Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:
Default Calgary transit - possibly the worst public transportation system in the world!!!

By far the tiest public transportation system in canada maybe even the world!!!!!

Anyone take the trains today? Wtf was up with the ridiculous delays at every single in stop? I went from sait to downtown and it took 45 in mins!!! Each stop we waited for 20mins. Why not do this at night as opposed to rush hour!

And the fact that were having to pay more and more every 6 months for this ass service blows my mind!
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
By far the tiest public transportation system in canada maybe even the world!!!!!

Anyone take the trains today? Wtf was up with the ridiculous delays at every single in stop? I went from sait to downtown and it took 45 in mins!!! Each stop we waited for 20mins. Why not do this at night as opposed to rush hour!

And the fact that were having to pay more and more every 6 months for this ass service blows my mind!

Well I'm not sure the reason, but the fact that there was C-Train shuttle service was probably related... And they probably do it only when someone gets hit or something. Maybe if Calgary had better drivers or smarter pedestrians it wouldn't happen at all? I'm just sayin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not normal. It's really not that bad of a transportation network considering how spread out the city is.

Try Vancouver if you want a real shat show.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

That is the reason why I quit working downtown. I couldn't stand taking the ctrain everyday. Now, my commute takes 10 minutes and I have my own parking spot. Ah, the bliss.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

According to the delightful Barb Higgins on the television, some guy got hit by a train near City Hall (I think). She actually said he "walked into the train". His injuries are "non-life threatening".

I hope his iPod wasn't damaged.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh the joys. I can't wait until my life revolves around that piece of shat.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM   #7
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
According to the delightful Barb Higgins on the television, some guy got hit by a train near City Hall (I think). She actually said he "walked into the train". His injuries are "non-life threatening".

I hope his iPod wasn't damaged.
Change the thread title, maybe? "Calgary transit - service influenced by possibly the dumbest people in the world."
Old 03-31-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know few people in other cities that like their City Transit. It is like the weather. Everyone complains about it no matter where you are.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Calgary's transit is actually pretty good. It's nowhere near as good as Boston or New York, but far better than Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, Vancouver, the list goes on.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Try Toronto's transit and you will learn a whole new meaning of frustration.

I will say it s in general pretty good, since it's quite huge, but the delays, especially the subway, get annoying after awhile. But I guess it's the same everywhere as far as that goes.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
Calgary's transit is actually pretty good. It's nowhere near as good as Boston or New York, but far better than Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, Vancouver, the list goes on.
The C-Train better than the L? I think not.

It's a fairly poor system, doesn't really go to that many places, often delayed, causes associated traffic nightmares, but it's better than nothing. You have to remember that the model transit systems (London, NYC) were first developed over 100 years ago (at least in part), so there's obviously some catching up to do.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
johnnyluv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Madrid's transit is the type I'd love to have in Calgary. There are ten or so different train loops, and the whole thing is a subway system. Mmmm, transit from dowtown to the airport in under 15 minutes...
Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #13
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You could always check out Edmonton's transit system that features one rail line which only serves one quadrant of the city.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenTeaFrapp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Try Vancouver if you want a real shat show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
but far better than Vancouver
This surprises me. When I lived in Vancouver - mind you this is now 4 or so years ago, it was great. I really really liked Vancouver transit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Try Toronto's transit and you will learn a whole new meaning of frustration. I will say it s in general pretty good, since it's quite huge, .
This is also a bit of a surprise to me...I have only taken transit there for 1 weekend, but we have a friend who lives there who really likes the transit system there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
You could always check out Edmonton's transit system that features one rail line which only serves one quadrant of the city.
Ottawa's is not much better in regards to the train

(although I should say I like their transit way system for the busses - a separate roadway system for many of the busses makes a big difference!).
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
Ottawa's is not much better in regards to the train

(although I should say I like their transit way system for the busses - a separate roadway system for many of the busses makes a big difference!).

Ottawa doesn't have a real rail line. The O-Train was only a trial project.

But the Transitway essentially works as a rail line. And with it, pretty much the entire urban and suburban area is close to a Transitway line.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:39 PM   #16
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post

It's a fairly poor system, doesn't really go to that many places, often delayed, causes associated traffic nightmares, but it's better than nothing. You have to remember that the model transit systems (London, NYC) were first developed over 100 years ago (at least in part), so there's obviously some catching up to do.

Have you ridden the L? I found it to be... you know... often delayed, dirty, weird smelling, a guy sitting next to you just peed his pants type of thing.

In any case, few cities have anything on Boston. Really shows why public transit improves quality of life--other cities would do well to sit up and take notice.

As for the other questions, I found Vancouver to be a nightmare, but I've only ridden one time--and Toronto I gather is pretty good. My sister lived there for three years.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would help if the trains stopped hitting people.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #18
MissKat
Watcher of Hockey

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post

i think its the fact that the c-train runs along side traffic lights, so the train has to stop at red lights
and they keep dumping money into train stations to make them look better. honestly i dont think anyone gives a %%%$ how they look as long as they get from point A to point B as quickly as possible.
"Who's that Boston goalies name?...Thomas? Oh ya Thomas Broduer, and who does he play for again? Oh ya Boston, the Boston Hurricanes?" - words from my Idiot bro in law - biggest noob when it comes to hockey.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #19
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was on the train that was sitting beside Olympic plaza when the guy got hit, we had wait for the driver to go to the back of the train and back up to the convention center. We were then told that we had to get to Stampede station to go any further south.

Fun times.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #20
evilcougar
Self-Ban

Exp:

well, it could be like romes train system where its has 2 lines and it runs underground like an X.
they constantly try to build more but can't b/c everytime they excavate they find more ruins.....
but i do agree calgary transit blows. i refuse to take it.

the only other places in the world i've been that i've found acceptable public transit (and i've taken public transit in every place i've been) is NYC and london england. the tube and the subway are the best transit systems ever.
evilcougar is offline   Reply With Quote