Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
EverfresH15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Layoffs in the Oil Patch 2

Connacher laid off 14 ppl yesterday. Not crazy but still crappy.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #2
peter12
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wife got the axe yesterday. Small environmental consulting firm. Not sure if it's worth her bothering to look really hard right now or take the time off and go on a vacation.
Which firm? The bigger firms have been bleeding people all year but managed to hang on due to the back-log of pipeline work from the past 5 years. I am just waiting until they let 50% of their remaining staff go.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I pm'd you, but it's interesting the "bare minimum" approach that oil companies can fall back on when it comes to site clean up. It does have a fairly significant affect on the service based industries.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Logistics jobs with what kind of companies? If there is an opportunity I'm all over it.

Yes I have looked into moving. Have not had any offers or opportunity and I'm not sure where to look.
Bison transport is one that I heard is expanding aggressively. They're a big company.

Indeed has some posted. That's my job hunting go to website.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #5
Violator
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My current job is brutal in that the work is grueling, which I could handle, if the pay wasn't so pathetic. I'm slowly going under and at this rate I won't make it much longer. Any jobs anywhere that are worth looking into where I could earn 20$ an hour or even just a living wage? I am not going to survive much longer with the way things are.
You could try applying at Standens just left to go back to oil and gas and i know they are hiring.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Violator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #6
calgarygeologist
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Are there any field positions or non traditional jobs worth looking into? I have a geophysics degree and never got an opportunity, networked for a solid 16 months now and not even a shred of hope ever showed itself. The focused nature of the degree is proving incredibly limiting and with the economy the way it is I can't break into anything remotely desirable.

My current job is brutal in that the work is grueling, which I could handle, if the pay wasn't so pathetic. I'm slowly going under and at this rate I won't make it much longer. Any jobs anywhere that are worth looking into where I could earn 20$ an hour or even just a living wage? I am not going to survive much longer with the way things are.
If you can ( not tied down with a family) look internationally and getting onto a seismic survey vessel. The industry has slowed but there may still be some opportunities out there. It can lead into a very lucrative career in a number of different roles.

I worked with a young Geomatics Engineer who left and went to work on a vessel in SE Asia. He worked on the ship for about three years before taking a corporate position in Houston. He has a lot more career opportunities ahead of him when compared with us unfortunate guys who stuck around at a sinking company.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Girlfriend's dad said two people from his department (D&C) at Husky got cut yesterday.
HarryH93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:43 AM   #8
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://business.financialpost.com/ne...or-4-3-billion

Suncor to buy Canadian Oil Sands
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #9
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
This deal makes sense. Suncor is a good miner and they can help steamline COS's operation. It's not good for jobs as Suncor will trim positions that are redundant after the merger.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strictly anecdotal, but in our small office building, which houses a bunch of tech and business support companies, as well as a developer, the underground parkade is looking pretty airy...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #11
PaperBagger'14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Random buzz I've heard is that tuesday is d-day at conoco. Nothing is 100%, because they've been laying off sparingly since the announcement in September.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Strictly anecdotal, but in our small office building, which houses a bunch of tech and business support companies, as well as a developer, the underground parkade is looking pretty airy...
Which building is that?

My LinkedIn Profile
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #13
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
This deal makes sense. Suncor is a good miner and they can help steamline COS's operation. It's not good for jobs as Suncor will trim positions that are redundant after the merger.
COS has no operations, they own a 30-ought% stake of Syncrude who runs the mines independently of the owners.

Status quo at Syncrude, and likely a few layoffs at COSI who don't get picked up by Suncor if/when deal closes.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
Lubicon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well it's round two for our company today. I don't think this one will be as large as the initial round back in the spring which was about 20-25% but still will be significant. That said, my group which is quite small will be down 50% in headcount by the end of the year between layoffs and maternity leaves. We also found out our wage rollbacks everyone took back in the spring are now considered permanant.

I'm in the drilling service side of O&G.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
Tolwyn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

We've heard news of most of the EPCMs... any word on how Fluor is doing? I know they'll probably be ok for another quarter or so, but some jobs must be winding down now?
Tolwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:24 PM   #16
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
COS has no operations, they own a 30-ought% stake of Syncrude who runs the mines independently of the owners.

Status quo at Syncrude, and likely a few layoffs at COSI who don't get picked up by Suncor if/when deal closes.
Right, forgot that COS is just like a Holdco now and Imperial is the operator. Bet Suncor is betting on this is the low and hold to snatch up some barrels on the cheap.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #17
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/na...116/story.html

"Out-of-work oilpatch workers to blame for Edmonton’s crime rise, police chief says — and he can prove it"

I think this is a preposterous assertion.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #18
kunkstyle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this is a preposterous assertion.
Why? Calgary seems to be trending the same way looking at the CPS stats. And it's not like crime doesn't follow unemployment elsewhere.

Granted it might not be strictly people that were working up in Ft Mac or Cold Lake, but likely tied to the downturn.
kunkstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #19
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Why? Calgary seems to be trending the same way looking at the CPS stats.
I have a hard time believing people will just transform from productive employees to criminals and back as the economy changes.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #20
kunkstyle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a hard time believing people will just transform from productive employees to criminals and back as the economy changes.
Serious question, have you ever worked up north? It's not that big a stretch.

And saying "increased crime rate" is rather vague. It's not like it's bank robberies or large scale serial killings. Could be increases in petty theft, or someone loses their job, hits the bottle, then hits his wife.

A poster here had his generator stolen on a camping trip in broad daylight (don't remember who). I would assume someone in an RV park with a new diesel and RV that took it, was employed somewhere. Being a productive employee and being a criminal are not exactly mutually exclusive.
kunkstyle is offline   Reply With Quote