Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canadian Federal Politics Thread

I think we can probably kill the 2015 election thread and start anew. I swore I already created this thread once but was too lazy to do a search. Anyways, here's an article from notorious right-wing rag, HuffPost, that posits the Trudeau we're presented with through social media against Trudeau the Prime Minister.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/james-d..._11594200.html

Quote:
It's been 10 months, and Liberal voters are still having a difficult time seeing past the glossy veneer slathered on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. They have yet to acknowledge that their aspirational leader is anything other than the exact antithesis to their ideological enemy, Stephen Harper.

If you try talking about tough issues, issues that run counter to his best-guy-ever image, you are met with a list of rebuttals completely absolving Trudeau, and then it's just a quick pivot to the ever popular anti-Harper talking points. It never fails. Ever.

The Saudi arms deal? Harper did it. But couldn't Trudeau have stopped the deal? Sure, but then the Saudis might sue us for not building the weapons they use against civilian populations. Duh. Also, it's all Harper's fault.

The latest reinvention is also about weapons, only this time it will be more difficult to square with the heavily promoted idea that Canada is back to its peacekeeping roots. Canada is now the second biggest arms dealer when it comes to supplying that peaceful oasis known as the Middle East with high-grade weaponry. That's right, folks, our uber-progressive prime minister, known for his feminist bona fides and yoga poses, now leads a country where arms manufacturers thrive more than ever before.

But a pattern has emerged since last October, and it includes a prime minister who uses the photo op to distract the public from the more conservative facets of his party's agenda.

Think about it. Most non-conservatives I know would rightfully rail against any conservative prime minister for a number of items on the Trudeau action plan. Imagine Prime Minister Jason Kenney ushering in the era of Middle East weapons distribution. Or how about Prime Minster Peter McKay quietly firing dozens of environmental scientists? Or let's imagine Prime Minister Tim Hudak refusing to speak directly on the draconian measures in Bill C-51.

When was the last time you heard anyone in the government talk about pipelines, arms deals, fired scientists, criminal records for pot possession, Bill C-51, the Trans-Pacific Partnership or any of the other big-ticket issues? Now, think of how easy is it to recall Trudeau marching in a parade, jogging with a world leader, joking with Obama, photobombing a wedding or the litany of other non-substantive moments in his first year as leader.

The contrast between Photo-op Justin and Policy Trudeau is stark, and there does not seem to be a shift in strategy coming out of the PMO.

The media, meanwhile, is complicit, if not galvanized by the difference in styles between Harper and Trudeau. They seem to be playing along, willful dance partners in a communications tango, singing from the PMO songbook by covering Trudeau as if he were a rock star and not a world leader.

After a decade of zero access to the prime minister's office, members of the press seem just happy to be there, forgetting their role as an institution whose existence is to call truth to power, not publish photos that will garner the most clicks.

This calculation is duplicitous; it showcases an accessible leader but one with little time to get into the specifics of the policies that run counter to Trudeau's reputation of a real progressive. Keep giving the media the casual, approachable Trudeau, but keep the centre-right material in the vault.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I mean, he's not wrong.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

No he's not and it was something I often thought leading up to the election. The Liberals were always going to rule more centre-right than centre-left. It was right in their platform. They just did a great job of hiding it behind "progressive" social policies and a well-orchestrated social media blitz.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is good news for Alberta and Pipelines. The Center Right Liberals have always on balance been good for Canada. The only move of his id really criticize is the Saudi arms deal in exchange for a few hundred jobs. Otherwise, and we'll see if energy east and trams mountain get built he seems to be effective.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I'm pretty pleased so far. I'm getting most of what I wanted (done or in progress). Feeling pretty positive about politics in this country right now (Doesn't hurt that the TurdTornado in the states makes everywhere else look much better by comparison).

__________________________________________________ _

Interesting note: I got polled a week ago or so by Mainstreet and after the usual political preference questions It referenced the possibility of a by-election in my riding (I live in Harper's riding) and asked about my impression of/hypothetical contest voting preference if the Liberal candidate were Brendan Myles or Jon Cornish or Chima Nkemdirim. Could just be a fun media poll but I wonder if the Liberals (or one of the potential candidates) are testing out the viability of star candidates.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
calgarygeologist
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Stephen Harper is stepping down from his role as MP today.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
Redliner
First Line Centre

Exp:

While it is encouraging (for me) that the Liberal government seems to have adopted a center right stance, what is more concerning is what the article says about Trudeau's leadership so far - lots of selfies, no substance. Admittedly I am not a member of Justin's fan club, but even beyond partisan preferences I honestly can not think of one single thing he has actually done since taking power other than just showing up to get his picture taken. I guess if we as Canadians are happy with our leaders being vacuous social media mavens then it's great, but personally I expect a lot more from the guy who is supposed to be running the country.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
belsarius
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
While it is encouraging (for me) that the Liberal government seems to have adopted a center right stance, what is more concerning is what the article says about Trudeau's leadership so far - lots of selfies, no substance. Admittedly I am not a member of Justin's fan club, but even beyond partisan preferences I honestly can not think of one single thing he has actually done since taking power other than just showing up to get his picture taken. I guess if we as Canadians are happy with our leaders being vacuous social media mavens then it's great, but personally I expect a lot more from the guy who is supposed to be running the country.
He's much more than a selfie.. he's also the House of Commons bouncer.

Yakupov: this is first time I've played on really, really good team. I think it's awesome, I don't know what winning is.
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
MattyC
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever your thoughts on Trudeau, this is pretty entertaining and Trudeau does very well.

Check out my comics Boris Got Out and Humanity Ltd. through my website! Also found on Facebook and Twitter!

www.badartcomics.com
MattyC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattyC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
Iggy City
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
He's much more than a selfie.. he's also the House of Commons bouncer.
Hahaha oh yes, lets bring that up again.
Iggy City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Well so far his party has launched their investigation into missing indigenous women, cut taxes for the "middle class" and raised them for those making over 200k, restored the long form census, tripled their promise of a $10 billion deficit, earmarked money for new reserve infrastructure, sold arms to Saudi Arabia... Country is still in a honeymoon phase and thusly shirtless pictures garner more attention than what has been to date, a failure to deliver on election promises and inaction.

I don't want no teenage queen, I just want my M14.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hopefully he gets a hold of the entitlement that's starting to creep in with his MP's.

17000 for a photographer, over 3000 to a liberal supporter who provided a limo service to the Minister of health.

I don't have many problems with Trudeau except for the deficit that he's going to run, the child care credit is yet to be seen on whether its well thought out or not.

His climate change targets were basically Harpers, as is the money that he's distributing, so he really hasn't done much except provide sound bites.

His peacekeeping concept is idiotic as well.

It's year 2 and on when he actually has to do work that time will tell
Old 08-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #13
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah I didn't expect the party to keep every promise but tripling their ten billion dollar deficit to thirty billion is a tough pill to swallow.

The rest likely amounts to window dressing for the majority of Canadians. That or they simply don't know what's happening with the liberal party other than JT seemingly battles farmers tan everywhere he goes in public.

Old 08-26-2016, 06:37 PM   #14
CampbellsTransgressions
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Well so far his party has launched their investigation into missing indigenous women, cut taxes for the "middle class" and raised them for those making over 200k, restored the long form census, tripled their promise of a $10 billion deficit, earmarked money for new reserve infrastructure, sold arms to Saudi Arabia... Country is still in a honeymoon phase and thusly shirtless pictures garner more attention than what has been to date, a failure to deliver on election promises and inaction.
What I'm curious about is when all the promised infrastructure spending is going to start happening. It's not really Keynesian if the country is out of a recession by the time you start spending.

Trudeau to me appears to be a closet conservative much like Paul Martin, though obviously without the financial background.

Hence why he hasn't broke the bank yet. It's all a very strange ploy to look fiscally responsible, which is what many were saying when the budget first came around.

Edit: though I suppose most of the spending was never going to be on infrastructure to begin with, which is the strangest part of all this.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:45 PM   #15
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
What I'm curious about is when all the promised infrastructure spending is going to start happening. It's not really Keynesian if the country is out of a recession by the time you start spending.

Trudeau to me appears to be a closet conservative much like Paul Martin, though obviously without the financial background.

Hence why he hasn't broke the bank yet. It's all a very strange ploy to look fiscally responsible, which is what many were saying when the budget first came around.

Edit: though I suppose most of the spending was never going to be on infrastructure to begin with, which is the strangest part of all this.
What?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:04 PM   #16
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post

The liberals have promised to more than double the amount of federal spending on infrastructure. For projects outside of the reserves I'm not sure where that money will go. The usual all encompassing platitudes of public transit, roads, bridges ect apply.

Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 PM   #17
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's trying his best, throwing money at everything, to get to deficit to prove that Harper left him a mess but so far they're having trouble. Doesn't matter, the belibers still insist that the budget wasn't balanced. They have tripled their deficit promises from the election so when it comes in at "only" double they will be heralded as great fiscal stewards. Yay we got our country back!!!
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #18
2Stonedbirds
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

"We will have a balanced budget in four years."

Yeah, I think you nailed it Jacks.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:31 AM   #19
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canadian economy shrinks in second quarter; biggest drop in 7 years.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadas-ec...-business.html

The disasters are piling up quickly.
RyZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:37 AM   #20
puffnstuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

And theres this too

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...ticle31610177/
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote