Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 03:54 PM   #1261
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy a processor or video card or both that you plan on upgrading soon. You won't get half of that value back. Buy the processor you want and get a make do video card until you are ready. And if you do that, find a used one to hold you over instead of new, to save even more.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #1262
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I made a list on PCPartPicker and it looks like MemEx has fair prices for all of the parts so that's a good start.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/XcGQsk

How much are they charging to assemble it and load Windows? I know they'll install the CPU and RAM and test them for free. Are you comfortable doing the rest? It's pretty straight forward.

Do you have any other storage? If the m.2 is just for the OS and productivity apps then 500GB is fine but if you want to put games on it so they load fast you'll probably want to upgrade to at least 1TB. The latest COD is over 100GB itself!

I would also suggest bumping up to at least an 80+ Gold power supply. Stay with Corsair though. They're solid.

You might consider this motherboard for futureproofing but it's quite a bit more so it might blow your budget.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...gaming-edge-ac

Even if you don't do these upgrades it looks like a good build to me. Have fun!
I'm just looking online at a few places and it seems the Ryzen 3600x is superior to the i5 9600? Should I maybe consider the Ryzen? And the EVGA geforce 2600 ko gaming video card would run new games on max settings?

Sorry yes to add, I would not have any other storage than the 500 gb I'll definitely get a larger one.

And they charge $100 to put it all together and test it and another $144 for win 10. I'm pretty green when it comes to computers so I'm sure I'd eff it up, I'd rather just let them do it.

Last edited by Deviaant; 06-07-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #1263
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
I'm just looking online at a few places and it seems the Ryzen 3600x is superior to the i5 9600? Should I maybe consider the Ryzen? And the EVGA geforce 2600 ko gaming video card would run new games on max settings?
I'm an AMD convert so I'd say go with Ryzen for better overall performance if you do CPU intensive tasks like video or audio. I think Intel still has the lead with games though.

Most likely it'll run great on high or ultra. What resolution and frame rate is your monitor?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #1264
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This is the monitor I was considering. For no other reason other than price point.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #1265
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
This is the monitor I was considering. For no other reason other than price point.
Yeah at "Full HD" your card will be more than enough.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #1266
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now is a terrible time to buy computer hardware, if at all possible hold off.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #1267
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
End of a generation?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #1268
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

Got a wicked deal on a 1TB 960 evo. Are you talking about new gens coming out or what?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #1269
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
End of a generation?
the computer list you have will be obsolete in 5 months. (CPU and motherboard and graphics.)

how long are you expecting to run max settings? 1 year? 2 years? what types of games are you expecting to play? what is an acceptable frame rate?

how long are you going to hold onto the computer before upgrading? are you going to upgrade or just replace wholesale?

some framerates are unrealistic considering the game / game engine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...ce-test/4.html

Last edited by Cliche; 06-07-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #1270
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
the computer list you have will be obsolete in 5 months. (CPU and motherboard and graphics.)

how long are you expecting to run max settings? 1 year? 2 years? what types of games are you expecting to play? what is an acceptable frame rate?

how long are you going to hold onto the computer before upgrading? are you going to upgrade or just replace wholesale?

Honestly this is fairly new to me so I've had to and do try to adjust my expectations as I learn, but it's been a bit of a process but Ive had fun so far.

I do understand that what's awesome today won't be tomorrow but honestly I'd like a bit more longevity than 5 months. I'd like to be able to run max settings on games for I think a year would be a realistic time frame in my budget.

I do enjoy fps games like Destiny 2 and Cod. I also like games like the GTA V and sim games. I would also be doing some simple picture editing, nothing approaching a pro scale, just family things. I'd like it to last a year or so before I'm wanting to upgrade something minor and maybe last 2 years before I want to upgrade a major component of it.

I'm a console guy, what's a frame rate? Should not be too difficult to wow me.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #1271
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

It won't be obsolete in 5 months. Sure he could wait to see what the latest and greatest will be and maybe save a few bucks but this machine will be great for at least a couple of years.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:30 PM   #1272
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly this is fairly new to me so I've had to and do try to adjust my expectations as I learn, but it's been a bit of a process but Ive had fun so far.

I do understand that what's awesome today won't be tomorrow but honestly I'd like a bit more longevity than 5 months. I'd like to be able to run max settings on games for I think a year would be a realistic time frame in my budget.

I do enjoy fps games like Destiny 2 and Cod. I also like games like the GTA V and sim games. I would also be doing some simple picture editing, nothing approaching a pro scale, just family things. I'd like it to last a year or so before I'm wanting to upgrade something minor and maybe last 2 years before I want to upgrade a major component of it.

Frame rate is the number of times the images on the screen get updated per second. A higher frame rate means a smoother experience. Coming from consoles you'll be fine with 60fps and 120fps+ will blow you away. This system is capable of delivering 120fps on high settings for Destiny 2 and COD MW. Yeah you'll have to "suffer" with lower frame rates with some games but they'll still be over 60.

If you're fine with waiting you could benefit when new hardware comes out but I wouldn't regret building now if that's what you want to do.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #1273
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This one is $1800, so a bit more but still within budget.

Seems like it is a bit better all round?
Old 06-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #1274
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
This one is $1800, so a bit more but still within budget.

Seems like it is a bit better all round?
It looks like the Ryzen 3600x is on par with the Intel chip for gaming and superior for other tasks, so it's definitely the better choice.

https://www.tomshardware.com/feature...-core-i5-9600k

You'll get about 10% performance boost from the 2070 Super. Everything else is about the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #1275
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Unfortunately, no one can be told what a Frame rate is. You have to see it for yourself.

is space a consideration? in general a computer with a full size atx board will give lots more pathways for upgrades and durability than micro-ATX or mini-ATX builds.

I also saw that the board picked has bluetooth and wireless lan. are those a requirement? going to use a ps4 /ps3 controller with it? where it's going not going to have an ethernet cable plug?

also ram speed benefits are lower/nonexistent with intel and 2666mhz ram is fine for the board and cpu vs any performance gains with 3200mhz as the computer is limited by the GPU.

9600k should be for full size atx with overclocking capable chipset. with the picked motherboard 9600k may not be able to reach listed boost clocks. (this is according to the review of the board on memory express's site.) 9400 may be more suitable. at 1080p the limitation is usually the video card.

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It won't be obsolete in 5 months. Sure he could wait to see what the latest and greatest will be and maybe save a few bucks but this machine will be great for at least a couple of years.
it's a hot take. will it be a slide show machine? no, however in all odds a better machine for cheaper can be built in 5 months. will it be able to run the UE5 demo at high/ultra settings 1080p? not likely.

Last edited by Cliche; 06-07-2020 at 09:30 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:28 PM   #1276
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
End of a generation?
Yea, mostly. Plus there are shortages (they seem to come and go).
Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Got a wicked deal on a 1TB 960 evo. Are you talking about new gens coming out or what?
Yes. Plus the AMD B550 motherboards will be out shortly they are looking to be great value. Nothing at all wrong with X570 boards but I have a feeling the 550 boards will offer more features for the money and could very well end up being better motherboards in general.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:02 AM   #1277
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

is space a consideration? in general a computer with a full size atx board will give lots more pathways for upgrades and durability than micro-ATX or mini-ATX builds.

I also saw that the board picked has bluetooth and wireless lan. are those a requirement? going to use a ps4 /ps3 controller with it? where it's going not going to have an ethernet cable plug?

also ram speed benefits are lower/nonexistent with intel and 2666mhz ram is fine for the board and cpu vs any performance gains with 3200mhz as the computer is limited by the GPU.

9600k should be for full size atx with overclocking capable chipset. with the picked motherboard 9600k may not be able to reach listed boost clocks. (this is according to the review of the board on memory express's site.) 9400 may be more suitable. at 1080p the limitation is usually the video card.

Spoiler!

it's a hot take. will it be a slide show machine? no, however in all odds a better machine for cheaper can be built in 5 months. will it be able to run the UE5 demo at high/ultra settings 1080p? not likely.
Nope, size is no issue at all. I would like to use a controller sometimes, I generally gamed on a PS4 so that's where my brain went for a controller.

Sorry if I am not fully understanding ill do a bit of googling tomorrow, because I do want to get this purchase right.

Are you saying I should get a larger case so I can fit a different motherboard in it?

I was considering upgrading to a Ryzen 3700 and a bit better video card.

I get it may not be the best time to buy a computer but I do need something other than a crappy tablet and phone I'm reduced to now. So I'm kinda stuck with the situation so I'm trying to do the best I can for upto $2k (not including a monitor)
Old 06-08-2020, 06:56 AM   #1278
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 months is optimistic though, because part availability at launch can be a real crapshoot.

Getting a prebuilt with new parts would be even harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 06-08-2020 at 06:59 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #1279
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking at making some upgrades to my rig after my benefits kick in next month, and I can't say I've followed the next generation hardware conversation especially closely. It all goes a bit over my head, to be honest. Would someone be able to give me a quick and dirty dummy's guide for what's coming and when it might be a good time to look at upgrading?

For context, I'm currently running a GTX 1060 off an i7-7700K processor and was looking at upgrading to a graphics card with a bit more power - the RX 5700 XT seemed like the way to go for the budget I'm working with. I don't do any especially hardcore gaming and I don't plan on pushing my rig to its limits, but I also don't want to throw money away on hardware that will soon be obsolete if I can just wait a few months to avoid that.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:19 PM   #1280
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Anyone here put an m.2 card in an enclosure to use as portable storage? If so, how did it work out and what enclosure did you use.