Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #3141
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the humans could easily Dodge those ice Spears. Even Drogon dodged one. He hit Viserion because he was an incoming target and Viserion was focused on the horde at that moment so he didn't see it coming.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #3142
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Show's directors know there are problems with the pacing and that it's "straining plausibility". Doesn't care because it's not impacting ratings. So lazy writing is okay as long as people still watch the show.

Quote:
As Taylor tells Variety, the Thrones team has been focusing on the “emotional experience” of Snow-cean’s Seven’s misguided mission rather than the particulars of how it unfolds. “We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there,” Taylor says, which “worked for some people, for other people it didn’t.” Noting that fans “seemed to be very concerned about how fast a raven can fly,” Taylor brings up “plausible impossibilities, which is what you try to achieve, rather than impossible plausibilities. So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff.” Ultimately, the story took precedence over the pacing; there was just too much important stuff to address, though that doesn’t seem to include discussing just how stupid the plan to capture a wight was in the first place.

The director, who helmed several episodes in seasons one and two, says “it’s cool that the show is so important to so many people that it’s being scrutinized so thoroughly,” as if he weren’t at all concerned with how much of our Sunday nights and Monday mornings we’re spending on models for the raven’s flight to Dragonstone and Dany’s subsequent flight to Jon’s exact location. He continued: “If the show was struggling, I’d be worried about those concerns, but the show seems to be doing pretty well so it’s OK to have people with those concerns.”
http://www.avclub.com/article/game-t...-strain-259742
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #3143
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I think the humans could easily Dodge those ice Spears. Even Drogon dodged one. He hit Viserion because he was an incoming target and Viserion was focused on the horde at that moment so he didn't see it coming.
He was throwing them with enough velocity to reach very high in the air and with extreme accuracy. The people on that island didn't have very far to move either. He could have pegged a few off pretty easily IMO.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:18 PM   #3144
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Timeline for a raven to fly from point A to point B.

Meh.

Every Sunday I suspend my grasp on reality to watch a fantasy show based around dragons, magic, and zombies. The particulars of the physics required for a raven to fly from point A to B are pretty irrelevant in that context.

Willing suspension of disbelief. It's great. You should try it!

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #3145
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

Meh.

Every Sunday I suspend my grasp on reality to watch a fantasy show based around dragons, magic, and zombies. The particulars of the physics required for a raven to fly from point A to B are pretty irrelevant in that context.

I don't mind those parts as much as the whole characters doing things that are out of character based on what was built up over several seasons or past episodes.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 PM   #3146
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ultimately, the story took precedence over the pacing; there was just too much important stuff to address,
This is the only issue I have. I feel like with 5 minutes extra per episode everything could be explained better. And those 5 minutes would be talking scenes so very low cost relatively speaking.

People of this bored come up with decent explanations for most of the pacing issues, so why not just have the character briefly talk about or show some of these very simplistic explanations.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #3147
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
This is the only issue I have. I feel like with 5 minutes extra per episode everything could be explained better. And those 5 minutes would be talking scenes so very low cost relatively speaking.

People of this bored come up with decent explanations for most of the pacing issues, so why not just have the character briefly talk about or show some of these very simplistic explanations.
It would have taken two lines from the hound.
"It's been 3 days. Where is that effing c-word Gendry and our air evac?
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #3148
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

The problem for me is that time and distance are being used as major plot devices but then ignored whenever its convenient. For example, Tyrion came up with his plan to take advantage of geographical restrictions. The unsullied also became stuck. An episode later a Raven is able to traverse great distances in a few moments.

And 100% these problems could be quite easily fixed with an extra 2-3 seconds of screen time and some attention to detail.

Still loving the show though. It's a bit unfortunate that a show that used to be all about the details has become more of an action set piece though.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #3149
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Meh.

That's your prerogative but it raises the question of why the show was popular in the first place. Game of Thrones was built on its gritty and realistic storytelling. We all understand not everything will be 100% real, but introducing the whole "but there's zombies and dragons therefore nothing needs to make any sense" argument starts to seem like a cop out. Not to mention the fact that taking some liberties with explaining things (that could be easily explained) is fine, but being sloppy when it comes to the storytelling is another. They've definitely sacrificed good story with character motivations and actions that make sense for the sake of cool action scenes and "wow" moments.

In some of the early seasons, they went out of their way to tease big events and then only show us people talking about them after they happened (just like the books did). Literally the exact opposite of what we're getting now. They showed us the character reactions, their plotting, their motivations and their scheming instead of showing us big budget battles.

If you don't care at all for any integrity in the story telling, then you're basically saying that nothing could ever bother you. Or you're saying you have a line, it is just a lot further than ours, which makes you a bit of a hypocrite.

Think about it. What if they decided to just say screw it? Have Jon use his Shinning ability to get Dany's attention and have her jump into a star trek teleporter and beam herself to the Wall or maybe they introduce the idea that Drogon has afterburners and can do mach 2. Then later a dragon eats Thoros' body but he lives inside the dragon like Jonah from the bible. Later when Jon kills the dragon they find Thoros living happily in his belly drinking wine. Maybe they should've shown Melisandre whipping out a defibrillator to resuscitate Jon after he was dead. The Sand Snakes could have been written off the show Poochie style where they just get sucked off screen to get on their spaceship and fly back to their home planet.

But I guess none of that matters because magic, dragons and zombies! All that matters is that it is exciting.

I like this show as much as the next person, but it is hard for me to pretend that they aren't pushing the limits of what I'll reasonably ignore when it comes to poor explanations, weird character motivations for the sake of action and sloppy storytelling.

It is hard not to be reminded of the Mel Gibson/Michael Bay parts of the South Park Imaginationland episodes. "Say what you want about Mel Gibson, but the son of a bitch knows story structure."

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 08-22-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #3150
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by westeros.org
HBO has released details for the final episode of Game of Thrones season 7: "The Dragon and the Wolf"...will have a 79 minute, 43 second running time, making it the longest episode of the series to date.
Guessing the principal characters will know about Jon's heritage by the end of the season.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #3151
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Meh.

Clearly the ravens are trained to use wormholes for travel.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #3152
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Guessing the principal characters will know about Jon's heritage by the end of the season.
I doubt we'll get there. That seems like something that should be left for the post-WW squabbling.

My guess is that we'll see the WWs find a way to get beyond the wall next episode. That seems to be the logical next step to drive the plot forward. Of course that army of the dead, which took like 4 seasons to march from the area just beyond the wall, will probably be threatening Winterfell within ten minutes of the wall coming down
Old 08-22-2017, 03:30 PM   #3153
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe not all of the principal characters, but Jon and Dany at the very least. And their circle of advisors...not sure they would share that info with the Lannisters at the armistice...we'll see!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #3154
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That's your prerogative
Exactly!

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:33 PM   #3155
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I don't mind those parts as much as the whole characters doing things that are out of character based on what was built up over several seasons or past episodes.
Where do you see people behaving out of Character for them?

I think that's one area that they have done a very good job with.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #3156
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't understand why people are getting so worked up about things that "could easily be explained with 2 lines of dialogue".

Okay sure, the Hound could have said "Damnit, where is Gendry, it's been 3 days and that lake is looking like it's freezing over pretty quickly"

Yeah, they could have done that, and then people would say "I can't believe the writers think we are that stupid, show us, don't tell us....that's just lazy writing".

If things are so easy to explain with 2 lines of dialogue, then why do you need them explicitly stated for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
V
Old 08-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #3157
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't understand why people are getting so worked up about things that "could easily be explained with 2 lines of dialogue".

Okay sure, the Hound could have said "Damnit, where is Gendry, it's been 3 days and that lake is looking like it's freezing over pretty quickly"

Yeah, they could have done that, and then people would say "I can't believe the writers think we are that stupid, show us, don't tell us....that's just lazy writing".

If things are so easy to explain with 2 lines of dialogue, then why do you need them explicitly stated for you?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:43 PM   #3158
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Game of Thrones was built on its gritty and realistic storytelling.
If that means, violence, nudity and shocking deaths.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #3159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I doubt we'll get there. That seems like something that should be left for the post-WW squabbling.

My guess is that we'll see the WWs find a way to get beyond the wall next episode. That seems to be the logical next step to drive the plot forward. Of course that army of the dead, which took like 4 seasons to march from the area just beyond the wall, will probably be threatening Winterfell within ten minutes of the wall coming down
Dont drag West World into this! We all know that Westeros is just a part of their bizarre theme park!!

Um....spoiler-alert?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #3160
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If that means, violence, nudity and shocking deaths.
None of that means anything without great characters and superior storytelling.

As for the time issues... the only real issue I've had is Gendry's running and the Ravens. The Dragons I buy being able to fly great distances in short periods but some amount of exposition to explain the time would have been great.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote