Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07 AM   #41
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Basically it means 4th Generation not a 4G network. The next gen iPhone is not expected to use a 4G network.
That would be horrible. The 4G iPhone would not work on 4G networks and you would need to wait for the 5G iPhone?

They should then continue with the iPhone 3GS-2 or something....
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #42
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking at the Droid now, it looks really really good. Never really considered Telus before though, have heard a lot of bad stories about them. Although I guess it's really just par for the course in terms of phone companies.

Been with Rogers for 5 years and been unimpressed, but maybe I can squeeze a crazy retention deal now that I have something I actually really like from another company.

I was worried about the 500MB data limit, but seeing FanIn80's post about his iPhone (and oh, we all know he loves his iPhone ) makes me feel a lot better just getting the basic data plan rather than splurging.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #43
Russic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Looking at the Droid now, it looks really really good. Never really considered Telus before though, have heard a lot of bad stories about them. Although I guess it's really just par for the course in terms of phone companies.

Been with Rogers for 5 years and been unimpressed, but maybe I can squeeze a crazy retention deal now that I have something I actually really like from another company.

I was worried about the 500MB data limit, but seeing FanIn80's post about his iPhone (and oh, we all know he loves his iPhone ) makes me feel a lot better just getting the basic data plan rather than splurging.
Oh ya there's no way in hell you'll go over 500mb of data even with heavy usage. There were weeks where I completely forgot to turn my wifi on and I never managed to get over 400 mb (and I'm on a train 2 hrs/day).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:32 AM   #44
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
That would be horrible. The 4G iPhone would not work on 4G networks and you would need to wait for the 5G iPhone?

They should then continue with the iPhone 3GS-2 or something....
People are just calling the thing a 4G because it's the 4th generation. I don't know if Apple will call it 4G. The 3G was named 3G because it uses the 3G network.

4G network availability in North America isn't wide enough to garner targetting the iPhone to it. Otherwise Apple opens themselves up to a LOT of criticism about performance.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #45
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well, with the new Telus network my download speeds are around 3mbps. Do you actually need anything faster?

3mbps on a computer is fast enough to watch HD video.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM   #46
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post

If you go with Telus and their new smart phone plans you can get 200 min, unlimited texting, 1gig data, caller ID for $72/month.

You can switch a few things around too. Say take double min, 1 gig data, and caller id along with unlimited text messaging for $80/month.

Or you can take the smaller plan which gives you 500mb of data, 100 min, choice of fav 5 to text, unlimited text messages(incoming and outgoing) or double your min. If you add caller ID for $7/month it costs $57.

Move things around, say go with the 200 min, 500mb data, caller ID and text messaging add on for $15, and you're at $65/month.

And you can switch your plan anytime you want.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #47
QuadCityImages
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I wouldn't be so sure that you won't need more data. I haven't used less than a gig in a single month since I got my Droid. For example, an hour long video podcast of This Week in Tech with Leo Laporte is about 120 megabytes. I also watch This Week in Google. So there you've got basically a gig a month for 2 video podcasts a week.
QuadCityImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #48
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
I just bought a Nexus One going with Wind. I need the unlimited data. I am not keeping any music on my phone proper. I will use the Subsonic app to stream music from my home server to my phone thereby allowing me to have access to my entire music library over 3g. The Subsonic app locally caches all of the songs you stream so you have a local copy incase you are out of range.

With that said, if I stream 30 hours of 128k a month then that is 1.7GB. I would preferably stream 192k and listen to the same amount or more. Anyway, cool app. Subsonic is a great program btw.

That's pretty effin' cool. Technology is amazing.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM   #49
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

^^ Are you kidding me? The near 1Hr length CP Radio podcasts are less than 20MB. What the heck kind of high-bit rate podcast are you listening to? Or are you entering into hyperbole?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #50
Russic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I wouldn't be so sure that you won't need more data. I haven't used less than a gig in a single month since I got my Droid. For example, an hour long video podcast of This Week in Tech with Leo Laporte is about 120 megabytes. I also watch This Week in Google. So there you've got basically a gig a month for 2 video podcasts a week.
Wow ... there's no real reason for you to be streaming those to your phone is there? Why not just load it onto the phone? I don't think that represents standard usage.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #51
Pastiche
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
^^ Are you kidding me? The near 1Hr length CP Radio podcasts are less than 20MB. What the heck kind of high-bit rate podcast are you listening to? Or are you entering into hyperbole?
Well I used this calculator: http://www.orbitalgrooves.com/bandwidthcalculator.php

30 hours of 128kbps is 1.7gigs.

Anyway, for those with a server or who can wake their computers remotely check out subsonic here:

http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

here's the app:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va9DtFeG7cA
Pastiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #52
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I assume you watch them at work? Why not go through Wifi?

That is what I do. And my Wifi usage is about 100meg per week.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #53
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a new phone. My contract is up in July with Telus and I'm not keen to jump to an iPhone since I already have a 32gb iTouch. Any suggestions, thinking nexus one or a blackberry.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #54
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They are video podcasts that are around an hour in length.

http://twit.tv/

Good site BTW.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #55
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I need a new phone. My contract is up in July with Telus and I'm not keen to jump to an iPhone since I already have a 32gb iTouch. Any suggestions, thinking nexus one or a blackberry.
Depends what you want.

If you're just texting and emailing with your phone, the blackberry is pretty good.

If you want to browse more, maybe get a few apps, then you go with the Nexus One.

Personally I'd take the Milestone/Droid, but I have no idea what the Nexus One is like.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #56
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wary of motorola. Who makes the droid??
Old 04-06-2010, 03:30 PM   #57
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Motorola.

The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #58
Russic
Franchise Player

Exp:

HTC makes the Nexus One do they not? If not going for the iPhone i'd recommend you give the Nexus a try.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #59
narbeZ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just lost the entire post I was just going to type which would probably CRASH CP about Blackberry vs iPhone. Ill make this short since I'm mad I lost it.

I've had an iPhone for 7 months now, and all I can tell you is it's "aura" faded within the first month.

Before the iPhone I had Blackberry's(Pearl,Storm,Bold).

I was pretty satisfied with my BB's but bought into the hype of the iPhone.

There is one thing the iPhone does 100X better then a blackberry. Internet browsing. Its faster, easier, snappier you name it. If one of your requirements for a phone is to be able to access information on the internet then the iPhone is the phone for you. This is the sole reason why I still use an iPhone.

The Blackberry is better at(from my experience):

-Multitasking
-Push Notifications
-Camera (Most BB's come with flash and higher MP's)
-Email
-Bluetooth(Works way better then the iPhone's)
-Blackberry App World has grown and includes a lot of iPhone's premier APPS.
-Canadian Company
-Works better as a "Phone"
- Has a removable battery, and doesn't DIE HARD like the iPhone.

I had way more in the post I lost, but that's all i'm saying. If the main function you want to use your phone for is Internet browsing and of course MUSIC. The iPhone is the phone for you.

Last edited by narbeZ; 04-06-2010 at 03:47 PM.
narbeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to narbeZ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #60
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
HTC makes the Nexus One do they not? If not going for the iPhone i'd recommend you give the Nexus a try.
Is HTC any good?? Their phones always seem like cheap knock offs.