Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #41
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
But is he better than Monahan and Backlund? Come on man, there are a bunch of Ben Street's out there who are either playing in the AHL or not playing at all. Anybody can go out and skate and work hard, does not mean they should be centering the 1st line.
I'd say it's more to do with not wanting to mess with the chemistry the Backlund-Hudler-Galiardi and Baertschi-Monahan-Stempniak lines have right now.

Those lines are clicking, so there's no point in breaking them up, which leaves either Street or Colborne to centre Glencross and Jones.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #42
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I highly doubt the Street line gets #1 line minutes tonight. I think the Backlund and Monahan lines are #1 and #2. It's debatable which one is which, but the Street line is obviously line #3.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #43
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glencross-Whoever-Jones is going to get all the tough defensive assignments, why would they put Monahan on that line?

They don't want to break up the Hudler-Backlund-Galiardi line which has started to develop chemistry and they want to Shelter the young guys from the tough defensive matchups.

On the current roster that leaves Ben Street to center the Glencross line and take the defensive minutes. Makes sense to me.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #44
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
.I only hope our veterans continue to lead this rebuild by example.

Im glad they are showing these rookies how a rebuild is done. Giveaways at the blueline, turnovers behind our own net, soft goals - all key if we are going to have a top 3 pick. Score lots of goals so there are good stat lines to flip for more talent or picks later in the season, but be sure not to win many games.

Cant get too many points too early on. The veterans get it, but the rookies are playing too well defensively. That needs to change
LOL. Glad to see there is a plan in place. From the way the Flames have played for most of each game, I was worried that we may not finish in the bottom 3 after all. Thank goodness our vets are coming through with those last minute clutch plays for the team.

Besides, losing builds character, doesn't it?
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rerun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #45
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I thini Baertschi Monahan Stempniak is our top line
It's not. They haven't gotten any of the things that are usually associated with "top lines" (heavier or at least even defensive assignments, relatively more icetime, relatively more special team play).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #46
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't stand when there's two nights off in between games. This is my only contribution to this thread.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #47
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Counting players dressed for game only:

Flames Salary Cap Hit: $37,641,667
Habs Salary Cap Hit: $55,938,333
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #48
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Don't sell your tickets to Habs fans.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #49
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

it would be awesome for the Flames re-build if their top scorers were kids like it is for the Habs
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #50
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Flames gotta win this one so I can hold it over Mrs Puppet's head.

Wait for it....
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #51
EM11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Predicting that good things continue to happen for the Flames. The wheels will come off later. That's ok with me - this will solidify some team bonding and loyalty to the coach and get us through the rest of a tough year.

Watching them right now is nervy business because there is no actual reason to expect a win, but I desperately want one anyways. Go Flames.
EM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #52
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Did I hear right this morning.. Peter Maher said the Habs haven't won here since 2002?
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #53
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
But is he better than Monahan and Backlund? Come on man, there are a bunch of Ben Street's out there who are either playing in the AHL or not playing at all. Anybody can go out and skate and work hard, does not mean they should be centering the 1st line.
Well it's either that or have Street play with Sven or Hudler. I prefer to have Monahan with Sven to develop chemistry and Backlund with Hudler for the same reason. Those 4 guys all think the game at a higher level and need to play with each other.

Street, Glencross, and Jones play a simple game and have shown some chemistry. Ideally, we'd have someone better at than Street to centre our two power forwards but Colbourne hasn't shown enough yet and we don't have anyone else yet. I think for now, Street is our best option there till either Colbourne turns his game up or one of Knight or Horak start showing that they belong in the NHL permanently. Street outplayed both those guys in training camp.

Plus I also think that Hartley believes Street is Joe Sakic cause he really looks like him ;p

Last edited by 868904; 10-09-2013 at 09:29 AM.
868904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #54
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

As long as we work hard, we're competitive, and we have a chance of winning, I don't mind losing.
You know what they say.... no pain, no gain.
I'd rather do the short term pain now, than have to endure what we have for the last 6 or 7 years.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #55
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Don't sell your tickets to Habs fans.
No need to worry. I always attend the annual Habs home game in my 1989 Stanley Cup Champions jersey. It's hilarious to watch the Habs fans at the dome go from cocky, arrogant and supportive of their team and players when the Habs have a 1-0 lead in the first period, to booing and trying to run the goalie and other players out of town after they fall behind 2-1 in the second!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #56
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
Did I hear right this morning.. Peter Maher said the Habs haven't won here since 2002?
True - but they didn't always visit every year.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #57
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
No need to worry. I always attend the annual Habs home game in my 1989 Stanley Cup Champions jersey. It's hilarious to watch the Habs fans at the dome go from cocky, arrogant and supportive of their team and players when the Habs have a 1-0 lead in the first period, to booing and trying to run the goalie and other players out of town after they fall behind 2-1 in the second!
Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #58
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am going to the game .
Last game I was at was April 03/13 Flames vs Oilers. Flames got trounced 8-2
I hope for a far better result than that one.
Looking forward to seeing the Habs I have never seen a Flames vs Habs game live.

Prediction 4-3 Flames
Monahan scores again! Sven with his first of the year.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #59
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know the 5on5 effort will be there tonight, but I really want to see some progress on special teams. It will be the reason we lose this year more than defense or goaltending.

PK has been spotty, and that's all about winning face-offs, effort, positioning, and a key save now and then, so I'm not expecting them to be top half in the league, but they should be better.

PP is about talent for sure, but having a cohesive system of puck movement and positioning is vital as well. We have enough goal scorers and passers to put the puck in the net, and the defense (Wideman, Giordano, Brodie, Russell) definitely has enough offensive talent to contribute, so we should be top half in the league with a half decent system. Weirdly, it seems like they don't try as hard once they get a PP, relying on skills rather than hard work. I would like to see them outwork the opposition a little more on the PP.

I also want to see a better effort from Glencross tonight. He knows he made a brutal play last game and that usually means we will see him trying to be more of a factor in the next game. If he doesn't show up tonight I'll be a little worried about his head space going forward.

Joey Mac was brutal on a couple of goals last game, but he also made some amazing saves. Hopefully he's just working out the kinks early in the year and he comes with a more consistent effort tonight. I don't care who our goalie is going forward, I just want them to give us a chance to win.

Canadiens are talented, but not the most physical bunch. I expect the Flames to dominate the physical game and out hustle them badly. Flames continue to learn from past mistakes and keep the lead for once.

Bold prediction: 4-1 Flames.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #60
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
3/6/12: 5-4 W
2/20/11: 4-0 W Heritage Classic
10/6/09: 4-3 W
2/9/09: 6-2 W
1/19/06: 3-2 W
11/20/03: 2-1 W
12/31/02: 1-1 T

(yes there was a period of over 5 years in there where the Canadiens only came to Calgary one time)
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:

Tags
gtd , keepgettingpoints , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin