Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #1601
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.
Awesome episode. Fallon always seems to be having a good time and it comes through the screen. oh oh oh oh, party at my parents house!
Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #1602
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump has made SNL great again.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:24 AM   #1603
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

SNL hasn't been that good the past couple of weeks but I actually really enjoyed weekend update this week.

Hap!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:40 AM   #1604
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible episode last week.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #1605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I would agree, it just wasn't over the top funny, I did enjoy the music video.

But other then that I can't even step up and think of a skit that defined the show.

And that musical act just was horrible.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #1606
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And that musical act just was horrible.
You can say that again... Having said that, other than Bruno Mars' performance, I can"t recall a really good one this season. And I don't even like or listen to Bruno Mars' music. It was just a good quality performance. I have no idea what drives the musical guest selection anymore. It used to be true popularity. They have been running old SNL episodes on Saturday evenings for some time now and almost every re-run episode has a bona-fide star musical guest in it. Nowadays, it's mostly performers being hyped/pumped.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:13 PM   #1607
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I thought LCD Soundsystem did a really good job. Other than the hilarious/distracting dancing from the synth guy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 PM   #1608
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
You can say that again... Having said that, other than Bruno Mars' performance, I can"t recall a really good one this season. And I don't even like or listen to Bruno Mars' music. It was just a good quality performance. I have no idea what drives the musical guest selection anymore. It used to be true popularity. They have been running old SNL episodes on Saturday evenings for some time now and almost every re-run episode has a bona-fide star musical guest in it. Nowadays, it's mostly performers being hyped/pumped.
I find that I'm far more interested in the reruns that they show for an hour than the new episodes now. McCarthy could be good this week though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:34 PM   #1609
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I typically just skip the musical guest, as 98% of the time I have no clue who they are and really don't care to find out.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:45 PM   #1610
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
You've said this before and I think you're wrong. SNL has consistently had a mix of star musicians and indie/up-and-comers.

Look at the previous seasons to see for yourself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sodes#Episodes
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #1611
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did before I posted, actually, as I wanted to check it myself. Compare the ratio of stars vs. up-and-comers in 2005 and 2017 lineups. It is quite skewed towards stars in 2005 and gets worse every year thereafter.

SNL can get pretty much anyone they want - their connections and reputation are up there with the biggest music superstars. Yet, they choose to invite a lot of unknown and unproven performers based on something that is difficult to understand (musical editors' tastes? network's suggestions? money paid to SNL? critics' reviews? other criteria?). That was my point - it doesn't appear to be based on ratings or sales.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #1612
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Why 2005? Look at 2004. Modest Mouse and Scissor Sisters weren't stars. It's the same story almost ever year. Go back to the beginning and they had Gil Scot Heron and Patti Smith who were critical darlings but not household names.

What's wrong with unproven performers? I'm glad they don't just have flavour of the month hitmakers on.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #1613
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

By my count this season featured 4 critical darlings, and 17 big chart pop stars.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:22 PM   #1614
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I did before I posted, actually, as I wanted to check it myself. Compare the ratio of stars vs. up-and-comers in 2005 and 2017 lineups. It is quite skewed towards stars in 2005 and gets worse every year thereafter.

SNL can get pretty much anyone they want - their connections and reputation are up there with the biggest music superstars. Yet, they choose to invite a lot of unknown and unproven performers based on something that is difficult to understand (musical editors' tastes? network's suggestions? money paid to SNL? critics' reviews? other criteria?). That was my point - it doesn't appear to be based on ratings or sales.
What are you talking about? They've had some of the biggest names in music on the show this year. I think this opinion is more indicative of your musical taste or knowledge vs actual hype and sales. This season has been heavily weighted with top billing performers.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #1615
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you liked it, great. They catered to your tastes and musical knowledge, not mine. No sense in arguing then.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #1616
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
I typically just skip the musical guest, as 98% of the time I have no clue who they are and really don't care to find out.
Yup. I'll give them a chance at first, because I realize my music IQ is woefully low and could use a boost. But if I'm not completely sold in 30sec tops, I'm skipping.

I skip the monologue a lot too, especially if I don't really know them, as it usually just turns into a song & dance number anyway. There's the odd guest character on WU I'm not big on either who tend to overstay their welcome, I'll skip those sometimes. It's amazing how quick you can get through an episode if you skip all that stuff haha
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #1617
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
If you liked it, great. They catered to your tastes and musical knowledge, not mine. No sense in arguing then.
It's not about something as subjective as taste. You said they didn't appear to be getting musical guests based on ratings or sales, which considering the high profile and huge popularity of most of their musical guests this year... is wrong.

They've had some of the biggest names in music this year. It's been a good year if you like popular stuff.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 PM   #1618
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

LCD Soundsystem is about as big as it gets for me and my buddies who are into the same music. But my wife wouldn't recognize the name although she would likely recognize some of the songs just from all the time she's heard them being played in the car. Some people just don't care about popular music. For my wife -- if it's something she can't sing karaoke to, she couldn't care less. Of course, when we were dating, we went to a bunch of live indie shows and she told me at the time she really enjoyed them. Clearly it was all an act to trap me!
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 01:22 AM   #1619
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I liked the 'Where in the World is Kelly Anne Conway?' skit.

As for music, every artist this season but one (Maren Morris) had their last album in the Billboard top 10. Thirteen went #1 in the US or UK.

The Weeknd- #1 2016
21 Pilots- #1 2016
Bruno Mars- #2 2014 (surprised this never got to #1)
Lady Gaga- #1 2016
Solange- #1 2016
Tribe Called Quest- #1 2016
The XX- #2, UK #1 2017
Shawn Mendes- #1 2016
Maren Morris- #1 Country 2016
Chance The Rapper- #8 2016
Sturgill Simpson- #3, #1 Country 2016
Big Sean- #1 2017
Alessia Cara- #9 2016
Ed Sheeran- #1 2017
Father John Misty- #10 2017
Lorde- #3 2013
Chainsmokers- #1 2017
Harry Styles (One Direction)- #2, UK #1 2015
LCD Soundsystem- #10 2010
Haim- #6, UK #1 2013
Katy Perry- #1 2013

Maybe artists don't transcend genres as much these days, but these are all pretty successful acts. Although I'm not sure if most Canadians would even know who Alessia Cara is.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2017, 07:30 AM   #1620
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The state of popular music in 2017 makes me want to blow my head off.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post: