Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #1701
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I change the radio station when these ads come on. Sometimes I remember to change back, sometimes I don't. I'd hoped the nightmare of these ads would have ended by now. Boycott Spence Diamonds!
It's really baffling how they've managed to go on and on and on. And every two weeks there's a new one that's even dumber than the last.

I got married just this year and I specifically avoided Spence for the engagement ring and wedding rings. Didn't even go there to scope it out. Those ads are that bad.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #1702
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The amazing thing is that it's been like 10 years with those unbelievably annoying ads. It's as though it's working for them. I don't know, though. Seems like it's sheer volume of commercials that's probably driving what must be the (assumed) noticeable increase in sales.

It just baffles me how they can continuously put out annoying as F*** ads, as well as ads that admit that they know that their ads suck. Hire a marketing team, Spence. Stop being that company that I swear I'll boycott if I ever decide I need to buy a diamond.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:39 AM   #1703
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

I would think that as 4x4 said it is the shear volume of adds that sticks in peoples minds. A diamond is usually a once a lifetime purchase so they just have to stick in your head for one time and the fact that they promote they have the best diamonds and the lowest prices is all they need to stick in there.

As for commercials that GMG there are 2 right now. The Sears one where they take away something and the person makes the absolute worst choice to make up for it. We are taking away your warm winter jacket in January, fine I'll just wear a sleeping bag. First off, you are taking away something that I purchased from you without a fight and second a FREAKING SLEEPING BAG????

The other one is the same concept for for toilet paper. These guys taking away all of their brand of TP and then we have everyone yelling to their wives and moms that they are out of TP. Really the brand that you like is missing from the store so you just said Oh well guess we are all walking around with out wiping now. Then to top it off the b!tch at the end with the attitude saying "Going somewhere?" I just want to kick her in the box.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #1704
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
I change the radio station when these ads come on. Sometimes I remember to change back, sometimes I don't. I'd hoped the nightmare of these ads would have ended by now. Boycott Spence Diamonds!

I'm in the same situation. I find I don't listen to 960 in my commute anywhere near as much as I used to because I hated getting boambarbed with those f'n annoying commercials.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #1705
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
The other one is the same concept for for toilet paper. These guys taking away all of their brand of TP and then we have everyone yelling to their wives and moms that they are out of TP. Really the brand that you like is missing from the store so you just said Oh well guess we are all walking around with out wiping now. Then to top it off the b!tch at the end with the attitude saying "Going somewhere?" I just want to kick her in the box.

well...to be fair, she is fat and needs alot of that TP to wipe her big fat ass! (what's her excuse )
Old 11-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #1706
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did that Fountain Tire guy sign some sort of 50 year contract or something. Maybe they should change things up after, as long as I can remember.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #1707
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wonder if radio stations even screen ads. You would think the annoying ones would drive down listeners as I switch the station every time Spence comes on.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bradster57 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 08:42 AM   #1708
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah, that new Spence one annoys me even more than the previous ones. The comment about the guy who had saved up to by this quarter carat diamond or whatever it was had 'known (or felt) he had done something' on purchasing that stone really irks me.

What had he done? Bought a overpriced rock (truly overpriced as the diamond cartels manage the price by holding over half of all supply in vaults) from a morally bankrupt company that probably caused violence in it's wake? Yeah, way to go!

Even if you're not as worried about the moral aspects of diamonds as I am, I dunno how you decide buying some crap rock is 'doing something (special)'. You're just throwing the money away. I guess nice jewelry does appreciate over time, maybe you've got a nice piece to hand down to kids and grandkids, (that one of them will probably end up selling at one point), but it's still hardly an investment you're going to build your family name with. You could take the same money, invest it in whatever, and really leave your family something if that was the whole plan to begin with.

Done something? Done something? It's tripe like this that convinces people stuff like this has 'value'.

Rant over.

But yeah, since the beginning of advertising those in charge have noticed even annoying ads work if you repeat them over and over. I read an article about advertising on the radio soaps before television; kinda the birth of advertising. They would use product placement and would mention the product in the show an average of TWICE A MINUTE! The hate mail flowed. But sales also went up. Way up.

So I guess it's just something we gotta get used to.

Last edited by Daradon; 11-06-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #1709
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

didn't the goof actually say "you hate the ads, but you love the store" in one of them? I know no one who has ever shopped there.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #1710
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^ Yup. Though not taking yourself too seriously probably helps. It may have convinced a few of the people who hate the ads to take a peek inside. "Oh, they know their ads are annoying, well I guess they aren't THAT bad."
Old 11-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #1711
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sarah sounds cute - and she is:

https://www.spencediamonds.com/WhoIsSpence
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #1712
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Totally pictured her blonde. Maybe it's cause she's always asking ditzy questions and is always kissing 'Shawn's' ass.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #1713
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Totally pictured her blonde. Maybe it's cause she's always asking ditzy questions and is always kissing 'Shawn's' ass.
I think somebody else is kissing Shawn's ass!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #1714
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
didn't the goof actually say "you hate the ads, but you love the store" in one of them? I know no one who has ever shopped there.

I;m told by folks in the ad business that he turns over his entire overhead at an astonishing rate, leaps and bounds ahead of what most jewelry stores do.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #1715
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I;m told by folks in the ad business that he turns over his entire overhead at an astonishing rate, leaps and bounds ahead of what most jewelry stores do.
he's annoyed everyone in here, but he must be doing something right
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #1716
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I think somebody else is kissing Shawn's ass!
You lost me.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #1717
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
I would believe that, I know they are very successful.

I actually interviewed with them years ago, they send you to gemology school or whatever it's called in Vancouver, and then give you additional sales training over top of that, they seem like a very professional outfit.

I actually was told I all but have the job after the second interview, and to await a call. After a week, I didn't hear anything so I sent an e-mail. Didn't get a reply. So I send another e-mail a week or ten days later and am told that the manager that was going to hire me had been fired. But I could come reapply if I wanted to.

So I did, but apparently the new guy didn't like me as much as the old guy. I think their staffing needs may have changed in the meantime actually, cause I don't think anyone new started there for a while after that. So maybe that part wasn't entirely professional, but what can you do, stuff like that happens.

But yeah, their commercials are freaking annoying.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #1718
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's learned that if you bombard the world with ads claiming that their prices are good, it irrationally sticks with people and it gets butts in the store.

The rub is that their prices are actually mostly worse than everywhere else, but the ads are targeted at the type of person who's too lazy to research and go to the bother of looking up other options. The ads improve volume and margin.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #1719
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I bought my wife's ring at Spence; in spite of hating their ads. I had gone into other stores, and had always felt a little intimidated. Their ads, as annoying as they can be, were true. Much different experience going in there. I was able to go in with little knowledge, and left feeling good spending thousands of dollars on a little rock.

Could I have saved a bit somewhere else? Maybe. But the peace of mind was worth it to me.

And I would have never gone if their ads were like the other ones; which are aimed at women and/or make men feel bad about not spending 5 figures on a ring.

I do agree, they need a better spokesman.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #1720
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those lame "give a darn" commercials. They clearly try to use the phrase to give the commercial some punch, but then wuss out and go all Ned Flanders on it. Is "damn" really that strong of a word?

Those commercials can go to heck.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad commercials , bunchowhiners , eww spence diamonds "guy" , eww vagisil , spence sucks , subway sucks , telus sucks