Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #401
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I'm actually considering skipping out on getting NHL 18 at launch this year and just subscribing to EA Access and waiting for it to come out there. I don't play sports games as frequent as I used to so I'm starting to feel like I'm not getting my money's worth by getting it at launch.
At the very least if you can wait 2 months you can get it for half price around the holidays. This year it was $40 by December 5th (on sale).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #402
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Looks like we'll (probably) get a comically short teaser tomorrow.
Quote:
#NHL18
First Look Tomorrow.
Full Reveal at NHL Awards. https://twitter.com/EASPORTSNHL/stat...055682/photo/1
Old 06-06-2017, 02:06 PM   #403
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

So do we get to do an expansion draft this year?
CMPunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #404
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
So do we get to do an expansion draft this year?
I may be totally making this up, but I'm pretty sure that was a part of the "what features are important to you" questionnaire that went out to select people a few months back.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #405
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard they're maybe finally putting in some Be A GM stuff I've been asking for for ages.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #406
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ho hum

Another year with ####ty "new" old features, gimmicks, bigger hits and magic dekes with a price increase. Meanwhile my D goes for a coffee instead of defending his man on a rush and my goalie is fooled by the exact same inside outside deke/shot every
single time.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #407
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Ho hum

Another year with ####ty "new" old features, gimmicks, bigger hits and magic dekes with a price increase. Meanwhile my D goes for a coffee instead of defending his man on a rush and my goalie is fooled by the exact same inside outside deke/shot every
single time.

Always good to get the complaints out early. Before the first announcement even!
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #408
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

So all they added was the mouthguard in the trailer.....

I hate how much ice spray they have in the game as well, you hardly see that much spray from gliding or making a hard stride.

https://www.easports.com/nhl?utm_cam...=1496854437328
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #409
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also love how EA somehow botched the trailer. Pointed out on twitter Marner's stick tape and stick change part way through the clip.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #410
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like another roster update for $75! Ohhh wow you have mouthguards

Perhaps there is a lot more int eh actual trailer but that "teaser" was a waste of time.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #411
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Every year. Every single year you guys are shocked and let down. Maybe I'm crazy and it's a new crop of people who are just now realizing you can set your watch to these events.

Then again, every year I'm also shocked by the negativity, so I guess I'm just as bad.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:56 PM   #412
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've never fully understood the negativity. I was a big fan of the 2K series in its early days and it was definitely good having a couple of competing games on the market, but EA's version of hockey is the best form that video game hockey has ever taken in its history up until now. Whether or not the series has somewhat stagnated a bit due to lack of competition is up for debate, but the game plays extremely well and looks good, so to be so dismissive on the basis of a 30 second trailer seems a bit strange. The high fidelity of the game nowadays means that inherently most improvements that the series makes will be on the basis of diminishing returns and seem a bit iterative.

That being said, it would be nice to see them try something out of left field, and there's always room for improvement in certain areas. The game still needs far more authentic faces. Some of the prominent ones are obvious and quite well done (Johnny, Gio, etc.), but it seems like a lot of players still have generic ones, and if they've been individually rendered, they're done poorly so it's tough to tell anyway.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:02 PM   #413
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Always good to get the complaints out early. Before the first announcement even!
He's not wrong...
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #414
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chuckled at Otto's criticism of the teaser...that's supposed to be green text right? I mean, for a few years now you've been able to edit how players tape their stick, and you hate how much ice gets sprayed when skating? Not to mention how negative you are while assuming all theyve added is a mouth guard....

...it's just missing the green text, right?
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #415
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Chuckled at Otto's criticism of the teaser...that's supposed to be green text right? I mean, for a few years now you've been able to edit how players tape their stick, and you hate how much ice gets sprayed when skating? Not to mention how negative you are while assuming all theyve added is a mouth guard....

...it's just missing the green text, right?
Somewhat green text.

When has EA come out with a truly new feature for the NHL series, most of the things they've added have been in the previous gen versions. It's probably been over a decade of the same base game, it's just I'm not going to expect any massive changes.

I only pointed out the stick tape since it was mentioned on twitter by numerous people that his physical stick and tape color change half way through his deke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 02:04 AM   #416
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be back when they reintroduce some form of GM connected and not before.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #417
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'll be back when they reintroduce some form of GM connected and not before.
We had a pretty fun league here on CP, it would be nice to have that feature back.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #418
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
We had a pretty fun league here on CP, it would be nice to have that feature back.
My greatest sadness about that mode is they report little interest in doing it again because it wasn't widely used, yet they refuse to acknowledge why it wasn't widely used. Remember the menus? If they had that mode functioning properly it would be far more popular in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #419
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's really lack of competition that has caused the game to stagnate. It's lack of sales and, therefore, lack of budget. Over the Xbox One and PS4 platform they sold 1 million units of NHL 17. That's dwarfed by FIFA and Madden.

On VGCharts if I list the EASports history they've sold about 450 million games(on what's tracked). NHL series account for 5% of those sales. Top year for the game (NHL 2002) they sold a mere 1.6 mil copies across all platforms. It's not a growing market.

It's likely really only worth it for EA to continue the franchise if they completely minimize costs. If they decide to invest major money it is likely going to be into something they believe will grow in sales (or a new market area) rather than a game that is going to sell 800k-1.2 mil no matter what they do. They can make the worst game ever and sell a million copies. They could also make the best game the world has ever seen for hockey and sell a million copies.

Last edited by ernie; 06-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 09:27 PM   #420
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I don't think it's really lack of competition that has caused the game to stagnate. It's lack of sales and, therefore, lack of budget. Over the Xbox One and PS4 platform they sold 1 million units of NHL 17. That's dwarfed by FIFA and Madden.

On VGCharts if I list the EASports history they've sold about 450 million games(on what's tracked). NHL series account for 5% of those sales. Top year for the game (NHL 2002) they sold a mere 1.6 mil copies across all platforms. It's not a growing market.

It's likely really only worth it for EA to continue the franchise if they completely minimize costs. If they decide to invest major money it is likely going to be into something they believe will grow in sales (or a new market area) rather than a game that is going to sell 800k-1.2 mil no matter what they do. They can make the worst game ever and sell a million copies. They could also make the best game the world has ever seen for hockey and sell a million copies.
Except for the fact they've made an extraordinary amount of extra revenue through HUT. Though it does explain why that mode gets all the attention.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote