Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #281
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ireland once again plays the spoiler and stops England's winning streak at 18, leaving them tied with the all blacks. Of course I say playing spoiler again because it was Ireland who ended New Zealand's winning streak at 18 back in November.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:30 AM   #282
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Ireland once again plays the spoiler and stops England's winning streak at 18, leaving them tied with the all blacks. Of course I say playing spoiler again because it was Ireland who ended New Zealand's winning streak at 18 back in November.
Nice to see Ireland end another streak. Eddie Jones and the English in general were getting too cocky. To be fair to England though they didn't have much to play for having already clinched the Six Nations last week.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #283
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
To be fair to England though they didn't have much to play for having already clinched the Six Nations last week.
I think you are wrong about the not having much to play for part.

If you read any Pommie papers (yes I don't know why anyone would), you would see that the 19 in a row was a huge thing for them.

I think that they might have believed their own hype is closer to the mark.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM   #284
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since when did Canadians start calling Englishmen Pommies?

Anyways, Nigel continuing to benefit the game in a way only he can.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #285
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone else pick up tickets to Canada-Georgia June 10 @ Calgary Rugby Park?

Lots of tickets still available - http://events.rugbycanada.ca/
mac_82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:39 PM   #286
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha, Highlanders coach Tony Brown with a sick burn after beating the useless Rebels 51-12 last night:

Quote:
It was good to score those tries and put away one of the weakest teams in the competition. We’ve got a massive challenge next week against the Blues. I’d say they’re going to be at least three times as good as the Rebels.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:56 PM   #287
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
Anyone else pick up tickets to Canada-Georgia June 10 @ Calgary Rugby Park?

Lots of tickets still available - http://events.rugbycanada.ca/
I haven't, but I likely will. It's not a great venue, but usually a good day.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #288
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Super Rugby Australasian group standings after week 6. Once again the New Zealand teams are dominating while the Australian teams are pathetic. The 5th place Highlanders have more points than the 1st place Brumbies.

Australia:
Brumbies 11
Waratahs 8
Reds 6
Force 5
Rebels 1

New Zealand:
Crusaders 26
Chiefs 24
Hurricanes 20
Blues 15
Highlanders 14
Old 04-03-2017, 11:18 AM   #289
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha, Highlanders coach Tony Brown with a sick burn after beating the useless Rebels 51-12 last night:
Tony Brown, hell of a player on his day.

Quote:
Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #290
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

the coach's opinion of what is wrong/right with the 15's program in Canada (From Apr/2017)

Quote:
Old 04-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #291
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Really good presentation IMO. Hopefully over time they can turn things around because looking ahead to the RWC qualifiers in June doesn't​ give much hope.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #292
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
the coach's opinion of what is wrong/right with the 15's program in Canada (From Apr/2017)

Nice that they state the obvious. You have well over half the players that they pick that are at best part time rugby players. 16 with no rugby at all / so not even playing in the BC Premier League which plays in winter. Why then are they chosen? If these players are serious about making the Canadian team they should be in BC. As the coach says the level may not be high enough but at least they are playing. Rugby Canada should be finding these guys jobs in BC for the ones that are willing to move.

The ones that aren't shouldn't be picked. As he says later on they keep picking guys that are not good enough just to fill in numbers. They added a bunch of young guys which is a good move and added to the base of players in the system.

Get the guys who want to play and are willing to sacrifice moving to BC. Then pump that league as much as possible with better coach's etc. Let the other provinces concentrate on their youth programs and feed into the Premier League either via UBC and UVIC or with other teams that will sponsor players from other provinces.

I really don't see any other way(weather dictating) other than indoor stadiums(would cost a fortune) for them to advance the game.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #293
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Nice that they state the obvious. You have well over half the players that they pick that are at best part time rugby players. 16 with no rugby at all / so not even playing in the BC Premier League which plays in winter. Why then are they chosen? If these players are serious about making the Canadian team they should be in BC. As the coach says the level may not be high enough but at least they are playing. Rugby Canada should be finding these guys jobs in BC for the ones that are willing to move.

The ones that aren't shouldn't be picked. As he says later on they keep picking guys that are not good enough just to fill in numbers. They added a bunch of young guys which is a good move and added to the base of players in the system.

Get the guys who want to play and are willing to sacrifice moving to BC. Then pump that league as much as possible with better coach's etc. Let the other provinces concentrate on their youth programs and feed into the Premier League either via UBC and UVIC or with other teams that will sponsor players from other provinces.

I really don't see any other way(weather dictating) other than indoor stadiums(would cost a fortune) for them to advance the game.
Well he does say that they are trying to get some players to head down to New Zealand and play there. But the fitness angle he goes through sounds pretty bad, but somewhat explanatory for what we've seen over the past couple years. The team can come out and look decent for maybe 50-60 minutes tops, and then fold in the final quarter. There have been a lot of losses where they held the lead and dropped it (and some were significant leads!)

But there are also players overseas all winter. Some aren't playing at all and it sounds like some aren't staying in shape when they are there. Or at least by the time they came back in June they weren't in shape. That sounds like a commitment issue in general?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:30 AM   #294
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

SANZAAR has just announced Super Rugby will be reduced to 15 teams in 2018 with South Africa and Australia being cut back to 4 each. The format will be 3x5 team conferences with Japan moving to the Australian conference. The teams to be cut have not yet been determined but rumours are it will be the Force, Kings, and Cheetahs.

Although it is sad for the fans of those team this had to happen. The existing competition has too much travel, too many bad teams, and a confusing format. This will also help the remaining Australian teams be more competitive as Australian does not have the talent to spread across 5 teams.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:07 PM   #295
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

World Rugby Sevens Series Update Brought to you by HSBC, Cathay Pacific and UCB.

This week: The premier event on the Sevens calendar, the Hong Kong Sevens!

Hong Kong is considered the top Sevens event in the world. I would love to attend this one day.

1st place: Fiji
2nd place: South Africa
3rd place: Australia

Fiji picks up their first win since taking Gold in Rio.

How did Canada do?

Win vs Kenya 17-14
Win vs France 28-14
Loss vs South Africa 26-7
Loss vs Fiji 29-12
Loss vs Argentina 20-19

Overall: 7th place.

Canada continues their rise up the standings and has now passed Wales into 9th place. Also, Nathan Hirayama played in his 50th Sevens match and took over as Canada's all time Sevens point scorer.

There was also a qualification tournament over the weekend. Spain beat Germany in the finals and has qualified for the 2018 series.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 04-09-2017 at 08:25 PM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #296
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
SANZAAR has just announced Super Rugby will be reduced to 15 teams in 2018 with South Africa and Australia being cut back to 4 each. The format will be 3x5 team conferences with Japan moving to the Australian conference. The teams to be cut have not yet been determined but rumours are it will be the Force, Kings, and Cheetahs.

Although it is sad for the fans of those team this had to happen. The existing competition has too much travel, too many bad teams, and a confusing format. This will also help the remaining Australian teams be more competitive as Australian does not have the talent to spread across 5 teams.
Kings and force are a no brainer, theyve never been competitive and don't draw much of a crowd. Bummer for cheetahs fans though. Does this mean they're going back to the old 6 team playoff format as well?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:26 PM   #297
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kings and force are a no brainer, theyve never been competitive and don't draw much of a crowd. Bummer for cheetahs fans though. Does this mean they're going back to the old 6 team playoff format as well?
They are keeping the 8 team playoff format. The 3 division winners and 5 wild cards.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #298
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
####ing travesty if the Cheetahs go.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #299
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post

If all of Canada, save 1 province plays a summer season, perhaps BC should change to a summer season.

I whole heartily disagree with having to move to BC. It is, IMO, a backwards approach. If the end goal of RC is to grow rugby via a pro or semi-pro league there needs to be a unified season.

I know of a number of players that were "lost" to RC because they didn't want to move to BC.

Quote:
Old 04-11-2017, 08:08 AM   #300
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

High school rugby season starts today in Calgary (at least for us). Rain/snow in the forecast and cold temperatures, should be fun to play in but not quite as much fun to be a spectator.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote