Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-31-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Shutting this down sets a terrible precedent for any future hearings.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #22
DiracSpike
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just...I don't get it. Pipeline are clearly superior, they're safe and the least carbon intensive method of transportation. It'll actually reduce cardon emissions to have this pipeline go through so that less oil gets shipped to Quebec from Saudi. How much carbon do you think gets spewed by a friggin oil tanker shipping from the other side of the planet? In addition it allows more value creation in Canada which can go to the social programs I'm assuming these people love. So you have a project that uses no public funds, is better for the environment, and creates value at home, but these brainwashed idiots are against it. Oh, and all this in a province that had an entire town wiped off the map by an oil carrying train.

Canada is such a nation of boy scouts, any other country in the world would have just built this already along with the LNG terminals and west coast pipelines.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 09:05 AM   #23
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I just...I don't get it. Pipeline are clearly superior, they're safe and the least carbon intensive method of transportation. It'll actually reduce cardon emissions to have this pipeline go through so that less oil gets shipped to Quebec from Saudi. How much carbon do you think gets spewed by a friggin oil tanker shipping from the other side of the planet? In addition it allows more value creation in Canada which can go to the social programs I'm assuming these people love. So you have a project that uses no public funds, is better for the environment, and creates value at home, but these brainwashed idiots are against it. Oh, and all this in a province that had an entire town wiped off the map by an oil carrying train.

Canada is such a nation of boy scouts, any other country in the world would have just built this already along with the LNG terminals and west coast pipelines.
This is not about pipelines anymore. This is politics and money.

The First Nations see this as their best gambit to extract more money out of the Federal government, who they see as profiting from the resources they have a claim too. Note that I don't agree with this position.

Yes, there are Luddites out there who will say no to any resource extraction, but the First Nations lie at the heart of the issue here. In BC the situation is even worse because technically the First Nations have no treaty there with the BC government or the Federal government (hence the moniker used by social activists in BC - "unceded land". So unless we force new sets of laws we don't have a legal framework (however dated it might be) to work from.

We will have to work out a grand bargain with FN, that's the only way we will get some kind of agreement. And it will involve a bag of cash.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #24
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada makes me sad.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #25
puckedoff
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Canadian economy shrinks in second quarter; biggest drop in 7 years.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadas-ec...-business.html

The disasters are piling up quickly.
Someone should check their numbers because that doesn't sound right. I thought we had tripled our output of Resourcefulness?
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 AM   #26
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post

It really is infuriating when you think about it.

Can't build pipelines to the East, can't have LNG in the West. We're screwing ourselves over big time, it's incredibly frustrating and sad to see.
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #27
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Someone should check their numbers because that doesn't sound right. I thought we had tripled our output of Resourcefulness?
Dont forget about Canada's Political Selfies By Politician Per day (PSPPD) has increased ten fold since the libs took power.

Thats got to have some fiscal merit
Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

We are a nation of maple syrup and unicorn fart exports. Oh wait we can't do maple syrup because its cruel to trees.

Unicorn farts it is.

As much as we talk about diversification of the economy, and we need to figure that one out beyond lofty plans that say we're going to diversify our economy.

right now without the pipelines and without energy extraction. Quebec won't be getting their $15.00 a day daycare within the next couple of years, or their lofty plans for free tuition, because they balance their budget on equalization. Kathleen Wynne that nitwit who was bascially Justin's campaign manager in Ontario because she believed that he would roll out truck loads of money to her to deal with her astounding level of economic stupidity probably won't be getting money to balance out her mess.

Because the equalization share from this province and saskatchewan is going to shrink.

So idiots like the mayor of Vancouver, and ###### bag Larue in Montreal are going to see a reckoning.

Trudeau's lofty plan to throw money at the first nations, well that's going to dry up to.

Right now, the environomental movement with its funding from Tides and Rockerfeller, who are funded by the Saudi's and American Oil Interests have succeeded in starting the fracturing of this country.

If those pipelines for whatever reason get slowed down or delayed, you can bet that the resentment from this province will be similar to the bad old days in the 70's and 80's and it will become a big part of the Alberta provincial election since Notley's so called we will put in a carbon tax and the social license of it will get those pipelines approved, and might evolve into some pretty interesting screw the rest of this country retoric.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #29
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Why would Vancouver see a reckoning? Do you actually think any provincial government in Alberta is going to act out your weird intimidation and revenge fantasies?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 10:12 AM   #30
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/justin-trudea...vil-1785998456

We are witnessing the start of a cult following. Next up North Kor.. er... Canada

/green text .... i hope
Old 08-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
^^Why would Vancouver see a reckoning? Do you actually think any provincial government in Alberta is going to act out your weird intimidation and revenge fantasies?
Well lets see, we've already killed the idea of buying electricity from BC, we're already sending our desparately unemployed to Vancouver to live off of their dime.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:53 AM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robertson is likely to get a reckoning simply because they seem to dislike him there almost as much as we do. There are consistently a bunch of things on my Facebook referring to him as "Mayor Moonbeam". I now read he's trying to demolish the downtown viaducts, which aren't even halfway through their useful life. How that guy still has a job is beyond me.
If you were given the option to pay 45 cents to predict the outcome of a coin flip, and if correct in your prediction you win a dollar, you may lose 45 cents on the first try. You may even lose 90 cents after the second try. But if you keep betting, you'll end up ahead in the long term. This is the value of analytics. They do not describe destiny, only the likeliest result.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #33
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Robertson is a goon. There are rumours that he's taken a bunch of money from the US for his pipeline advocacy. Also, loves talking about the housing crisis and foreign money, but was caught flipping a house last year for a big mark-up.

Industry has been trying to call out the hypocrisy over pipelines in the Lower Mainland for years. If government actually backed them up, this whole thing would be over in a day.

Regular indigenous people want these projects to go through. Regular people get a few months work, and there would be generous Impact Benefit Agreements and Revenue Sharing in place. The bag of cash has been open for a long time now.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #34
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well lets see, we've already killed the idea of buying electricity from BC, we're already sending our desparately unemployed to Vancouver to live off of their dime.
And the BC economy hasn't really skipped a beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Robertson is likely to get a reckoning simply because they seem to dislike him there almost as much as we do. There are consistently a bunch of things on my Facebook referring to him as "Mayor Moonbeam". I now read he's trying to demolish the downtown viaducts, which aren't even halfway through their useful life. How that guy still has a job is beyond me.
Right but it has nothing to do with pipelines. Hell, Robertson and Clark would probably relish some nutjob WR premier trying to do the stuff CC has suggested in the past because it would probably help them get re-elected.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:29 PM   #35
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Robertson is a goon. There are rumours that he's taken a bunch of money from the US for his pipeline advocacy.
Most anti-pipeline groups have, so there's no real surprise there.

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #36
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
And the BC economy hasn't really skipped a beat.
Just wait til the housing bubble bursts.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #37
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just wait til the housing bubble bursts.
I think that depends. Tourism is booming as well with the way the dollar is.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:19 PM   #38
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think that depends. Tourism is booming as well with the way the dollar is.
Would you like a high-paying job as a Gastown tour guide?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:41 PM   #39
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would you like a high-paying job as a Gastown tour guide?
The dudes who do the Kabuki cabs out here make fortune on the cruise ship crowd every summer. I think the coast and the island will be fine. Vancouver has the film industry still and Victoria has their burgeoning tech industry. If the mining industry goes belly-up in the interior then there could be some big issues.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #40
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kellie Leitch, Patrick Brown, Brian Jean... Conservative politicians in Canada cannot get out of their own way.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote