Weber/Keith/Doughty/Petro/Seabrook

last 3 or 4 being made up of

Subban/Letang/Hamhuis/Boyle/Bouwmeester
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Won't be the same without our once captain manning the top line alongside Sid.

I'll be cheering, but there won't be much of a personal connection to this Canadian team at all. I'll bet it comes down to an OT game for the gold again.. and one of the new guys gets a nice play in deep, with Crosby positioned in front of the net. Then "x" new guy sends a pass meant for Crosby but is completely off, Crosby yells some string of profanity. Then the play turns the other way, and opposing team "y" puts it in for the gold on the rush. Later it will be revealed that Crosby was muttering "where the f### is Iggy? ####!"
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #23
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Eberle is on the list.

Surprised by Benn and some of the defensemen there are very surprising and hopefully only there to provide warm bodies if they do run drills.

Methot is especially odd as he has no business being within 1000 miles of a Team Canada Olympic team.
I think you mean 1609 kilometers...
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:21 PM   #24
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Crazy that Chris Kunitz gets an invite over Iginla. If you would have suggested that this time last year, people would go crazy over that.

Kind of funny to see Phaneuf there. I would rather have Gio then Phaneuf.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #25
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Benn is only a slight surprise to me, as I am not sure his game would necessarily translate well to the international ice surface. Spezza might be deserving of an invite, but would be a long shot to actually make it, in any event.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #26
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Team A:

St. Louis Crosby Stamkos
Nash Tavares Giroux
E. Staal Toews Perry
Bergeron Getzlaf Duchene

Weber Doughty
Keith Seabrook
M. Staal Pietrangelo
Letang

Luongo
Price
Crawford

Team B:

Neal Couture Sharp
Carter M. Richards Marchand
Hall Thornton Eberle
Ladd J. Staal Kunitz

Subban Bouwmeester
Phaneuf Hamhuis
Methot Vlasic
Alzner

Smith
Holtby
Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #27
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Benn is only a slight surprise to me, as I am not sure his game would necessarily translate well to the international ice surface. Spezza might be deserving of an invite, but would be a long shot to actually make it, in any event.
Benn would be a much better choice and fit for the tournament than either Lucic or Marchand and although a natural Center Spezza is likely better as a converted winger over those two as well.

I would take Benn and Spezza over those two, Eberle, Ladd, Neal and Kunitz easily. But expect all those guys to be early cuts when the time comes anyways so likely not a big deal.

Ladd, Lucic and Marchand especially odd selections other than to maybe reward Ladd for going to the WHC recently and reward the Bruins for SFC runs lately.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Benn would be a much better choice and fit for the tournament than either Lucic or Marchand and although a natural Center Spezza is likely better as a converted winger over those two as well.

I would take Benn and Spezza over those two, Eberle, Ladd, Neal and Kunitz easily. But expect all those guys to be early cuts when the time comes anyways so likely not a big deal.

Ladd, Lucic and Marchand especially odd selections other than to maybe reward Ladd for going to the WHC recently and reward the Bruins for SFC runs lately.
I don't see any of those guys actually making the team either, although Ladd and Marchand add an intriguing sandpaper element. Not a good fit for Sochi, however.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #29
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol phaneuf
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #30
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ladd makes sense in the third line role that Canada has always had recently. Issue is he is not better than Bergeron, Toews, or Richards for that role.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #31
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It really shouldn't be any surprise that Iginla is not invited. Based on play he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near that camp.

As a guy who is always cheering for Iggy, I do hope this serves as a wakeup call for him to get his act together.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #32
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Ladd makes sense in the third line role that Canada has always had recently. Issue is he is not better than Bergeron, Toews, or Richards for that role.
I think Canada has so many guys better defensively that also offer a lot more offense and without the stupidity of Ladd tough to see him making Canada C in my books but he has been a good soldier going over to WHC's so understand they give him the reward.

He is not a guy I would want on the Flames so tough to see him listed with the top hockey players in the country when much better guys are left off.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I don't see any of those guys actually making the team either, although Ladd and Marchand add an intriguing sandpaper element. Not a good fit for Sochi, however.

I like Ladd, he is a big boy. He was near a point a game last season. 48GP, 46 Pts.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #34
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKCHECK!!! View Post
It is often said that the Olympics is a tournament where the team that can establish a system and build chemistry the fastest has the best shot.

The Russians have their top available guys come to the WC pretty much every year, and are playing with line combos and pairings that they are going to use for the real thing. They are working to build this chemistry years in advance.

And Canada won't even have a camp?

This is why I think WC participation should be a major factor in determining who makes the Canadian Olympic team. Not the only factor, obviously, but a major one.

The World Championships should essentially be a development program for the Olympic Team. They should be using the same line combos, tactics, equipment guys, and gaining familiarity with the guys they will face in the Olympics. Heck they should have the coaches wearing flippin cardboard cut-out masks of Mike Babcock.

Not "Let's have a meeting 8 months beforehand."
I don't think that leaving off the guys who are playing deep into the playoffs and winning series against the best teams in the world in favor of guys who didn't make the playoffs and bowed out early is a really smart way to build a winning team.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #35
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
It really shouldn't be any surprise that Iginla is not invited. Based on play he doesn't deserve to be anywhere near that camp.

As a guy who is always cheering for Iggy, I do hope this serves as a wakeup call for him to get his act together.
I am not really sure it has anything to do with him getting his act together and everything to do with him just being too old for an elite level team. There is one forward older than him and 3 (Thornton, Sharp, Kunitz) even close to his age.

St. Louis and Thornton are pure skill guys who have an easier time keeping their game at a high level and Sharp and especially Kunitz are long shots to make it.

This is a team for guys in their 20's and no shame in a 34 year old Iginla (who likely makes every other countries team) in not being included.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
I don't think that leaving off the guys who are playing deep into the playoffs and winning series against the best teams in the world in favor of guys who didn't make the playoffs and bowed out early is a really smart way to build a winning team.

"Success Through Failure" I believe that is on the Oiler's business cards.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #37
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Marc methot is that some type of joke?
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #38
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think if it was NHL Ice Iginla gets the invite but in no way do I see him being able to play his game on international ice at the stage he's at now.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #39
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Where is Justin Schultz?!
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLFan View Post
Marc methot is that some type of joke?
I didn't watch him play much last year but by all accounts he was awesome for the Sens and was a big reason they were able to hold on during all the injury trouble they had.

He won't make the team but he is getting recognized for what was a very strong season last year. A very underrated defensive d-man.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote