Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #1201
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well hot damn. I had resigned myself to the reality that I'd be watching Norwich take on (and hopefully survive) Manchester United from the confines of a local pub. Then my hopes were tickled a little when my cousin told me that someone was selling their ticket at the hospital where she works and that she would try and get it for me. Unfortunately it was already sold. (sad trombone)

Then, this evening, another cousin called me up and said that his wife would like me to have her ticket (she's a season ticket holder) because she knows how much I like football and I always attend every possible game that I can while I'm over here. And she won't even let me pay for it. Obviously I'll insist on dinner or at least a few drinks if she won't take money for it.

Things have a funny way of working out. Now hopefully Norwich will keep it close and maybe squeak out a home draw. Optimistic, obviously, but anything can happen.

Then a road trip to Stoke followed by a home game vs. Wigan.

Insert "cool story bro" here, but I don't care.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #1202
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Well hot damn. I had resigned myself to the reality that I'd be watching Norwich take on (and hopefully survive) Manchester United from the confines of a local pub. Then my hopes were tickled a little when my cousin told me that someone was selling their ticket at the hospital where she works and that she would try and get it for me. Unfortunately it was already sold. (sad trombone)

Then, this evening, another cousin called me up and said that his wife would like me to have her ticket (she's a season ticket holder) because she knows how much I like football and I always attend every possible game that I can while I'm over here. And she won't even let me pay for it. Obviously I'll insist on dinner or at least a few drinks if she won't take money for it.

Things have a funny way of working out. Now hopefully Norwich will keep it close and maybe squeak out a home draw. Optimistic, obviously, but anything can happen.

Then a road trip to Stoke followed by a home game vs. Wigan.

Insert "cool story bro" here, but I don't care.
That sounds like a lot of fun! I hope you get a positive result in the game.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #1203
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...ant-to-play-in

Vertonghen says he wants to play in the premier league next season

my guess is Spurs or Arsenal
Old 02-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #1204
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Norwich have equalised with 8 min left.

Hope they hold on!

Lovin the NLD!
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #1205
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

Hope they hold on!

Lovin the NLD!
they would have deserved at least a point, actually they would have deserved a win. United is careless at the moment, they only do what is absolutely necessary. Once they have a lead, they sit back and wait ... maybe they want to save energy, but it's definitely not a recipe for success. It was only after the equalizer that they started attacking again ... disappointing to see, and worrying as well. Not the kind of football they are capable of.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #1206
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

embarrassing, even at 2-0 it wasn't deserved

worst performance since August, Arsenal dominated the game
Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #1207
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Daniel Levy is getting his wallet out this summer

http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...ms-Spurs-offer

offer made for Damiao
Living in brazil, I've seen him play a fair bit. He's the real deal with size, skill and drive. He'd really do well in the premiership
Old 02-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #1208
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post

Hope they hold on!

Lovin the NLD!
Oh man - what a day. Unfortunately the result wasn't a win, but Norwich had a good match and deserved at least a point. In typical Norwich fashion, they never really seemed out of it, and they actually had the better of the chances.

When Norwich tied it up, Carrow Road just went nuts. I was sitting behind the goal where Holt scored (although a bit back). But Manchester United, although they didn't have their best game, sure showed their quality when pressing for the eventual winner. You could just sense that the switch had been flipped on and they knew what they had to do. They woke up and managed to win in injury time.

Man Utd also had a good number of away supporters, which always makes for a lively atmosphere. I love the banter (in song) that goes back and forth between the different sides. My tickets for the Wigan game in a couple of weeks are just one section over from the away fans, so that should be fun.

A win or a draw would have been the icing on the cake, but it was still a good effort and it was neat to see some of the big names like Giggs, Scholes, Nani, etc. and even Fergie in person, even though I'm not a Man U fan. De Gea is as small as he looks on TV. Haha.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM   #1209
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
they would have deserved at least a point, actually they would have deserved a win. United is careless at the moment, they only do what is absolutely necessary. Once they have a lead, they sit back and wait ... maybe they want to save energy, but it's definitely not a recipe for success. It was only after the equalizer that they started attacking again ... disappointing to see, and worrying as well. Not the kind of football they are capable of.
Yeah but it's what they do and have for so long. The number of games they have won late is really amazing. Some games they have been pouring it on for half the game and finally get one. Others they just seem to pull it out of a hat. But when they have done it so many times I almost take it for granted they can pull it off anytime.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #1210
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Podolski off to Arsenal?

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-ne...-deal-podolski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #1211
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Damn, that would be a good signing. I didnt know he was available.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #1212
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I have an auto record set on my Shaw PVR to record all shows that contain "premier league soccer" in HD only. Just logged on using my Slingbox and noticed that there were a couple of game recorded on a mysterious channel 254.

So it looks like Shaw subscribers can finally get Sportsnet World HD. Although I'm not a subscriber (dropped my coin on premierleaguelive.tv instead), the channel is accessible to me for now. Not sure of that is due to a free preview or an oversight.

Although I don't need it anymore for Premier League soccer (my current arrangement is great as I can see Norwich live every week), I won't rule out subscribing for cricket and rugby down the road.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #1213
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some news.

Quote:
Rafa Benitez will agree to take over the Chelsea job if he is offered it as an immediate replacement for under-fire Andre Villas-Boas.

The Portuguese's (AVB) condemnation of Torres in a recent interview - he talked about the Spaniard in the same terms as flops Andriy Shevchenko and Mateja Kezman - has hurt the hierarchy at the club all the way up to Roman Abramovich.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...helsea?cc=5901

Haha! Torres is apparently tearing Chelsea apart from within! I knew he was still a Red at heart! Either way, Liverpool sold him, Spain dropped him and AVB doesnt want him.

Also, God is going to make an appearance in the Championship.

Quote:
Former Liverpool and England striker Robbie Fowler is training with Blackpool with a view to joining the Championship club after approaching Tangerines boss Ian Holloway.

In a series of tweets on their official Twitter page, the club said: "Former Liverpool striker Robbie Fowler has trained with the club today with a view to signing a permanent deal.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...ckpool?cc=5901

Nice! Just another reason for me to really like Blackpool.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #1214
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^ Wow, a lot of drama for Chelsea these days. I heard on the score that Luiz was also talking to Portugese media about how Lampard should listen to the coach more and do as he says. It really seems like they have clear divisions in the locker room.

And a gratuitous God pic:

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #1215
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tomasz Kunspellable is upset with United, its kind of a mild gripe, but hes got a point.

Quote:
Manchester United goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak has criticised the club for accepting the goalkeeping mistakes of David De Gea while he was hung out to dry.

"I've not played a single game after being pushed aside. This was all a disappointing end to my time at United. In previous years there was no place for keeping mistakes and I always knew that. It is a big club. This year there's more of a place for keeping mistakes and bad performances. This is the way it is. I'm disappointed about how things have ended.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...united?cc=5901

tl;dr is that hes disappointed that he waited until Van der Sar retired and then Fergie replaced him with De Gea who has been hot and cold, to say the least.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM   #1216
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's like David N'Gog saying he's pissed because he waited until Fernando Torres left and then Luis Suarez came in and he didn't get to play

timelines dont add up but you get the point

maybe he should have stayed at WBA instead of going to a club like that

same thing that Wayne Bridge did

if you want to play dont go to a club that plans on getting better players than you
Old 03-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #1217
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The Eden Hazard situation continues to get more interesting. One site I follow tends to be very accurate with their information, and they had this to say:

Quote:
Whilst Real Madrid or Barcelona remain his preferred destination PSG, Chelsea, Spurs, Bayern Munich and Inter Milan are all interested to one degree or another. I said over the summer that I would not be surprised to see Manchester United through their hat in to the ring with Hazard as well. Chelsea have maintained a long-term interest but one particularly influential party at the club sees the player as having an attitude problem (primarily related to previously well-publised issues). However, Chelsea have recently discussed the player with Lille and a firm offer by Chelsea is still a possibility. Arsenal spoke with Lille before the last summer window and, I am told, proposed a "derisory number" and suggested taking the player would be a risk. Bayern Munich apparently remain very keen on Hazard but the player is seemingly not interested in a move to Germany. Inter would find the transfer fee too high and their only hope would be a part-ownership deal with some cash and a player or two moving to LIlle. Spurs are interested but may need the price to drop significantly to make a move viable. PSG would have the money available but again the player does not want such a move. I really don't see Hazard moving to Liverpool, Juventus, AC Milan or Arsenal for that matter, although with other clubs frustrated at his questionable attitude means it is getting harder to tell where he will end up so a move to pretty much anywhere cannot be completely ruled out. His constant speaking to the press and his recent statement that a move to England would be a stepping stone to Spain will make several clubs think twice about making an offer.
His constant babbling about other teams that he is not a part of yet, plus the rumors of his poor attitude could potentially drive away a few teams. Lille cannot be happy with his constant talking while still under contract with them, and it makes me question his loyalty. He is thought to be an absolute top-class player though.

I don't think Liverpool really had a chance to land this kid anyway, but I won't mind if we just decide to steer clear of him. Despite his talent, he will be a fairly big risk because of the 30+ million pounds that will likely have to be paid in order to get him.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #1218
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont think hes in Kenny or Damien's plans, plus I'm not sold on Hazard being the real deal anyways, in the few performances I have seen from him I dont see why hes so highly rated.

That said, I laughed at the part where Arsenal made a 'derisory bid.'

Old 03-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #1219
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

I was out shopping at the local supermarket yesterday and I saw this guy wearing an Arsenal home shirt with the most ridiculous embroidery on the back. It read:

Spurs Got Done

5-2

Ha-Ha!

It probably cost him $100 CAD to get that done.

What a loser.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #1220
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well liverpool's top 4 chances are pretty much done with a performance typical of their season. Completely dominate the game and aren't able to finish anything. Countless wasted chances again today, could have scored 5.
Closed Thread