Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #2181
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game of Thrones was initially published in 1996.

EDIT: Whoops, misread that you started it in the early aughts. My bad.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #2182
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think the show passing the books should take a bunch of pressure off of him. At first people were really all over him to finish. Which may be helpful for Martin because he has said in the past that the pressure of writing is one of the causes for delays and that he has a habit of writing stuff then going back and changing it.

At this point I think most people aren't too worried about it. It has been so long, eventually it becomes hard to care too much when the delays add up. And if that means someone else finishes the books, I guess we have to deal with it.

I'm tempted to post a gif from Rocky IV but that would probably be in bad taste.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #2183
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

HBO trolling Lady Stoneheart fans with the newest TV trailer?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #2184
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
HBO trolling Lady Stoneheart fans with the newest TV trailer?

How's that? He had the flaming sword in his battle against the Hound
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #2185
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Man I am so glad they re cast that character and kept him alive in the show.

Imagine this dweeb with that sword, not nearly as cool:

Spoiler!
Old 06-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #2186
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
How's that? He had the flaming sword in his battle against the Hound
Just that without Lady Stoneheart there really isn't any reason for Dondarrion and his merry band of misfits to be in the show is there? There some reasons to think that LS would be in the show at various points, but that never happened, I think HBO keeps him around to keep the LS fans salty now EDIT: Other than I guess a flaming sword, which for a TV show is probably sufficient.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM   #2187
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Pretty clear shot of the Hound, Beric and Jon fighting back to back against the white walkers in the trailer, so I guess the reason they kept them around was to send them North..
Old 06-22-2017, 01:28 PM   #2188
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things I want to play out before the end of the series:
  • Arya kills Littlefinger
  • Jamie kills Cersei
  • Jon and Tyrion ride dragons
  • Bran wargs into a dragon
  • Hound and Mountain throwdown
  • Sansa and Arya reunite and reconcile
  • Dany reunites the seven kingdoms and gets the Iron Throne
  • I can't think of anything involving Dorne or the Iron Islands
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM   #2189
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want the Night's King on the Iron Throne

edit: god dammit, I posted this in the book nerds thread.

Last edited by nik-; 06-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #2190
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ultimate "everything is terrible" ending would be Littlefinger on the throne. I'd be furious and love it at the same time.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #2191
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it wouldn't be a GoT season without posters frothing at the mouth over "book readers"...

Euron Greyjoy is going to find a gift to woo the woman who has everything... That must be a lead in to revealing Dragonbinder, and his plan to steal a dragon, right?
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #2192
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, that's probably going to be the direction it goes -- but that also would seem weird, since there's been no build up to it. I'm interested to see where the show goes with this thread as everything else accelerates to the series finale.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #2193
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with things coming to a climax, I was thinking about some of the prophesies. I put this here because I'm not sure all of this lore was included in the show.

Cercei and Maggy the Frog:
Quote:
Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.
All of Maggy's prophesies have come true. This would say that Cercei will not have another child, so is she lying or simply will she die before she can give birth. The sacond part; "valongar" is High Valarian for "little brother". So it would seem to me that Tyrion will kill Cercei. Jamie is the younger twin, but since he is missing a hand and the prophesy says "hands", Tyrion it is.

Then I started thinking about the other prominent prophesy - the House of The Undying.
Quote:
A beautiful, naked woman being ravished by four little men who resemble the dwarf servitor.
A feast of slaughtered corpses holding cups, spoons, and food, with a dead man with a wolf's head sitting on a throne wearing an iron crown, apparently foreshadowing the Red Wedding.
Daenerys' childhood home with the red door in Braavos.
A throne room with dragon skulls on the walls where a king resembling Aerys II Targaryen sits on a barbed throne and appears to give the order to burn the Red Keep during the Sack of King's Landing.
A room where a silver-haired man (presumably Rhaegar Targaryen) names his son Aegon, says the child is "the prince that was promised", then plays a harp.
A "splendor of wizards" who falsely claim to be the Undying of Qarth and offer to teach Daenerys the secret speech of dragonkind.
Quote:
Upon reaching the chamber of the Undying, Daenerys is spoken to in a barely perceptible whisper. The Undying call her "mother of dragons" and "child of three" and tell her some prophesies, saying "three fires must you light... one for life and one for death and one to love... three mounts must you ride... one to bed and one to dread and one to love... three treasons will you know... once for blood and once for gold and once for love..."
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...of_the_Undying

So with the ominous Tyrion boat scene, is he going to betray Dani? Has he already done so in the discussion with Cercei we couldn't see?
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 AM   #2194
Hessen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://sports.yahoo.com/george-r-r-...163708418.html

GRRM interviewed about The Winds of Winter and another series about House Targaryen.
Hessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #2195
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Meh whatever, I'm at the acceptance stage. I'd rather him enjoy what he writes instead of being forced to finish and publishing a mediocre book.

Brandon Sanderson is my go to fantasy author for now haha.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #2196
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should be clear by now to even the most unwaveringly optimistic fanboy that GRRM has come to hate writing the Song of Ice and Fire books. He'll seize on any project in preference to Winds of Winter. Classic tactics of someone putting off something they dread.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #2197
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I think the best parts of ASOIAF are behind us anyway. It's pretty hard to beat what we have read so far and I personally though the last book was a big step down. Books 1-4 is how I will always remember this series. And if the next few books are going to be anything like where they took the TV show then I am fine with saving myself thousands of pages I would rather donate to authors who are still in love with their series.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:20 PM   #2198
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I think the best parts of ASOIAF are behind us anyway. It's pretty hard to beat what we have read so far and I personally though the last book was a big step down. Books 1-4 is how I will always remember this series. And if the next few books are going to be anything like where they took the TV show then I am fine with saving myself thousands of pages I would rather donate to authors who are still in love with their series.
Same here. I used to be so excited hoping he'd put out another book, and now I'm pretty meh on the whole thing. I don't watch the TV show (I've stopped somewhere mid-season 6) so don't even care if he goes 'that way' either. It just doesn't have the interest to me that it used to.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #2199
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

At this point, I expect Winds of Winter to be one page that only says, "You watched the show. Let's just say that's what happened." Followed by 800 blank pages.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:58 PM   #2200
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Not this year either boys (if at all really):

GRRM Confirms Winds of Winter Will Not Come Out in 2018

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2018/04/2...me-out-in-2018
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming