Cooks though, even if he's more expensive contract wise. A proven guy in his prime is exactly what the Eagles need.
Yeah, that's fair. I agree that combine numbers don't tell the whole story but I think that vertical jump is a big thing for a guy who has problems with separation because you want to make sure he can outjump bigger corners. The reason I like Davis better is because he seems to be more comparable to a Brandon Marshall or T.O. type who are just machines after the catch.

The reason I don't want Cook for a first is because I don't think the Eagles are one or two pieces away from competing so he could be gone or super expensive if/when they ever get to the point of being legitimate super bowl contenders. That said, I appear to be in the minority of Eagles fans on that.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #64
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also the Giants signed Brandon Marshall, which is a great signing for them.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #65
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eagles signed Torrey Smith so I guess that ends any Cooks pursuit for them. But not for the Patriots, who after signing Stephon Gilmore are apparently looking to trade Malcolm Butler for Cooks straight up. Sounds very....un-New England like.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #66
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, very unusual move for the Pats. Everyone thought Gilmore meant Logan Ryan was officially gone, but maybe they hope to extend Ryan and trade Butler? Can't imagine them losing both Butler and Ryan.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #67
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure how I feel about the Smith signing. I know they wanted a speedy receiver but Smith has not been good for a couple of years now. I know the 49ers stink to high heavens but still. Money played a part in this one.

Eagles also cut Barwin. You knew it was coming, too much money for a guy playing out of position. Loved him during his time here though.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #68
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bears are releasing Jay Cutler and are signing Mike Glennon.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #69
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Not sure how I feel about the Smith signing. I know they wanted a speedy receiver but Smith has not been good for a couple of years now. I know the 49ers stink to high heavens but still. Money played a part in this one.

Eagles also cut Barwin. You knew it was coming, too much money for a guy playing out of position. Loved him during his time here though.
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the Smith signing but the cost is relatively low and I imagine they've structured the contract so they can get out of it after a year if they want to. That said, if they can get Williams or Davis in the draft, then WR lineup of William/Davis, Smith, Matthews, and Agholor/DGB/Turner looks better than the garbage we trotted out last year.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #70
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Definitely, Smith has been a good receiver over his career just nothing outstanding. If it pushes Agholor to number 4 I am all for it. What bust he has been.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #71
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

man I'd love Connor Barwin on the Steelers. Didn't work as a DE, but was really effective as a 3-4 OLB before that iirc.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #72
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also sounds like the Eagles will be signing Alshon, which I like but also think is a huge risk.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #73
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Also sounds like the Eagles will be signing Alshon, which I like but also think is a huge risk.
I just read that they are not signing or at least they don't think they will. Would need to make other roster moves in order to fit the cap hit.

barwin was great in the 3-4, to small to play end every down.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #74
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

People are already calling Mike Glennon Osweiler 2.0, but that ignores the fact the Bears are paying only $19 million in guarantees (not $38 million), and that Glennon is far better than Osweiler has ever been. Not that I'm saying Glennon will be great, but he's certainly much better than Osweiler. In today's QB market, I think Glennon is easily worth the risk, I thought he looked pretty decent in his run in Tampa, plus he was deemed not good enough by the worst QB evaluator in NFL history in Lovie Smith, so that's another positive mark for him. Certainly if I was a Bears fan I'd rather see what Glennon can do for a year or two than hoping Cutler somehow learns to stop getting hurt/being a turnover machine.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #75
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just read that they are not signing or at least they don't think they will. Would need to make other roster moves in order to fit the cap hit.

barwin was great in the 3-4, to small to play end every down.
Yeah, it's all twitter chatter right now and I could still see him re-signing with the Bears.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #76
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as where Cutler goes, probably to wherever Kirk Cousins doesn't go. Either to the 49ers if they don't trade for Cousins, or the Redskins if they do trade Cousins. Maybe the Jets I guess. Otherwise just do not see a market for him.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 PM   #77
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kevin Zeitler getting Osemele money in Cleveland. 5 yrs, 60m.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #78
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, it's all twitter chatter right now and I could still see him re-signing with the Bears.
Yeah, lots of chatter. We need WR's and CB's. So we either sign one or the other or load up in the draft. This draft has a strong CB class does it not? Sign Jeffery and load up on CB in the draft. It is just the cost of Jeffery that has me worried.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #79
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This draft has a strong CB class does it not?
yeah it's heavy on pass rushers and cornerbacks.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 12:55 PM   #80
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Kevin Zeitler getting Osemele money in Cleveland. 5 yrs, 60m.
Dang, the Saints were high on him. But when teams have $100M in cap room (!!!!), it's hard to compete.

Been super busy at work today, hadn't heard about the Cooks to NE development. Last I heard last night was trade talks had come to a standstill with him. They may as well just deal him at this point, I'd assume things have to be pretty fractured between Cooks and the Saints after all this. Don't need one of your star players wearing his poopy pants coming into TC.

Last edited by Sainters7; 03-09-2017 at 12:57 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote